Who is the best active high school football coach?(not all time just active)

Guest Kelly Football

Amen, Barbay knows what he's doin and he's been doing it for a LONG time

I agree that Coach Barbay is a great coach, I just don't think you can discount Coach Hooks by saying hands down. To me they are on about the same level. Just my opinion. Good luck to the Eagles this weekend.

I agreee that Coach Hooks is a great coach...didn't mean to discredit him in any way, I guess the "hands down" comes from being Eagle Alumni...

Both programs reflect strong leadership, tradition, dicipline, talent, dedication...the list could go on & on.

Both of these men consistantly have well developed programs and surround themselves with men who can help them accomplish winning season after winning season.

Best of luck to both men, their staff and teams!

Although I think Alvin Credeur is doing an excellent job in Lumberton, I think you have to go back a little bit and remember a guy that was coaching in Lumberton way before Credeur....Larry Haynes. I think he is the best coach out there. You will not find a better offensive mind or motivator than Haynes. He has won everywhere he has been...not just at one school for the past 25-30 years. If Haynes could work his magic in Lumberton, Crosby and now Hardin....his resume speaks for itself.

From Old Coach

Joe Lee Smith, Historian, Texas High School Football: Coaching Records

*The Old Coach is honored to have his old friend Joe Lee Smith writing a weekly column for the Network site.

COACHING RECORDS

by Joe Lee Smith

Historian, Texas High School Football

In this first column for The Old Coach, this appears to be the appropriate occasion to recognize the historic achievements of the many great Texas high school football coaches.

For the past 42 years, this author has exhaustingly researched and compiled records on University Interscholastic League football schools and coaches. Unfortunately, the collection is limited to U.I.L. institutions and does not include parochial, private, six or eight-man leagues or schools from the Prairie View Interscholastic League.

There are many varying records floating around in this information age and that can be attributed to many factors. Our long established guidelines are: (1) record as a head coach at a U.I.L. school, (2) forfeits are not included one way or the other, and, (3) a tie is a tie. There was a time when penetrations were used to determine the outcome of a contest in a tie game but still doesn't alter the fact that it was still a tie.

Unfortunately, the most controversial records are among the upper level leaders. One coach was thought to have more than 300 wins until it was discovered he went to another school just before the start of the season and went 0-10 instead of 7-2-1. The frenzied media credited G.A. Moore, Jr. with five wins in six-man competition and deleted eight forfeited games but this historian gives him his 407 triumphs in 11-man football. Gordon Wood's win total was reduced by two this summer after it was discovered that he was in the military when Roscoe won its opening two games in 1945 before he became the head coach.

Following are the records compiled for head football coaches of U.I.L. schools including the opening two weeks of the 2007 season. Coaches shown in all caps are active this year.

MOST WINS

407 - G.A. Moore, Jr.

394 - Gordon Wood

*326 - PHIL DANAHER

315 - Charlie Johnston

*294 - EDDY PEACH

*293 - DENNIS ALEXANDER

293 - Ray Akins

293 - Tommy Watkins

*291 - BOB SHELTON

*286 - CURTIS BARBAY

*278 - JIM STREETY

276 - Bob McQueen

272 - Monte Driskell

267 - Lucky Gamble

259 - Donald Godwin

253 - Larry Dippel

249 - John Reddell

247 - Bobby Davis

247 - Prince E. (Pete) Shotwell

*246 - Randy Allen

*242 - Joe G. Cartwright

*242 - Dan Ray Hooks

240 - Joe Hedrick

238 - George (Red) Forehand

237 - Bill Smith

234 - Bruce Bush

234 - Scott Phillips

232 - Louis Kelley

231 - Bobby Stuart

229 - Jerry Hopkins

227 - Bob Mickler

225 - Andy Griffin

225 - W.T. Stapler

224 - Paul Tyson

*223 - ALLEN SEPKOWITZ

222 - Bill Hunter

221 - Joe Clements

221 - Ron Poe

220 - Les Koenning

*213 - ALLEN WILSON

207 - Leo Brittain

207 - Tom Ritchey

207 - L.G. Wilson

206 - William (Buster) Gilbreth

206 - J.E. (Red) Willis

205 - Jerry Jones

205 - Jack Murphy

*204 - Roy Harper

*204 - Johnny Tusa

201 - Robin Byrd

200 - Ronald Bickham

200 - Mike Johnston

200 - Dan Stallworth

MOST YEARS AS A HEAD COACH

*44 - BOB SHELTON

44 - Gordon Wood

42 - Tommy Watkins

41 - Bill Hunter

41 - G.A. Moore, Jr.

38 - Bobby Davis

38 - George (Red) Forehand

*38 - EDDY PEACH

38 - John Reddell

37 - Ray Akins

*36 - DENNIS ALEXANDER

36 - Joe Hedrick

35 - Larry Dippel

35 - Donald Godwin

35 - Charlie Johnston

35 - Bobby Stuart

35 - Clayton (Butch) Woolls

*34 - PHIL DANAHER

34 - Les Koenning

*34 - JIM STREETY

*33 - CURTIS BARBAY

33 - Mal Fowler

33 - Lee Mitchell

33 - J. Murray Stephenson

33 - Joe Bob Tyler

32 - Monte Jack Driskell

32 - Mike Farda

32 - Andy Griffin

*32 - MIKE HEDRICK

32 - Rodney Hess

32 - Les Johnson

32 - Bob McQueen

*32 - RUSSELL ROBERTS

32 - Wendell Robinson

*32 - ALLEN SEPKOWITZ

32 - Prince Elmer (Pete) Shotwell

32 - Carlin Wicker

*31 - DON BROOKS

*31 - JOE G. CARTWRIGHT

31 - Joel Edwards

*31 - ROY HARPER

31 - Rufus Hyde

31 - Louis Kelley

31 - A.D. Shaver

31 - Paul Tyson

31 - J.E. (Red) Willis

30 - Ben Bloomer

30 - Phillip Holt

30 - Jerry Hopkins

30 - Jimmie Keeling

30 - Robert (Red) Lowrance

30 - Ray Overton

30 - Ron Poe

30 - Jerry Sadler

30 - W.T. Stapler

30 - L.G. Wilson

MOST YEARS AS HEAD COACH AT ONE SCHOOL

*40 - Bob Shelton, Buda Hays

*38 - Eddy Peach, Arlington Lamar

36 - Joe Hedrick, Franklin

35 - Charlie Johnston, Childress

35 - Clayton (Butch) Woolls, D'hanis

*33 - CURTIS BARBAY, Newton

*32 - ALLEN SEPKOWITZ, El Paso Andress

*31 - DON BROOKS, El Paso Coronado

*31 - JOE G. CARTWRIGHT, Boyd

31 - Larry Dippel, Amarillo

31 - Donald Godwin, Rogers

30 - Rufus Hyde, North Dallas

30 - Carlin Wicker, Fredericksburg

30 - Ron Poe, McKinney

ON THE FAST TRACK

The following active coaches are on fast tracks in their careers.

Wins Years Avg. Coach (current school)

187 16 11.7 Ron Schroeder (Bastrop)

159 15 10.4 George Harris (Gregory-Portland)

157 14 11.2 Steve Lineweaver (Euless Trinity)

148 15 9.9 Mark Reeve (Cuero)

135 13 10.4 Joey Florence (Denton Ryan)

134 13 10.3 Bill Green (Windthorst)

122 12 10.2 Bryan Erwin (Flower Mound Marcus)

FATHER AND SONS

Probably the most prolific coaching clan is the Etheredge family. Father Orville won 182 games in 27 seasons at Uvalde and LaMarque before dying suddenly at the age of 53 in 1970. Sons Lynn (152 wins in 20 years) and Bobby (127 wins in 22 campaigns and a state championship at Killeen) combined with Orville for a total of 461 victories.

I agreee that Coach Hooks is a great coach...didn't mean to discredit him in any way, I guess the "hands down" comes from being Eagle Alumni...

Both programs reflect strong leadership, tradition, dicipline, talent, dedication...the list could go on & on.

Both of these men consistantly have well developed programs and surround themselves with men who can help them accomplish winning season after winning season.

Best of luck to both men, their staff and teams!

I understand what you mean. I'm probably a little biased being a Mustang Alumni.

I saw Newton play Buna in Lufkin a few weeks ago and that was the first time I have been able to watch Coach Barbay. I've always thought that the two men must be alot alike because of the tradition and the winning tradition. However, their coaching style seems miles apart. One not better than the other. Both effective, just different.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami