Comp/Atts              13/19              6/10

Pass yards                121                27

Comp pct                68.42              60

Punts                        2                  3

Punting Yards            63                80

Punting Average        31.5            26.67

Fumbles/Lost              1/0              0/0

Penalties-yards          2-10            1-8

Silsbee not taking advantage of their first half opportunities when they got down to the WOS 2 and 10 yard lines and not coming away with any points just spelled doom for the Tigers. When you play a great team like the Stangs with that great defense, you have to make good on those scoring opportunities, they don't come very often.

WOS has definetly been a second half team this year and it showed last night. Mustang defense won that game by just limiting the Silsbee's offense to just 10 offensive plays in the second half. WOS just grounded it out offensively, eating up the clock and wearing down the Tiger defense. The WOS coaching staff made their adjustments at halftime and that was the difference. Silsbee had out played WOS in the first half, out gaining the Stangs 139-102. But not getting but 6 points out of those 4 redzone opportunities in the first half really hurt the Tigers.

As long as the WOS defense keeps playing this well, the Mustangs will be making another deep run in the playoffs.

This D reminds me of the 2000 Chain Gang. When someone got inside the 15, they were going to be forced backwards. Almost all scoring plays will be breakaway plays.

Team Stats

Silsbee    West Orange-Stark

Total yards               169               278

First downs                  7                 15

Rushes/Yds              21/48            48/251

Average rush             2.29              5.23

Comp/Atts               13/19              6/10

Pass yards                121                 27

Comp pct                 68.42               60

Punts                         2                   3

Punting Yards             63                 80

Punting Average         31.5             26.67

Fumbles/Lost              1/0               0/0

Penalties-yards          2-10            1-8

Truely amazing. Almost unheard of in a high school game that only 3 penalties were called. Great job by the players, coaches, and more importantly, the OFFICIALS.

Like the coach said in the second " Bad News Bears " movie:  " Let them play! Let them play! Let them play!"

I understand that we were trying to play the keep away game, but we have got to quit being so dang predictable on first down. Silsbee would change their personnel up front on every first down and we would run right into their hands then they would take them back out. I wish we would would throw a few more 5-7 yard stop routes on first down. If we give ourselves 2nd and 3 (which most teams will just give us on the stop or out). Then it opens up all kinds of things. We can run the zone play on 2nd and 3rd or we can go play action. No one is going to try and stop that on us because we have well established that we are not afraid to go deep. We can be conservative without being totally predictable.

The defense shined again!! I can't believe that many of these kids are sophomores and juniors. They have come a long way. They played great in the second half and, as usual, good adjustments were made. The majority of the yards (and red zone appearances) that Silsbee got were on about 3 big plays in the first half. Like someone else said, if you are fortunate enough to break a big play on this team, then you better finish it, otherwise, you may never get in the endzone. The lone Silsbee score was on a well executed 43 yard draw play which he did finish. Had he not, they may not have scored at all.

Silsbee played with a lot of heart and I wish them luck going forward. It's going to be a tough road for them with 2 losses and Kville and Jasper to go, but I feel they have the talent to do it.

We are going to have to be less predictable in Jtown next week or Brooks will hand us our rears.

Silsbee not taking advantage of their first half opportunities when they got down to the WOS 2 and 10 yard lines and not coming away with any points just spelled doom for the Tigers. When you play a great team like the Stangs with that great defense, you have to make good on those scoring opportunities, they don't come very often.

WOS has definetly been a second half team this year and it showed last night. Mustang defense won that game by just limiting the Silsbee's offense to just 10 offensive plays in the second half. WOS just grounded it out offensively, eating up the clock and wearing down the Tiger defense. The WOS coaching staff made their adjustments at halftime and that was the difference. Silsbee had out played WOS in the first half, out gaining the Stangs 139-102. But not getting but 6 points out of those 4 redzone opportunities in the first half really hurt the Tigers.

As long as the WOS defense keeps playing this well, the Mustangs will be making another deep run in the playoffs.

very good post aggiesarewe,  you get more karma!!! 8)

Qtr Drive Start Time Down & Distance Yard Line Action Pass Zone/ Run Hole Result Yards Result

2 2:40 1st down & 10 from the 31 yard line Rush  by 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) for a loss of 3 -3

4 9:08 1st down & 10 from the +26 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a loss of 1 -1

1 7:52 1st down & 10 from the 30 yard line Rush  by 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) for a gain of 0 0

2 12:00 1st down & 10 from the +44 yard line Rush  by 20 (Quintavious Garrett) for a gain of 0 0

3 4:43 1st down & 10 from the +28 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 0 0

4 9:08 1st down & 10 from the +37 yard line Rush  by 20 (Quintavious Garrett) for a gain of 2 2

4 1:32 1st down & 10 from the +45 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 2 2

1 12:00 1st down & 10 from the 15 yard line Rush  by 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) for a gain of 3 3

2 4:34 1st down & 10 from the 14 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 3 3

3 4:43 1st down & 10 from the +12 yard line Rush  by 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) for a gain of 3 3

4 9:08 1st down & 10 from the +12 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 3 3

1 7:52 1st down & 10 from the +4 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 4 4

2 12:00 1st down & 10 from the 39 yard line Pass  from 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) intended for 18 (Ronnie Dennis) complete for a gain of 4 4

3 12:00 1st down & 10 from the +11 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 4 4

3 4:43 1st down & 10 from the +38 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 4 4

4 9:08 1st down & 10 from the 50 yard line Pass  from 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) intended for 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) complete for a gain of 5 5

1 7:52 1st down & 10 from the +15 yard line Rush  by 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) for a gain of 6 6

3 12:00 1st down & 10 from the 32 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 7 7

2 12:00 1st down & 10 from the 26 yard line Rush  by 20 (Quintavious Garrett) for a gain of 8 8

3 12:00 1st down & 10 from the +41 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 8 8

3 12:00 1st down & 10 from the +21 yard line Rush  by 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) for a gain of 8 8

1 7:52 1st down & 10 from the 44 yard line Pass  from 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) intended for 28 (Roderick Simmons) complete for a gain of 9 9

WOS had 22 plays on first down. Only 5 of these plays were zero or negative yards. Two plays were 2 yrd gains. That leaves 15 plays that were 3 or more yards gained on first down. WOS only attempted 9 passes all night and 3 of these were on first down. Gasilla I think these are very good numbers for 1st down. Ask any coach and he will tell you he will take these stats anytime on 1st down. Know the truth not just what you think you see.

Guest tigersvoice

Qtr Drive Start Time Down & Distance Yard Line Action Pass Zone/ Run Hole Result Yards Result

2 2:40 1st down & 10 from the 31 yard line Rush  by 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) for a loss of 3 -3

4 9:08 1st down & 10 from the +26 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a loss of 1 -1

1 7:52 1st down & 10 from the 30 yard line Rush  by 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) for a gain of 0 0

2 12:00 1st down & 10 from the +44 yard line Rush  by 20 (Quintavious Garrett) for a gain of 0 0

3 4:43 1st down & 10 from the +28 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 0 0

4 9:08 1st down & 10 from the +37 yard line Rush  by 20 (Quintavious Garrett) for a gain of 2 2

4 1:32 1st down & 10 from the +45 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 2 2

1 12:00 1st down & 10 from the 15 yard line Rush  by 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) for a gain of 3 3

2 4:34 1st down & 10 from the 14 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 3 3

3 4:43 1st down & 10 from the +12 yard line Rush  by 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) for a gain of 3 3

4 9:08 1st down & 10 from the +12 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 3 3

1 7:52 1st down & 10 from the +4 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 4 4

2 12:00 1st down & 10 from the 39 yard line Pass  from 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) intended for 18 (Ronnie Dennis) complete for a gain of 4 4

3 12:00 1st down & 10 from the +11 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 4 4

3 4:43 1st down & 10 from the +38 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 4 4

4 9:08 1st down & 10 from the 50 yard line Pass  from 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) intended for 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) complete for a gain of 5 5

1 7:52 1st down & 10 from the +15 yard line Rush  by 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) for a gain of 6 6

3 12:00 1st down & 10 from the 32 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 7 7

2 12:00 1st down & 10 from the 26 yard line Rush  by 20 (Quintavious Garrett) for a gain of 8 8

3 12:00 1st down & 10 from the +41 yard line Rush  by 24 (DePauldrick Garrett) for a gain of 8 8

3 12:00 1st down & 10 from the +21 yard line Rush  by 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) for a gain of 8 8

1 7:52 1st down & 10 from the 44 yard line Pass  from 13 (Ortavious Hypolite) intended for 28 (Roderick Simmons) complete for a gain of 9 9

WOS had 22 plays on first down. Only 5 of these plays were zero or negative yards. Two plays were 2 yrd gains. That leaves 15 plays that were 3 or more yards gained on first down. WOS only attempted 9 passes all night and 3 of these were on first down. Gasilla I think these are very good numbers for 1st down. Ask any coach and he will tell you he will take these stats anytime on 1st down. Know the truth not just what you think you see.

Now, this is GREAT STUFF!  This gentleman should be on someone's coaching staff, if he is not already.

Thanks... With the stats program I use for the games I can get all kinds of stats. And yes I am the WOS Stat Man. I do not put much of it on here but I have all kinds of stat info. I am really getting tired of the bashing of the offensive coaches at WOS. All they do is win. What more can you ask for.

Guest Wos Grad 2000

Thanks... With the stats program I use for the games I can get all kinds of stats. And yes I am the WOS Stat Man. I do not put much of it on here but I have all kinds of stat info. I am really getting tired of the bashing of the offensive coaches at WOS. All they do is win. What more can you ask for.

well good. tell them to add just 1 more play to the playbook and quit throwing a sideline pass that dont work.

Truely amazing. Almost unheard of in a high school game that only 3 penalties were called. Great job by the players, coaches, and more importantly, the OFFICIALS.

Like the coach said in the second " Bad News Bears " movie:  " Let them play! Let them play! Let them play!"

I don' know wat game you were watching, but the officiating sucked, in my opinion.  I saw a couple of facemasks on Pootie that were not called; Silsbee held often and only one call (that we declined); they were TERRIBLE at marking the ball and...oh YEAH....HOW ABOUT THE FUMBLE THAT THEY GAVE BACK TO SILSBEE THAT WE OBVIOUSLY RECOVERED?  APPARENTLY THEY CALLED HIM DOWN 5 YARDS BACK WHEN EVEN RAY CHARLES SAW HE FUMBLED THE BALL BEFORE HE WAS TACKLED.  Whereas, we DID stop them from scoring that drive, that is not the point.  The refs gave Silsbee every opportunity to win the game....

First of all Mr Ump, I have not bashed anyone!! I stated what I felt from watching the game just like anyone else who goes to a game does. What I state is my opinion and mine only. I have tried to keep the bashing from going on so don't lump me in with the others just because I post something about the offense. I'm going to say what I think no matter what you or anyone else thinks about it. That's what this board is about... to discuss football and what we think. I have not called anyone out as I've been told by some of your counterparts that there is way more to the play calling than the fans know. I'm not discussing the job or who is doing what or who is doing thier job well. I'm discussing what I see on the field. That's my right. I did not call anyone out, I did not say anyone needs to be fired, I did not call for anyone to come back, I said I would LIKE for us to be a little less predictable on first down!

Now, all of that being said, when you look at these stats, it does appear that we were a little more successful than I thought. Like you, I deal with a lot of numbers in my job, stats don't always show everything, but they are a good indicator. Looking at your stats there, I see that 12 of the 22 1st down plays were in the second half. Only one of those plays was a pass (which gained 5 yards). Nearly all of the runs were the zone read plays (the same play) and only 3 of those 11 gained as much as the one pass that we threw. In fact, 6 (over half) gained 3 yards or less. My point was that I think we could be more successful with the zone read if we threw a little more on first down or were a little less predictable. You don't have to agree, you can look at these numbers and be satisfied, but there is way more to it than just the numbers, as you can see. I love Mustang Football, the program did a lot for me growing up. I love everyone of the coaches and I think they all give a lot for this community and for our kids and I appreciate everyone of them. However, since when are we no longer able to voice what we think about our teams? Or, can we only talk about the good things?

Furthermore, of the 3 passes, all were complete and averaged 6 yards per play. The 19 rushes averaged only 3. All I was saying was that I wish we could up that pass number to about 8 passes and 14 runs. If we did that, I BELIEVE, it would make the 14 runs more effective which would, in turn, allow you to do more things on second down.

Matchups and game situations come into play alot more than us casual watchers know. WOS actually ran alot more base plays than reads the other night which was a change. If you do not have to show much of your offense to win, then don't. The surprise factor down the line can be huge. At all the schools I have done stats for over the years I have seen it so many times that a team runs certain plays out of a formation to set up an opponent down the line to confuse them. It is one big cat and mouse game. I will say I have never seen so many passionate fans that a team like WOS has and all of you that are should be commended for it !!!!!

Matchups and game situations come into play alot more than us casual watchers know. WOS actually ran alot more base plays than reads the other night which was a change. If you do not have to show much of your offense to win, then don't. The surprise factor down the line can be huge. At all the schools I have done stats for over the years I have seen it so many times that a team runs certain plays out of a formation to set up an opponent down the line to confuse them. It is one big cat and mouse game. I will say I have never seen so many passionate fans that a team like WOS has and all of you that are should be commended for it !!!!!

Yes, we are passionate. I also agree with you, to a point, that we tend to remember to much of the bad and not enough of the good. I guess we are a little spoiled... ;D

You get an Amen and Karma. ;)

Guest Chaingang Defense

mustang85 post

This is more like it.  We finally played a team with a few descent athletes and the wonderful mustang playcalling showed back.  Let me tell you something people, the reason I end every post with THANK GOD FOR CORNEL THOMPSON, is because that is the #1 reason that we win.  Look what happened the four years Thompson was gone. Look what happens every time we play a team that has athletes, the game is alot closer than it should be.  That basically gives our defense no chance for error.  The unfortunate thing about that is eventually that will cost us our season.  The only question is who not if.  Who will be this years giddings(06), or silsbee(98), or ozen(03),or unbelievably huffman(EMBARASSING).  I will always stay to the end of every game, because I am a dedicated wos fan, and that is my alma mater, but it is very disappointing to watch this pathetic display year after year.  It's almost time for another gpruitt artilcle in the orange leader.  Good Luck Mustang Players!  THANK GOD FOR CORNEL THOMPSON!

I guess the other thread was taken off, so I'll just post my comments here.

Coaching high school football is tough....Here's the bottom line, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about the OC, it only matters what Coach Hooks thinks...and I believe he has things in control.  My dad coached for 35 years and I did as well for 3 years and the worst part was always dealing with railbirds...no disrespect intended, but coaching high school football is much tougher than coaching peewee football on saturday mornings...

Guest BIG HOUSE

WO-S it must be great to be in 3A ;D ;D

Wasn't this the team that PNG DISMANTLED............22-4A

Its also a team that about 4 of the 22-4A teams would run right through.......WO-S prolly just felt bad about RUNNIN UP the SCORE in the HJ game ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83