PA man breaks into garage, fills mower up with gas, cuts front AND back yard of victim, then steals mower :D

bullets13

I arrested a guy for burglary doing the same thing. I don’t remember how many years he was sentenced to but was looking at a 20 year maximum. 

I was training a rookie officer and we got a call of a garage being broken into at about 3:30pm in the summer. The rookie was driving and we saw a guy mowing grass in the same area. For some reason it looked strange to me but he was just mowing grass.

Then I started giving rapid fore directions to my partner which she didn’t understand.  The one sided conversation went something like…. “Stop the car!! Get out and grab the guy mowing grass!… Hurry, hurry!!”.

Standard rookie response…. “Huh…. What… ?”.

Standard training officer response…. “Don’t ask questions, get him!”.

It took a few seconds to figure out why I was confused but knew the guy was committing a felony.

He was on his first cut after starting the mower. But…. he started at the sidewalk and was mowing straight into the middle of the yard. Basically he divided the yard in half with a push mower. I have mowed a yard a few million times and never made my first cut straight into tall grass. I always started by going around the outside and working my way in.

This guy saw us coming and as an alibi, pull started the mower and started cutting. The problem is that he was going down the sidewalk and had no time to start where a person would typically start. The San Augustine grass was about 5” high (family was on vacation) and he dove straight into it.

We handcuffed him immediately (obviously my decision) and I don’t remember if I or the rookie checked the garage but yep, the lock was pried off.

The difference between a veteran officer and a rookie…..

She went on to be a training officer herself and has been in detectives for a out 20 years with about 34 years on the job so far.   No doubt learning what I was teaching. :) :)