PNG News

Mr. Buddy Garrity

7 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Is there anything there other than slot machines? I think the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Texas law which bans poker, roulette, blackjack, etc. 

They’re trying awfully hard to get more there. And they’re hiring an awful lot of lobbyists to do it.

Probably not a good idea to cause a ruckus in the Speaker’s home county when that’s your goal. Or in the district of the only Texas House member who’s filed a gambling bill every legislative session for at least the last decade.

On 8/24/2022 at 10:06 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Heck, they signed an executive order and totally jacked up school lunches during the Obama administration.  How did they force schools to feed kids “healthy” foods against everybody’s wishes? It took a couple of weeks to implement, too. 

And it's been ten years and school lunches are still awful, and the kids still hate them.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 6:52 PM, CardinalBacker said:

Schools have no constitutional rights. Generally speaking, of course. 

Louisiana wanted to keep their drinking age down at 18… the feds wanted 21. It got changed to 21 when the feds threatened to withhold all highway funding. I can absolutely see them doing something similar with “offensive” mascots and school funds. 

The problem is this.. when someone is “offended” and we cave in to pacify them, they just come back around for more of your freedoms. I’m a proud Southerner who lost ancestors in the Civil War. I should have raised hell when people started vilifying the flag 20 or so years ago. Now I no longer have the ability to express any pride in my heritage. It’s scornful. I was watching an old episode of Hogan’s heroes the other night… comedy or not, there were schwastikas on some of the German lapels. How long until some kid gets upset and hogans heroes is unwatchable, just like Dukes of Hazzard? The whole situation is just dumb. I watched some clown on tv the other night celebrating as they tore down a confederate monument. “Traitors!” they all yell. I guess they never realized that THEY would have been the traitors in the 1860s if they wouldn’t have stood alongside their southern neighbors to fight for their land, huh? 

We should have all raised hell when “they” made Ole Miss stop playing Dixie at home games.  What better story is there than that of a racist institution (like Ole Miss in those old days of segregation) being dragged kicking and screaming into a diversified existence today? That story is just as much of a triumph as any other progress made in areas of racial equality. Celebrate the first black man to take the field, but also appreciate the progress made by the other side, too… but no, they’d rather have “social justice” than equality and harmony. And it comes from all sides these days  

You’d probably be surprised to learn, as would most of our posters, that at one time the Fight Song for Lamar was “Dixie”.  I think it was changed in the mid 50’s and I’ve no idea why it was changed.  Back then I doubt it was because it was offensive, but maybe so.  Maybe the song had little to do with a red bird?