Port Neches-Groves (38) @ Fort Bend Willowridge (20) FINAL

jdawg03

Definitely an off day for the Indians yesterday. I think they left a lot of intensity on the field after FBM, and some more in Texas City, and then have a Saturday 1pm game on the road, and they were pretty laid back, relaxed, and mostly flat, against a charged up WR team. Dropped passes, missed tackles, missed blocks, high snaps, missed coverage, motion penalties, misc other 15 yard penalties, and still scored 38, while allowing 20. Plus the band left for UIL competition immediately after what appeared to be a shortened halftime. Then in the 4th qtr near the end of the game, the refs told the WR band to stop playing. The quiet in the stadium was sort of weird, actually. All around, it was a weird game, and like someone else already said, it oddly seemed more like a practice than it did a game. I sent my usual after-game text to my grandson, and all his reply said was "the coaches are not too happy". 

Uh oh, practice, here we come, is what comes to my mind. Hopefully they will take it all out on Dayton next Friday. 

1 hour ago, 1970 said:

Definitely an off day for the Indians yesterday. I think they left a lot of intensity on the field after FBM, and some more in Texas City, and then have a Saturday 1pm game on the road, and they were pretty laid back, relaxed, and mostly flat, against a charged up WR team. Dropped passes, missed tackles, missed blocks, high snaps, missed coverage, motion penalties, misc other 15 yard penalties, and still scored 38, while allowing 20. Plus the band left for UIL competition immediately after what appeared to be a shortened halftime. Then in the 4th qtr near the end of the game, the refs told the WR band to stop playing. The quiet in the stadium was sort of weird, actually. All around, it was a weird game, and like someone else already said, it oddly seemed more like a practice than it did a game. I sent my usual after-game text to my grandson, and all his reply said was "the coaches are not too happy". 

Uh oh, practice, here we come, is what comes to my mind. Hopefully they will take it all out on Dayton next Friday. 

At the risk of sounding unreasonably optimistic or contrarian, sometimes a flat game with lots of mistakes is exactly what a coaching staff needs to light a fire under the players' arses, restore the focus and bring back some motivation. I'm hoping that's what the Willowridge game will turn out to be for the Indians.

1 hour ago, pakronos said:

the refs told the WR band to stop playing. ......interesting....let them try it with PAM lol

Yep. He told them not to play and they immediately stopped until the next play was over, then they cranked up again. Then he went to the sideline and then to the bleachers and spoke to the bandleader, and they didn't play again until the game ended if I recall right. 

He didn't throw a flag though, for band interference, like a ref did last season in one of the playoff games. 

On 10/9/2023 at 6:34 PM, 1970 said:

Yep. He told them not to play and they immediately stopped until the next play was over, then they cranked up again. Then he went to the sideline and then to the bleachers and spoke to the bandleader, and they didn't play again until the game ended if I recall right. 

He didn't throw a flag though, for band interference, like a ref did last season in one of the playoff games. 

i literally was explaining this to my gf at the game friday. there is technically a rule that states the band can't play during plays. it must be before and immediately after or during a time out. i think drums can still play. these rules are followed in college, but not hs...geez, what a richard head.

On 10/10/2023 at 9:18 PM, pakronos said:

i literally was explaining this to my gf at the game friday. there is technically a rule that states the band can't play during plays. it must be before and immediately after or during a time out. i think drums can still play. these rules are followed in college, but not hs...geez, what a richard head.

It was all the same when it happened to us. Drums weren't different rules. Coach Hooks made us aware that should never happen again. 

• WOSdrummer99 changed the title to Port Neches-Groves (38) @ Fort Bend Willowridge (20) FINAL