Jury Convicts Man of Valentine's Day Killing in Beaumont

bullets13

Judge John Stevens gave him 30 years, and he'll be eligible for parole after 15.  This sentence seems very light to me, considering he shot his wife in the back of the head, erased surveillance footage of the event, and then tried to claim they struggled over a gun she was holding and it went off.  

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

Judge John Stevens gave him 30 years, and he'll be eligible for parole after 15.  This sentence seems very light to me, considering he shot his wife in the back of the head, erased surveillance footage of the event, and then tried to claim they struggled over a gun she was holding and it went off.  

Maybe his wife was a bitch too. Lol. 

8 hours ago, bullets13 said:

The judge DID NOT give him 30 years.

There was no punishment  phase of the trial and it was about to be argued and then go in front of the jury. During the lunch recess, a plea deal was reached between the DA and the  convicted murderer.

This is my opinion on that plea deal……

Yes it was a light sentence. I would have likely not accepted the deal as the DA without at least 50 so he would have 25 to do minimum. Of course that is easy for me to say sitting in my house watching it on YouTube.

However…..

It is always a roll of the dice in front of a jury. A jury with a little sympathy could have given him 10 years and then probated that so he would actually do no time in prison. I watched it live on YouTube and I think there was nine women on the jury. Would that tend to show sympathy? 

So the DA could accept a 30 year sentence as opposed to risking a potential probation. 

I think the number of women could have actually worked against him also. That is the roll of the dice. I think I saw four or five black women on the jury. That could be the wildcard either way. The DA might have seen them as having sympathy for the black defendant however….. They and the other women might have had just the opposite effect. There is a reasonable chance that the women either have a relative or a friend who is going through or has gone through abuse just like the murdered woman was claimed to have gone through. Rather than being sympathetic toward the convicted murder, they might have been the ones that wanted to throw the book at him.

The murderer, who up until he was found guilty was proclaiming his innocence, as part of the plea deal agreed to file no appeals and the verdict would stand as final along with the sentencing.

So the murderer and/or his attorneys looked at that jury and said we might go see if the DA will make an offer. I think I only saw three men on the jury. It is obviously just my opinion but I thought it was great and think it was a black women on the jury who pushed the murderer to accept a plea deal with no appeal possible. He could have still made a plea in from of the jury  for a lighter sentence and probation. Rather than seeing them as an easy touch (they could’ve easily held out for a lower sentence), the defense might have seen them as sympathetic toward the victim.

So both sides have something to risk by going in front of the jury. Even though they got a conviction, a light sentence with probation would have been a slap in the face to the DA and the victim’s family. Then the murderer could’ve hoped for that light sentence but he also could have had the jury give him 99 years.

With both having a lot on the line, they came to that agreement. I have no way of knowing but I suspect and thought it was a great that black women may have been the deciding factor. Their presence on the jury might have been powerful but obviously we will never know. 

7 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Maybe his wife was a bitch too. Lol. 

After being a cop for almost 4 decades, I see a lot of humor (as probably do ER nurses, EMTs, doctors, etc.) in a lot of situations that other people might think is sick.

I don’t ever recall having a desire, even in jest, in making such a comment about a beautiful woman who was brutally was murdered by an abusive husband. 

At least it is anonymous……. 

15 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

After being a cop for almost 4 decades, I see a lot of humor (as probably do ER nurses, EMTs, doctors, etc.) in a lot of situations that other people might think is sick.

I don’t ever recall having a desire, even in jest, in making such a comment about a beautiful woman who was brutally was murdered by an abusive husband. 

At least it is anonymous……. 

I agree.

I actually knew the woman. She was far from being a bitch.