Coaches on the Move

On 5/23/2022 at 11:22 AM, oldschool2 said:

I don't think he's underrated.  I believe that anyone that knows anything about basketball places him very high on their list of best coaches around here for sure.  Arguably any area. 

I would certainly have him close to the top of my list. I watched his team several years back playing Evadale when Coach Williams had a really good club. Big Sandy had graduated heavy and was clearly overmatched. The late game situational substitutions would have been impressive in their own right but the way the kids were prepared to handle it really caught my attention. Stuff like that with Freshmen and Sophomore players doesn’t just happen. Any time the conversation comes up we see Coach Green, Coach Sutherland, Coach Sigler, Coach English. Id definitely have Coach Foster a seat at that table. 

18 minutes ago, Box1 said:

Had to put an account together for these recent posts concerning BS state runs, old age is getting the best of a few of us old heads. In 14-15, the first year they made it Angel had 36 in the semi and 30 in the final (a loss to Canadian). The following year led the team with 13 in the loss to Muenster in the semis. 

Angel, alongside Marcus Thompson back in '02-'05, were Foster's best players he's ever coached. No knock on Benson however, because he's probably no. 3 on that list. Just needed to get some fact checks together, as I remembered those experiences far different than some.

I remember Thompson. He was a fantastic player. Also there was another post player that Foster had around the '08-'10 seasons that took them to state tourney that was pretty special.

The semifinal loss to Muenster is what sticks out in many folks minds. The whole team shot poorly that game.

2 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I remember Thompson. He was a fantastic player. Also there was another post player that Foster had around the '08-'10 seasons that took them to state tourney that was pretty special.

The semifinal loss to Muenster is what sticks out in many folks minds. The whole team shot poorly that game.

Mckinney was his name, special player as well. Most think they would've beat Thorndale that year if he was at 100%, hurt his knee earlier in the playoffs and wasn't close to the same. 

1 minute ago, Box1 said:

Mckinney was his name, special player as well. Most think they would've beat Thorndale that year if he was at 100%, hurt his knee earlier in the playoffs and wasn't close to the same. 

Right, McKinney. I agree, had he not hurt his knee in playoffs, I really liked their chances to beat Thorndale. I broadcast those regional games for Big Sandy that season. He played with tremendous heart.

1 hour ago, Box1 said:

Had to put an account together for these recent posts concerning BS state runs, old age is getting the best of a few of us old heads. In 14-15, the first year they made it Angel had 36 in the semi and 30 in the final (a loss to Canadian). The following year led the team with 13 in the loss to Muenster in the semis. 

Angel, alongside Marcus Thompson back in '02-'05, were Foster's best players he's ever coached. No knock on Benson however, because he's probably no. 3 on that list. Just needed to get some fact checks together, as I remembered those experiences far different than some.

The following year is the one I was talking about.  He led the team with 13 but put up a lot of shots for that 13 as I recall.  Just a bad shooting night which happens to everyone. Having said that, guilty as charged as far as being an old head.  

I did not see them play as much as many of you, but I saw several games in that span.  Agree to disagree on who was the best player he coached.  Benson was a more complete player in my book.  But will agree Thompson was the most talented.  

And for the record, I was a huge fan of Bullock’s game.  In fact, one of those summers, we had a team led by Kam McGusty and JJ Caldwell.  Our shooter was a kid named Justin McCormack who became the all time leading scorer at Houston Christian (subsequently passed by Noah Kon).  Anyway, McCormack was an incredible shooter, but I told the guy who coached the team there was kid from Dallardsville named Angel who was better.  

7 hours ago, Box1 said:

Seems like I remember him playing on a bad knee in the regional tournament. I think Big Sandy wins the championship that season if he’s anywhere close to healthy.

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

And for the record, I was a huge fan of Bullock’s game.  In fact, one of those summers, we had a team led by Kam McGusty and JJ Caldwell.  Our shooter was a kid named Justin McCormack who became the all time leading scorer at Houston Christian (subsequently passed by Noah Kon).  Anyway, McCormack was an incredible shooter, but I told the guy who coached the team there was kid from Dallardsville named Angel who was better.  

I watched Angel in a game over at the HJ Marathon his senior year where he put on one best 3 point shooting performances I’ve ever seen. I think they were playing Nederland but I can’t remember for sure. He was just unconscious from deep. It was a lot of fun to watch 

42 minutes ago, whsalum said:

I watched Angel in a game over at the HJ Marathon his senior year where he put on one best 3 point shooting performances I’ve ever seen. I think they were playing Nederland but I can’t remember for sure. He was just unconscious from deep. It was a lot of fun to watch 

Saw that game as well.  He couldn’t miss! 

• 2 weeks later...

Tarkington position is still open. There was some rumors going around from usually in the know people a couple weeks ago but those got squashed last week with inside info from another local school. Don't have a clue what's going on around here. If anyone has any insight, would love to hear it.