Is Lamar ready to revive football?

Guest coachacola

Guest coachacola

From the article:

[tt]"At the end of January, if everything comes to pass, we would go to the students and ask them to vote on a referendum," Simmons said.

The referendum would require a simple majority from the students. If the student body votes yes, Lamar would then seek permission from the Board of Regents to institute the fee, and to bring back football, at the board's February meeting.

"We would pledge a certain amount from that (student athletic-fee) income toward seeking bonded funding for the renovations," Simmons said.

Given permission, Simmons said, the university would set about looking for a football coach "immediately."

Hopefully, Simmons said, facility renovations and recruiting would begin in 2008.

In 2009, the coach would bring in his first round of recruits and "redshirt" them - a common policy in college athletics, meaning the players practice for one season without playing in games. That fall, the team would possibly play a handful of exhibitions.

Finally, Simmons said, the team could begin playing a conference schedule as early as 2010. [/tt]

If Lamar added a $8.75 fee per semester hour, that would bring in about $2 million a year.  Also in the article Simmons says enrollment at Lamar would probably go up by 2000 students with football, which could put enrollment at over 13,000 in a few years.  This is the first concrete news I've heard about football returning so I'm pretty pumped about it.

Guest abovetherim

Thanks to the BMT Enterprise for two great articles in todays paper. I read this stuff about 6AM at the hospital in Groves seeing my grandmother. I had a lump in my throat while reading the articles.

Jimmy Simmons and Coach Billy Tubbs, you men are my hero's. I'll be on-line later tonight with more information.

Great news out of Lamar today!

Yes indeed !!!  That would be a great renovation !

I can't wait to put my butt in a seat there! 

I see you tweaked the fieldhouse a couple of times.  That'll be good, it was kinda' small.  We always locked the door on the other side of the foyer (left and infront of the training room) which gave us more room.  I always felt sorry for the visitors though (& maybe a little embarrassed). 

Guest abovetherim

Thanks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, $1.5 million is already earmarked for rebuilding the Cardinal Stadium press box, which was blown to pieces by Hurricane Rita.

This is the amount the Federal Emergency Management Agency is allocating for the press box at Cardinal Stadium but that doesn't not mean Lamar will not spend more to have the best press box in the SLC.

Guest abovetherim

In February, the Board of Regents approved $6.5 million toward improving other parts of the stadium and $3.6 million toward improving Higgins Field House. At their last meeting, however, the Board of Regents upped the number on Higgins Field House from $3.6 million to $5 million.

$5 million for the Field House should provide a 1st class facility for the Cardinals. Now, I've heard rumors of $30 million needed for the startup cost and facility upgrades for the football program. If the administration is willing to spend this type of money I don't see them hiring someone without college head coaching experience.

I agree with Rush Wood. The coaching selection is probably the most important aspect of the success of the football program.

I disagree with anyone who thinks Lamar will spend this type of money only to let the program fail again. There is no way in my lifetime if the students vote for the return of football that Cardinal fans will have to worry about the program being killed again. Think of it this way, Cardinal Stadium was built for $1 million and it's going to take $25-$30 million to start the program.

I believe Dr. Simmons and Coach Tubbs did their homework and football this time around will be successful.

Lastly, Dr. Simmons was quoted as saying "We think (adding football) would bring about 2,000 students to the university, and that improves academic funding. There's a reason they have football at Sul Ross State, Angelo State, Sam Houston and all those other places." The academic funding for an additional 2,000-3,000 students is about $5 million-$6 million annually. That isn't chump change there!

Thanks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, $1.5 million is already earmarked for rebuilding the Cardinal Stadium press box, which was blown to pieces by Hurricane Rita.

This the amount the Federal Emergency Management Agency is allocating for the press box at Cardinal Stadium but that doesn't not mean Lamar will not spend more to have the best press box in the SLC.

Good! That press box looks ridiculous right now.. the whole field does. Hopefully that can change soon!  ;D

One of the keys to a successful program is fan turn out. If lamar can produce a competitive team then the stands fill start to fill up. If the team is not so competitive then the fan support will be lacking. This may be what caused the failure the last time. I really do not remember what their record was the last year they played. With high school football so popular in this area Lamar will have to be pretty good to get the fan support.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder