Updated Playoff Histories for Lumberton, Kirbyville, Dayton, WO-S and Newton

WOS87

Not to jinx anybody but I just realized that neither Lumberton, Kirbyville nor Dayton have EVER advanced past the 3rd round of the playoffs in the history of their respective programs.  Here's hoping all 3 make history this week!

Newton will be playing their 78th playoff game ever, WO-S their 51st, Dayton their 37th, Kirbyville their 27th and of course Lumberton their 3rd and all 5 teams will be playing opponents they've never faced in the playoffs before. 

Lumberton Playoff History

lumbertonplayoff.gif

Kirbyville Playoff History

kirbyvilleplayoff.gif

Dayton Playoff History

daytonplayoff.gif

West Orange-Stark Playoff History

wosplayoff.gif

Newton Playoff History

newtonplayoff.gif

Not to sound picky, but Livingston is close to the triangle and I was wondering if you had any playoff info on them?

Here you go....  prior to their Bi-District win this year, Livingston's most recent playoff win (not settled by a tiebreaker) was in 1935!!

Livingston Playoff History

livingstonplayoff.gif

Which year did they stop doing the Regional Championship system and go to State Championship system.

It's a rather complicated and convoluted history but I'll try to make it simple as possible:

In 1926 there were only two classifications Class A and Class B.  Class A teams played to a state title.  Class B teams only played one Bi-District game and that was it. 

Starting in 1928 the UIL allowed the Class B teams to play a 2nd round playoff game and multiple Class B Regional Champs were named from then up until 1939.

In 1939 the UIL expanded the Classification system and introduced a Class 2A (which played to a state title), a Class 1A which played to a Regional championship, and the Class B teams were once again only allowed to play one bi-district game.

In 1946 the UIL started allowing BOTH Class B and Class 1A teams to play to a Regional Championship.

In 1951 the UIL expanded yet again to the modern system of five 11-man classifications (4A, 3A, 2A, 1A and B).  The four larger classifications were allowed to play to a state championship but the Class B schools continued to only play two playoff games with multiple regional champions named every year until 1972.

In 1972 the Regional championship system was finally abolished and all 5 classifications played to a state title.

So the simple answer to your question is 1972.

This explains why there are many programs that have undefeated seasons prior to 1972 but no state titles (i.e. Barbers Hill has had 7 seasons going undefeated but only 2 state titles, Hamshire-Fannett went 12-0-0 in it's first year of existence in 1961,  Hull-Daisetta went 11-0-0 three consecutive years back in the late 1930's when they held the national record for consecutive wins - 43 in a row,  PN-G's only perfect season was in 1946 when they went 11-0-0 and were 1A regional champs)

Guest TravelingBandsman

What was the first year that they started the UIL system of high school football district and playoff seasons. I mean to say, when did high school football in Texas start in the way we know it today.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124