What's different in Jasper?

Bulldog92

I was talking to a guy that I went to school with back in the late 80's and early 90's and we're trying to figure out what has changed over the years. Back in those days, we would have blown out smaller schools like Kirbyville (and routinely beat 5a schools) and now it's tough to beat them. What has changed so much?

I think coaching.  When I played way back in the late 70's  we had players.  the Hadnots big bruising guys.  we had the state record 440 sprint relay team playing.  but we couldnt find our way out of a paper sack it seemed at times.  I would have to contribute that to coaching.  not fitting the offence to what  you have available.  If you got bruisers why pass...if you have sure handed recievers with 4.4 speed why run all the time.  JMO

I think coaching.  When I played way back in the late 70's  we had players.  the Hadnots big bruising guys.  we had the state record 440 sprint relay team playing.  but we couldnt find our way out of a paper sack it seemed at times.  I would have to contribute that to coaching.  not fitting the offence to what  you have available.  If you got bruisers why pass...if you have sure handed recievers with 4.4 speed why run all the time.  JMO

I thought about that, too. It doesn't seem like the offense we run fits the athletes. Bring back the 'bone...or veer...or whatever. That always worked and I don't know why we ever had to get away from it. Walkoviak might have had more of a clue than a lot of people gave him credit for. That offense worked no matter who ran it. With the spread, if you don't have a "special" player at QB, you're pretty much handicapped...

You're right about that. Jasper was always very good at every level back in those days and much like Newton, everything that they did was consistent across the board with every coach and every player. They had virtually the same coaches at both the junior high and high school levels for a long time, too.

Guest FPHS 78

I was wondering if there are students moving back and forth between Newton, Burkeville, and Jasper. Not trying to offend but just wondering.

i was thinking along the same lines..not so much transfers..but hasnt enrollment tanked in recent years?

I will assume you are not talking about Brooks.  Jasper may be down this year and maybe next year but Brooks will have Jasper in top form within three years.  Lauve lost several quality coaches since he took over.   

I will assume you are not talking about Brooks.  Jasper may be down this year and maybe next year but Brooks will have Jasper in top form within three years.  Lauve lost several quality coaches since he took over.   

Yes,  Thomas Brooks has a Championship ring from his HS days at BMT Hebert. He has a couple of rings from his days at WOS and another ring or two from his years in Waxahachie.

He knows what it takes to win and will get the Dogs back on track.

theres more i just cant member off the top of my head....they had a good basketball team too!!

i think now jasper is more of a baseball town...no not just because they won state last year, its cuz theyve always been real good and finally lst year when they wo peoplereally got to see that.,

Coaching.  Period.  Don't think the talent level has fallen much, if any.  The enrollment has declined only slightly from the Walkoviak days when few 5a teams could handle Jasper.  Coaching....  Coaching....  Coaching....  Coaching.... 

The more time that passes the more obvious it becomes how fortunate Jasper was to have had Walkoviak for those 20 years.  Folks who remember the 20 years BEFORE Walkoviak already knew that however.

Now, he is in Newton helping Barbay continue to build power houses.  Nuff said.

Many people point to the lack of overall speed and size on today's team. Also, from those who were a part of Jasper's great tradition feel as though the kids don't have the same drive and dedication, and as we know, kids today have become more selfish so it hard to develop team chemistry.

Coaches I have talked to about Jasper say they don't have the speed or athletes of just a few years ago.  ....

It seems to me that folks said similar things before Walkoviak arrived in 1977.  The key mantra then was that Jasper did not have enough athletes to play two platoon ball.  Walkoviak changed that in his very first year at Jasper, and never looked back for 20 years.

Don't good coaches design their program to win with what they have?  Look at Liberty Hill.  They have running backs running 4.7 forties who just run it down your throat.  And they win, win, win.  Year after year.

I am encouraged that Brooks seems to be working to get the team numbers up.  Hopefully by next year we will see some positive results.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder