Sealy (22) @ Silsbee (35) - FINAL

jdawg03

Was at the game in the rain last night.  Silsbee wins that game by a big margin on a dry track.  Sealy’s offense isn’t going to break any speed limits or put up a bunch of points on a good team. I was surprised by the trouble Silsbee had coming out of halftime with the additional tackle on the line by Sealy for a while.

The refs did a pretty good job of trying to keep the kids in check.  Lots of warnings before starting to throw flags.  Then offsetting penalties, and then finally catching the blatant stuff.  

Sadly, neither team put on a great display of sportsmanship.  Sealy has a few hot heads that will get involved in the trash and has largely played undisciplined all year under this new head coach.  But besides LaMarque, Silsbee certainly did the most trash talk, standing over players after the hit and talking, and getting into players’ faces that I have seen this season. It was very close to a fight when 3 Silsbee defenders went into the Sealy sideline at the end of a play with a late hit called in the 4th quarter.  I have always told my son to let your play speak for itself.  My point in saying that is Silsbee is a good enough team to go far in these playoffs but as others have said, that type of extra stuff could cost them in a tight game.  

Good luck to Silsbee moving forward and hopefully the players injured last night are able to go next week   

Edited by Speck430
Typos

34 minutes ago, Speck430 said:

The refs did a pretty good job of trying to keep the kids in check.  Lots of warnings before starting to throw flags.  Then offsetting penalties, and then finally catching the blatant stuff

I agree with your whole post except for the above statement. The refs did too little too late. Take control early and set the tone. 

7 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

You might be right about last night, but every week it’s somebody new mixing it up with Silsbee. And it’s not just this year… it happens year after year. 

No it used to happen year after year.  The last few years have been different until this one.  But I do believe what Mike said above teams are coming in and taking advantage of it and we have to stop letting them get to us.

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

I agree with your whole post except for the above statement. The refs did too little too late. Take control early and set the tone. 

I think they tried to let the kids play before impacting the game with dead ball penalties.  I respect that, too.  I agree that they should have warned everyone after it escalated, started penalizing the player starting each instance, and ultimately tossing the ones that can’t act correctly. 

You would think in a win or go home scenario, the kids could shut up and just play.  Sealy’s dead ball foul on Silsbee’s final drive killed their chances (remote as they were).

1 hour ago, Tigers94 said:

Coach can let his players know not to hurt the team with extra stuff and I'm sure he does, but he's also under pressure to win football games. I wouldn't expect any benching of players to happen. Not unless they do something really crazy bad.

We just need to hope for good news on the injury front.

The extra day of rest if next weeks game is played on Friday will help im sure. 

2 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

Coach can let his players know not to hurt the team with extra stuff and I'm sure he does, but he's also under pressure to win football games. I wouldn't expect any benching of players to happen. Not unless they do something really crazy bad.

We just need to hope for good news on the injury front.

I agree. That should’ve happened before this point.