Weak or Strong - 22-4A

Guest TravelingBandsman

Guest TravelingBandsman

I know we have a lot of pride for our 22-4A SETX district, but on a state level would we be considered a strong or weak district. I only say this because I look at other districts like 23 and 24-4A and see these 4A behemoths in every one of them.

Moderate...  There is enough talent on some teams and enough coaching on others for this district's best to compete in the third round of the PO...  Don't think there is much else.  Ned (best coaching staff) & PNG have the tradition and maybe it will shine in the near future but it wont be this year.  Dayton has great atheletes and decent coaching, so they can make a push.  Central and OZen have superb athletic talent but significant gaps in their coaching staff.  LCM is a well put together team but only a second teer program.  Lumberton has a great stradegy and game plan minus the atheletes.  Vidor has the heart and grit minus the atheletes.  IU thing the area can be great, but for now it is moderate at best.  

I think the indivisual talent is all world and there will be good college football PLAYERS in tyhis district.

One more note and this is just one mans opinion....  If there was less ethnic seperation in this area, I believe that there would be all world teams here.  Great football teams historically are built with players from both white and black ethnic backgrounds.  I think the game needs the diversity and it would do nothing but increase the stregnth of this district.  Yes Ned and PNG have been great exceptions in the past but let's talk TODAYS game....

This is a strong district like it always is.  I don't know why somebody would say all the teams will lose in the first round.... that almost never happens... I don't think that this year will be any different.

Agree - The district is not the strongest in the state, but I think it is considered a "Strong District". This particular year it is definitely NOT the strongest it has been, but 22-4A will hang around a little while in the playoffs. Out of the three playoff teams, I would be real surprised if no teams advanced at least a round or two. (But I have been surprised before.) Hmmm --- I guess 20% of the districts are stronger - 80% weaker - who really knows?

Moderate...  There is enough talent on some teams and enough coaching on others for this district's best to compete in the third round of the PO...  Don't think there is much else.  Ned (best coaching staff) & PNG have the tradition and maybe it will shine in the near future but it wont be this year.  Dayton has great atheletes and decent coaching, so they can make a push. Central and OZen have superb athletic talent but significant gaps in their coaching staff.  LCM is a well put together team but only a second teer program.  Lumberton has a great stradegy and game plan minus the atheletes.  Vidor has the heart and grit minus the atheletes.  IU thing the area can be great, but for now it is moderate at best.  

I think the indivisual talent is all world and there will be good college football PLAYERS in tyhis district.

Did you see the games between Mid-County and Central the last couple of years?  Ozen now has some of that coaching staff that was responsible for those wins.  Nederland's staff is really good, but I think dont think there is a big of a gap as you think.

Did you see the games between Mid-County and Central the last couple of years?  Ozen now has some of that coaching staff that was responsible for those wins.  Nederland's staff is really good, but I think dont think there is a big of a gap as you think.

Amen Yeoj.  Half of the staff that turned Central around 3 seasons ago are @Ozen.  Central still has Stowers.  Both believe in playing defense first and running down hill.  What hurts Ozen is consistancy.  Brooks was good the first year but got cute the 2nd year, bounced back the 3rd year but couldn't take the pressure.  Same with Clayton.  If Rison sticks around, Ozen's wins should match the number of scholarships they get year in, year out....

Now having said all that, without looking at the rushing numbers for all the teams, I say the district is down because there are no backs from the usual suspects on pace for 1000 yards for the regular season. 

Amen Yeoj.  Half of the staff that turned Central around 3 seasons ago are @Ozen.  Central still has Stowers.  Both believe in playing defense first and running down hill.  What hurts Ozen is consistancy.  Brooks was good the first year but got cute the 2nd year, bounced back the 3rd year but couldn't take the pressure.  Same with Clayton.  If Rison sticks around, Ozen's wins should match the number of scholarships they get year in, year out....

Now having said all that, without looking at the rushing numbers for all the teams, I say the district is down because there are no backs from the usual suspects on pace for 1000 yards for the regular season. 

Yes I have been at all the games and Central has dominated....  But I wasn't talking about MC vs. Central... I was talking about the play-offs.  Central makes the MC teams look like they are running in mud (no offence meant Mid County)... An equally athletic team with good coaches would be able to beat my JAGS on the coaching side of the game... In MC case they could out coach an equally talented team...  Stowers is a great coach, and probally will out defensively coach many coaches... The offense is a different story.  That is what I mean when I say significant holes...  Central for instance needs an Offensive coordinator... Just talking about my own school which I am very knowledgable about!  i will Give Ozen time but right now their Offense isn't fluid either.  They may fall into the same hole as Central has been in for years... Great Defensive Coordinators turned head coaches make very competitive teams...  But can they win without a equally good or adequate offensive coordinator.  Central hasn't been able to overcome that hurdle!!  All their head coaches were great defensive coordinators... With no offensive game!  Very competitive but not great!

Fairly strong. Nederland has averaged a deeper run than most for the last 10 years or so.No , not every year. I didn't think they were that good last year, but I think they can go a couple rounds at least this year.If they could get Zampere back I would really have liked their chances.I'm not convinced or sold on any of the other 224A teams yet.

Fairly strong. Nederland has averaged a deeper run than most for the last 10 years or so.No , not every year. I didn't think they were that good last year, but I think they can go a couple rounds at least this year.If they could get Zampere back I would really have liked their chances.I'm not convinced or sold on any of the other 224A teams yet.

Still have to be able to run the ball.  They keep messin' around, they won't make it out if district.....

I would not be too sure about no one getting deep into the playoffs this year. There are some pretty good teams out there that may have not peaked yet. I was not convinced that Dayton had much before the season started and now although I think Lumberton may be as good as they have ever been I still think Dayton is down.

I really think PNG, Central. maybr Dayton and even my Bulldogs have a good shot at a pretty good playoff run. I think PNG could really do some damage if they get rolling. Their defense looked very solid in zero week and I think MB's bread and butter may be better than folks think. I dont think 23-4A is as good as they have been either. Its still very early,  I say hang on, it could possibly be one of the best years ever for our mediocre little district. It could also be the beginning of great things to come.

Guest TravelingBandsman

I think our 3 can make it to 2nd round. A sweep would be a lot harder but I think it can happen. As far as that, we'd be up against people like Friendswood, La Marque, Texas City, Terry, and Lamar Consolidated.

....I think 2nd round is as far as we go.

No real state threat has come from this district since 99' with PNG and WOS in 2000 (with one of the smallest schools in the state in 4a at the time) and Ned's semi appearance in 01.  But since the not so much.  Its hard to call a district tough when every team is worried about making the playoffs.  The top tier districts with teams like lamarque dont go into a season looking to make the playoffs or win district.  If they dont win state they arent satisfied.  This district hasnt produced very many finalist, semi-finalist or even qf with the current teams.  Now with that said i wish it was tough and i think we should support any of these teams that makes the playoffs this year and shut up some of these other area districts. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder