Rebels Set To Host Lamar In Friday Hoops Action

Guest abovetherim

Guest abovetherim

Courtesy: University of Mississippi

Release: 11/15/2007   

Courtesy: Associated Press

Ole Miss has won 18 of its last 19 contests at Tad Smith Coliseum. 

GAME 3: Ole Miss vs. Lamar

November 16, 2007 • 7 p.m. CT

Oxford, Miss. • C.M. Tad Smith Coliseum (8,700)

MEDIA

Live Radio: Ole Miss Radio Network (David Kellum, play-by-play; Pete Cordelli, color analyst). Listen Online

Live Stats: OleMissSports.com

OLE MISS FACES LAMAR CARDINALS

Ole Miss plays the third of six straight home non-conference games to start the season when the Rebels (2-0) host the Lamar Cardinals (1-0) on Friday night.

Ole Miss held on for an 81-78 victory over South Alabama on Tuesday behind sophomore guard Eniel Polynice’s career night. The Sarasota, Fla., native scored 28 points and had seven rebounds, three assists, three steals and a block.

The Rebels have won 18 of their last 19 games at home under head coach Andy Kennedy. Ole Miss will put a current 10-game home winning streak on the line Friday.

YEAR TWO OF KENNEDY ADMINISTRATION

After leading an underdog Ole Miss squad to the top of the SEC Western Division and an NIT second round appearance, 2007 SEC Coach of the Year Andy Kennedy is looking to do more of the same with another Rebel team picked last in the West by preseason prognosticators.

Kennedy guided Ole Miss to a 21-13 record in 2006-07, which marked the most wins by a Rebel head coach in his first season at the helm. It was also the most wins by any Rebel team since the 2000-01 NCAA Tournament “Sweet Sixteen†squad. Kennedy faces another daunting task this year as he mentors a team comprised of only two returning starters and 10 newcomers.

The Louisville, Miss., native was introduced as the 20th head men's basketball coach in the history of the University of Mississippi on March 24, 2006. He spent the 2005-06 season as the interim head coach at the University of Cincinnati, helping the Bearcats to a 21-13 record and NIT Quarterfinals appearance playing a schedule rated fifth-toughest in the nation amid difficult circumstances.

SCOUTING THE CARDINALS

Lamar opened its season on Tuesday with a 103-64 thrashing of LeTourneau University. The Cardinals, who compiled a 15-17 record last season, had six players in double figures on Tuesday, led by a pair of former Northwest Mississippi Community College players. Senior guard Currye Todd paced the Cardinals with 17, while junior forward Justin Nabors notched a double-double with 14 points and 13 rebounds. The top returning scorer from last year’s squad is Darren Hopkins, who put in 13.4 point per game a year ago, while Lamar Sanders scored 12.2 per game and brought down 9.8 boards per contest. Head coach Steve Roccaforte is in his second year at the helm after serving as an assistant for three years under former coach and current athletic director Billy Tubbs.

OLE MISS-LAMAR SERIES

The all-time series betwen the Rebels and Cardinals is tied 1-1, with each team having won on its home court. Ole Miss earned a 98-70 victory in Oxford in the first meeting on Dec. 4, 1993. Lamar won 86-81 on Dec. 9, 1995 in Beaumont (Texas).

MISSISSIPPI CARDINALS

Despite the fact that Lamar University is situated in Beaumont, Texas, one might look at the 2007-08 Cardinal roster and think it could be in north Mississippi. The Cardinals have four players who hail from the Magnolia State, including three graduates of Northwest Mississippi CC in Senatobia. Kenny Dawkins and Justin Nabors are from Holly Springs, Currye Todd hails from Byhalia and Lamar Sanders calls Hickory Flat home. Nabors, Todd and Sanders, three of the Cardinals’ top players, all played for assistant coach Don Skelton, who served eight years as head coach of the Northwest Rangers.

POLYNICE FILLING IT UP

Sophomore guard Eniel Polynice (Sarasota, Fla.) shattered several career highs with his stellar performance in Tuesday’s win over South Alabama. The starting wing notched career bests with 28 points, seven 3-pointers and seven rebounds, while tying a career high with three steals. His previous highs were 15 points (New Orleans - 11/30/06), four three’s (New Orleans) and five rebounds (4 times). His 28 points are the most by a Rebel since Clarence Sanders poured in 29 in a 71-70 win over LSU on Feb. 14 of last season.

REBELS ON FIRE FROM BEHIND THE ARC

Through the first two contests of the regular season, Ole Miss has hit 25 of 52 field goal attempts from long range, at a 48.1 percent clip. The Rebels closed in on the school record of 14 three’s in a game in both contests, making 13 vs. Mississippi Valley State and 12 against South Alabama. Trevor Gaskins tops the team with nine treys, including a Rebel freshman record seven three’s vs. MVSU. Eniel Polynice has eight after he followed Gaskins by sinking seven three’s vs. USA.

RECORD-BREAKING DEBUT FOR GASKINS

One of several freshmen and newcomers expected to contribute for the Rebels this season, Trevor Gaskins (Alpharetta, Ga.) got off to a furious start to his Ole Miss career on Saturday.

Gaskins finished one 3-pointer shy of the school record with seven treys on 10 attempts, but did collect the freshman record previously held by Josh Hayes, who stroked six three’s against Troy State on Dec. 18, 2000 and Joe Harvell, who had six vs. Kentucky on Jan. 27, 1990. The Ole Miss record of eight was set by Keith Carter against Prairie View A&M on Dec. 29, 1998.

POURING IN THE POINTS

After scoring 97 and 81 points in the first two games of the year, Ole Miss looks to already be capitalzing on the high-scoring philosophy of its coach. Andy Kennedy wants to score even more points this year after his style of "pressure basketball" paid tremendous dividends for the Rebels on the offensive side last season. The team averaged 73.1 points per game, a 7.9 raise from the year before, and the highest clip since scoring 77.0 per game in 1998-99. Ole Miss scored 80-plus points in four consecutive SEC games for the first time since 1976. The team’s 80 points against LSU in Atlanta was its most in an SEC Tournament game since pouring in 86 against Tennessee in a first-round win at the 2001 event, 10 tourney games earlier. The Rebels' 100-80 victory over Nicholls marked only the second time since 2001 for the team to reach the century mark in points.

NON-CONFERENCE FOES

Since the 1993-94 season, the Rebels have posted an impressive 137-46 record (.749 winning percentage) versus non-conference opponents. Ole Miss has been particularly dominant against out of conference clubs at home. Ole Miss did not lose a non-conference battle at Tad Smith Coliseum last year and has only dropped five such games since 1995. The Rebels enter Friday’s affair riding a 14-game win streak vs. non-conference foes at home.

SEASON OPENER: OLE MISS 97, MVSU 63

In his Rebel debut, freshman guard Trevor Gaskins hit seven of Ole Miss' 13 3-pointers as the Rebels easily defeated Mississippi Valley State 97-63 in both team’s season opener Saturday at Tad Smith Coliseum.

Gaskins finished one shy of the school record of eight 3-pointers in a game, set by Keith Carter in 1998, while he set the new freshman standard for 3-pointers in a game. The Alpharetta, Ga., native finished with 21 points, leading five Rebels in double figures, as David Huertas scored 12 points, Kenny Williams had 11 and Dwayne Curtis and Chris Warren each scored 10.

Ole Miss took control of the game with a 10-0 run that began at the 12:06 mark of the first half and expanded a 15-8 lead. Gaskins hit a pair of 3-pointers on the run, and Ole Miss’ lead was never smaller than 12 points after that.

Ole Miss outrebounded MVSU 25-13 in the first half and 42-27 in the game. Williams had a game-high nine rebounds and Curtis had eight.

REBELS TOPPLE DELTA STATE 110-65 IN EXHIBITION

Ole Miss jumped out to a huge 36-point halftime lead and did not look back in a 110-65 exhibition win over Delta State last Friday night.

Six Rebels scored in double figures in the blowout, led by sophomore guard David Huertas’ 18 points. Freshman point guard Chris Warren poured in 17 points and nine assists. Sophomore Eniel Polynice, freshman Trevor Gaskins and freshman Zach Graham chipped in 13 points apiece, and senior Dwayne Curtis added 12.

The Rebels displayed a fast-pace attack and had major contributions from several of the newcomers that are looking to fill the void left by last year’s senior backcourt leaders Todd Abernethy, Bam Doyne and Clarence Sanders.

CURTIS TABBED PRESEASON ALL-SEC

Senior center Dwayne Curtis has established himself as one of the top post men in the Southeastern Conference and has been named to the preseason All-SEC second team by the media and league coaches. The Chicago, Ill., native averaged 12.2 points and 8.3 rebounds for last year’s SEC Western Division champions. At 6-foot-8 and 262 pounds, Curtis has been the Rebels’ top rebounder in each of his two years in Oxford. In his sophomore year he put up team highs of 13.6 points and 7.6 boards per game in garnering All-SEC honorable mention status from the Associated Press.

NEW TAD PAD VIDEO BOARDS ON DISPLAY

Among the recent improvements to C.M. Tad Smith Coliseum are colorful new video ribbon boards that were installed prior to the season opener.

The arena has been fitted with 360 total feet of the Sideline ProAd Video Plus Displays above the top row of seating. The two 180-foot strips run baseline-to-baseline parallel to each sideline.

The $2 million project, which also included ribbon video boards at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, was paid for by TeleSouth Communications and installed by Daktronics, Inc.

Other recent changes to Tad Smith include extending the student section bleachers to the top of the North end zone and a newly painted ceiling. Other alterations already in the works include renovations to the media work area, officials locker rooms and cheerleaders warmup area. Those projects are expected to be completed by the end of December.

REBEL ROSTER OVERHAUL

After just one year at the helm, Andy Kennedy has already begun the process of molding the Ole Miss roster with his own players, as there are 10 newcomers on this year’s Rebel squad. Expected to provide valuable minutes and compete for starting positions are Florida transfer David Huertas, junior-college transfer Terrence Watson and true freshmen Trevor Gaskins, Zach Graham, Chris Warren and Malcolm White.

Lost from last year’s SEC West title team are All-SEC guards Todd Abernethy and Clarence Sanders, as well as senior guard Bam Doyne, all of whom put up double-figure averages in points and 30+ minutes per contest.

FRESHMEN: ARE YOU READY?

With just two starters and seven total lettermen returning from last year’s squad, Ole Miss will be counting on many of its 10 newcomers, including six freshmen, for starts, minutes and production.

In the season opener vs. MVSU, true freshman Chris Warren started at the point and put in 10 points and 5 assists. Fellow true freshman Trevor Gaskins had a brilliant Rebel debut as he set the Ole Miss freshman record with seven 3-pointers, one shy of Keith Carter’s school record. He led the Rebels with 21 points. Sophomore transfer David Huertas had 12 points against the Delta Devils, while freshman Zach Graham added 6 points.

OLEMISSSPORTS.COM TO STREAM LIVE GAMES

Rebel fans can catch the Ole Miss basketball teams in action on OleMissSports.com this season, as the Rebels’ official website will air live webcasts of four men’s games and six women’s games.

In addition, OleMissSports.com premium subscribers can view replays of all men’s and women’s home games on-demand. Replays will be available at 8 a.m. CST the following day per Southeastern Conference regulations.

Remaining on the live schedule of men’s games is the Alabama A&M contest on Jan. 2 and Presbyterian College on Jan. 11.

Guest abovetherim

I predict more than 10 people painted in red and white at LU's next home game!

I hope you are correct about the students painted in red and white Monday night. It was awesome last week. We just need 100 or so more of them.

Guest coachacola

We can win this game if (1) our inside guys can bang with their inside guys without getting into foul trouble, (2) we don't turn the ball over 25 times again, (3) we shoot at least 33% from the 3-point line, and (4) we make our free throws.

Nabors, Nwevo, Todd, Hall and Worrell need to contribute quality minutes so our main guys don't run out of steam in the second half.

Lamar wins 77-73.

I hope you are correct about the students painted in red and white Monday night. It was awesome last week. We just need 100 or so more of them.

I hear those guys are trying to get more people to do that. Give the montagne that "Duke" atmosphere.

Guest abovetherim

No bid deal LJ. I'm far from the guru of everything Lamar but at least I'm a REAL Lamar Cardinals fan and not just someone who has a site with a Lamar board.

Don't let something so small upset you. I promise I'm not.

I see you got a big fan abtr. Your post are showing up on other boards. You must really be the guru of everything Lamar!

Do you say this because i went to the Ole Miss site, and read this article, posted it on the other board, and then came here and read this article. I didn't know we couldn't post articles that were all over the web on other boards!!

Sorry won't make that mistake again

Guest abovetherim

Don't get upset mffl. LJ is my nephew and he knows I posted the information on this site. I'll introduce you two at the game Monday. It's not a thing to get upset about.

But, honestly did you see the information here before you went to the Ole Miss site?

It is kind of funny everything I post ends up over at the other site you still moderate.

This is a basketball thread isn't it? Don't worry about LamarJunior mffl, I'll beat him up for you. Come is us at the apartment at the Village. PM me and I'll give you our number and address. Now enough with the love connection and back to sports.

I honestly haven't made a game this season. I know it's terrible for a student to admit and I'm not painting myself red and white for the next game if LU wins tonight. However, I'll be at the game Monday for sure. These guy's will be legit if they pull this upset.

Haha thanx NewCardinal, no i honestly saw it on olemisssports.com. I've been to it the last few days waiting for an article, i also tried to find some forums about the game but didn't find jack.

No i don't post info i see on here on the other board, only stuff from Lamarcardinals.cstv.com or rivals.

Yeah i guess stuff kind of jumps around from board to board... can't do much about that right now...  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami