Beaumont Doctor Pleads Guilty to Sexually Assaulting Patient

bullets13

2 hours ago, thetragichippy said:

How is he getting/offered a plea deal if the victim wants to go to trial? I thought that was up to the victim, 

This was pointed out to me by an Assistant District Attorney when I went to detectives in about 1998. It is from the Code of Criminal Procedures in Chapter 2, Duties of Officers.

It shall be the primary duty of all prosecuting attorneys, including any special prosecutors, not to convict, but to see that justice is done. They shall not suppress facts or secrete witnesses capable of establishing the innocence of the accused.

“Justice” is in the eyes of the DA.

The DA’s duty is not to get convictions and not to prosecute “to the fullest extent of the law” or what is justice from the opinion of the victim.

At times we would send cases to the DA for review and it would be refused and returned “In the interest of Justice”. I translated that as, you proved the case detective but we don’t think this is worthy of prosecuting and only our opinion counts. 

16 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

This was pointed out to me by an Assistant District Attorney when I went to detectives in about 1998. It is from the Code of Criminal Procedures in Chapter 2, Duties of Officers.

It shall be the primary duty of all prosecuting attorneys, including any special prosecutors, not to convict, but to see that justice is done. They shall not suppress facts or secrete witnesses capable of establishing the innocence of the accused.

“Justice” is in the eyes of the DA.

The DA’s duty is not to get convictions and not to prosecute “to the fullest extent of the law” or what is justice from the opinion of the victim.

At times we would send cases to the DA for review and it would be refused and returned “In the interest of Justice”. I translated that as, you proved the case detective but we don’t think this is worthy of prosecuting and only our opinion counts. 

I have never been more wrong on any opinion in my life. wow

3 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

You have been in a first responder’s position also. You know that what goes on behind the scenes is sometimes way different than what the public perceives or realizes.

Absolutely. This is one I've never thought about. 

I also try to stay as far away from legal issues as possible....lol