Run vs. Pass

Guest Ozen

Run vs. Pass

My question is what has happened to that good old three yards and a cloud of dust kind of offense? It seems like everywhere you look there's another spread offense. Has the run opens up the pass theory gone out the window in the last few years? Does anybody think that the good old days of clock management will ever come back into play

In the spread, you are spreading the field and making the other team defend on the perimeter. Getting guys out of the box allows teams to compete against these bigger and more physical programs. You are making teams decide if they are going to keep people in the box or defend against the pass.

And because of this offense, coaches doesn’t obsess about having 275-pound lineman across the front.

They say the offensive and defensive lines are where you win and lose games so coaches figure if they can get guys out of the box, then they don’t need to manhandle people on the line. If they can hang on to thier blocks for two seconds they will get rid of the ball. The key is to get off the ball and stay low. You don’t really need big, physical linemen in this offense.

I'm the traditional power I or single back formation guy.  I'll run it till you stop it.  If I'm winning in the trenches,  Imma keep doing it.  I dont' mind a low scoring game.  And I'm definately not a fan of the spread at all as yall can probably see from some of my posts this year.

I'm with ya Soulja, just like Switzer said when he was at OU in the 70's "three things can happen when you pass and two of them are not good".Burnett got a lot of pressure to change to the spread at the beginning of the season, and uh well we saw how long that lasted.Yes you do have to be able to pass some to be able to run, but I feel the spread offense is not the answer for everyone. I like power, smash mouth,ball and clock control.

I'm an old Olineman so I tend to favor smashmouth schemes but I also realize you must throw to be succesful therefore I'll talk the Pro-I apporach and my TE's will have at least 3-500 yards in receptions.  That way, my WR's can't be doubled up, and they can't stack 8-9 in the box to stop the run.  Plus, my kids would have more scholarship opportunities and I don't have to wait for a savior-type player to resurrect the program

The reason is simple. Look at Bay City vs Texas City last week. Some fumbles deep and they're down 28-0. If your team is one-two-three and a cloud of dust, the problem is you might score 21 points, but you've got to hope the opposing team doesn't score anymore, and even if they don't, you've probably run out of time because you've been running for two to three or four yards up the middle, staying in bounds and the clock is running. This is why people shucked the wishbone. If you got behind, it worked against you for making a comeback.

Guest tigersvoice

I'm with ya Soulja, just like Switzer said when he was at OU in the 70's "three things can happen when you pass and two of them are not good".Burnett got a lot of pressure to change to the spread at the beginning of the season, and uh well we saw how long that lasted.Yes you do have to be able to pass some to be able to run, but I feel the spread offense is not the answer for everyone. I like power, smash mouth,ball and clock control.

Hey pngfan#1 - that was Darrell Royal's quote - you remember him, don't you?

Guest WeedBegone

Hey pngfan#1 - that was Darrell Royal's quote - you remember him, don't you?

Your both right.  Royal said it and Switzer stole it.  He also stole one of his assistant coaches wives for a temporary basis in Hawaii at the Hula Hula Bowl. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont