WO-S fails to take advantage of talent..OL Article

KFDM COOP

WO-S fails to take advantage of talent

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

Sorry Mustang fans but facts are facts and strong opinions need to be let out sometimes.

West Orange-Stark had every chance to win Saturday against Bay City because its defense was simply amazing.

The Chain Gang held Bay City to -16 rushing after sacking quarterback Shaun Rutherford at will and still the Blackcats won 15-12.

The Mustangs recovered two fumbles and were able to also come away with an interception.

It was all there for WO-S to take down its third 4A opponent in the non-district schedule.

The only thing missing was an obvious lack of taking advantage of what the Mustangs have on offense.

WO-S ran 70 offensive plays against Bay City and only three went for over 15 yards.

Too many times the Mustangs could have put their foot against the Blackcats’ throats and too many times WO-S failed to do so.

The Mustangs have too great of athletes on offense to not come away with this win.

First and foremost DePauldrick Garrett has to touch the ball more than 14 times. That is as plain as day.

Garrett rushed for 67 yards on those 14 carries which gave him an average of 4.8 yards a carry.

Teams dream of a running back who can average over four yards a carry every time they touch the ball.

Garrett, who rushed for 1,389 yards and 17 touchdowns a year ago, is the type of back an offense can wear a defense out with.

DePauldrick’s brother Quintavious Garrett only carried the ball twice and gained 13 yards.

Put those two together along with quarterback Ortavious Hypolite and a power running game with a nice option play would be unstoppable in a lot of instances.

Saturday the Mustangs also missed chances to throw down field instead of hitting receivers on swing passes or little five-yard outs.

Hypolite proved several times late in the game he has the arm to throw down field and guys like Ronnie Dennis, Josh Gloston and Trey Franks have a ton of speed to burn past defenders.

Plus Garrett can catch out of the backfield and Seth Thomas can also be a huge weapon in open space.

Now it is also obvious the WO-S coaching staff is working with a far younger team than last year’s team.

Last year’s team also housed two Division I receivers who are playing at the University of Texas and Texas Tech University.

That is a lot to overcome in just three games.

The solution could be to line up and smash teams in the mouth. Run the ball right down their throat and then try to take a big chance down field with the speedsters.

This chews up clock and also takes pressure off a young quarterback, kills two birds with one stone.

The bottom line is the Mustangs are a great football team this year and should still win the District 21-3A championship.

They will march past anyone in the bi-district round and probably have to face the Giddings Buffaloes in the area round.

Remember last year’s game against Giddings?

There was a reverse near the goal line which went for negative yards and Garrett even back then did not get enough touches to score.

This is not the first year the Mustangs have been hurt by not taking advantage of the situation, I just hope it does not come back to bite them too hard again this year.

Last season’s bite mark is still visible to this day.

The many post about the OC at WO-S seems to say it's all his fault. Do ya'll honestly think Dan Hooks has no input on what the offensive scheme is and how it is utilized each week? The thing that would really interest me is to know exactly how many wins and losses the Orange Leader has? I don't have a dog in the fight, but Dan Hooks has nothing to prove to anybody about his grasp of the game.

I think OL has made it sound like DPG would have run for more yards if he had ran it more. I don't know. I had him officially with 12 carries for 61 yrds. He had 36 on one run, so the other times he didn't do much. DPG has not run the ball like he has in the past. WOS just played three 4A teams that could all make the playoffs. 2-1 against these teams is pretty good. With the week off I think WOS will work on a few things and will come out smokin in district play.

Blame? Blame for what? Being one of the best coaches in not only southeast Texas but all of Texas? It's easy to set back and criticize after the fact. These "experts" crawl out from under the rocks with the amazing ability to so clearly see what should have happened on any one play. Then they begin to see patterns and really think they know better than a program that has proven year in and year out to be one of the best. Gimme a break. They know nothing. I'm not from there either, but I know you don't build a program like WO-S has without being dedicated, intelligent, and knowing the game of football.

I knew I was not the only one that this would be so obvious to see.  If you cannot see that there needs to be a change made on this staff then you clearly need your eyes or your brain checked out.  THE KIDS DESERVE BETTER!!  Where you at 071904, your boy needs someone to come to his rescue with somemore excuses.  You know what your supposed to do when you don't have the D-1 athletes and you need to score points, COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i've been following Mustang football since they combined schools. This is not to say that I am an expert on the Mustangs but it does mean I do have insight into what the Mustangs have accomplished and how they accomplished it.  Point being when the Mustangs were going to State Championships they were winning with a very strong defense and the veer. They are still winning, but when you come up against a team of equal talent, you have to be able to run the football, (Ex.On Giddings 1 yd line).  Also, you have to be flexible enough to know what your strengths are(Ex. you lost 2 D1 Recievers and you have a young QB, hence your strength is your returning All-Dist. Rb).  I'm not saying ditch the spread because it does have its uses.  But if I see I can move the ball on the ground I would do it until the young QB & Recievers jell together.  

IMO I think it will be harder for DPG to be as productive because he does not have those d-1 players around him this year, and I think teams can key on him more. Dont get me wrong I think he is a great player and I think the Stangs just need a little more experience, they will be fine.

I knew I was not the only one that this would be so obvious to see.  If you cannot see that there needs to be a change made on this staff then you clearly need your eyes or your brain checked out.  THE KIDS DESERVE BETTER!!  Where you at 071904, your boy needs someone to come to his rescue with somemore excuses.  You know what your supposed to do when you don't have the D-1 athletes and you need to score points, COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have yet to see a coach score any points.  It seems to always be the players that score.  What do you do for a living?  How often are you at their practices?  You must be there all of the time to be able to evaluate talent like you can.  or are you one of those guys that can sit in the stands and say what you would have done after you see something did not work?  AAWWWWWWWWW  you might be one of the little league coaches.  that is special.  I hear they are doing really good.  Maybe Coach Hooks will come to your games and see your plan and hire you on the spot.  I actually saw the little league play, and they seem to be using the same scheme as the Varsity.  so once again, is it coaches or players???

Once again 071904 you got me.  I guess me and everybody else on this board, in the news, and in the stands are wrong, and you are correct.  You can't see any points or anything else that we are talking about.  I however have been through the wos program and have much respect for Coach T, Coach Foreman, Coach Hooks, and the others that I was coached by.  I know you didn't go through the program so I wont even ask the question.  I owe alot to the REAL wos coaches that I had. I probably would not have the job that I have today if it wasn't for the discipline that I took from the program.  Forgive me if I don't disclose my place of employment to you, I don't see how that is relavent.  I however do have relatives coming up through the mustang program in the next couple of years, and I don't want them to have to suffer with the same mistakes by the same oc over, and over, and over, and over again (Ozen 02, Giddings 06, LCM 07, Bay City 07).  These are just some of the ones that come to mind, but I am sure that you will have a valid excuse or you wont get the point.  Bottom line is I am in the majority and you in denial.  THE KIDS DESERVE BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once again 071904 you got me.  I guess me and everybody else on this board, in the news, and in the stands are wrong, and you are correct.  You can't see any points or anything else that we are talking about.  I however have been through the wos program and have much respect for Coach T, Coach Foreman, Coach Hooks, and the others that I was coached by.  I know you didn't go through the program so I wont even ask the question.  I owe alot to the REAL wos coaches that I had. I probably would not have the job that I have today if it wasn't for the discipline that I took from the program.  Forgive me if I don't disclose my place of employment to you, I don't see how that is relavent.  I however do have relatives coming up through the mustang program in the next couple of years, and I don't want them to have to suffer with the same mistakes by the same oc over, and over, and over, and over again (Ozen 02, Giddings 06, LCM 07, Bay City 07).  These are just some of the ones that come to mind, but I am sure that you will have a valid excuse or you wont get the point.  Bottom line is I am in the majority and you in denial.  THE KIDS DESERVE BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not DENYING that WOS has issues on the offensive side of the ball. I totally agree that you have to be able to run the football. If you can't, eventually it will cost you.

My issue with this OC thing is, most of you Mustang fans want to lay 100% of the blame on the OC. Isn't Dan Hooks the head coach? Doesn't every decision go through him? Why aren't you guys laying the blame at his feet?

If Dan Hooks, as great a coach as he is ( and I really believe he is ), doesn't see fit to make a change, then so be it.

How does anyone know "they are in the majority" in any issue that is simply talked about in public or written about on discussion boards like this? Was there a vote somewhere in WO-S community? Very narrow minded view of self importance. Not a big leap to all knowing expert.

Simple solution for Gabe and the rest: 4 years of college, become a coach, spend way more time with others kids than your own, make half the money as other college graduates, make 40 - 60 decisions with under 25 seconds for each, have your intelligence questioned by little league coaches and sportswriters in the orange leader.

No one is saying that the Oc is 100% to blame, but history doesn't lie. When he was at Lcm, they had serious issues competing and they definately couldn't score. As soon as he leaves, they improve and now Wo-s have these issues...coincidence? I think not. He definately makes it harder on DPg. They are stacking the box against him because teams know the Oc doesn't have the guts to go deep on first down. What do he think throwing the ball to the sideline is going to do all game long? Teams is surely going to stack the line when all they know is going to happen is a) a handoff up the middle or a sideline throw. Dpg can catch the ball...try throwing some short passes to him to atleast let the other teams fearful of him moving around...they will have to drop people back then. We have some good receivers, no Blue chips yet cause they are stiil young, but they will make plays. You can't have a young Qb only throwing the ball when it's 3rd and long...what kind of pressure do you think he is going to be under then? of course he's going to throw interceptions. As a Qb, you have to be able to get in a rhythm throwing the ball. I'm sure everybody have noticed how the fan support has really dropped off since he's been there because people are frustrated. Lcm is getting alot of our players...why do you think that is? Maybe he was use to being  happy just to make the playoffs when he was at Lcm, but over here...that's like a losing season to us. Yes, Dan hooks has to shoulder some of the blame because he's allowing it to go on.

MAYBE YOU GUYS NEED TO GO TO YOUR OWN TEAMS BOARD AND STAY OFF OURS, THE FORUM HAS LOTS OF COMPLAINING...NOT JUST WO-S FANS....BUT WE DO HAVE OUR RIGHT TO VOICE OUR OPINION. ANYBODY WHO WENT TO THAT GAME CAN SEE THAT BAY CITY WAS NOT THE BETTER TEAM...THE BETTER TEAM DOESN'T ALWAYS WIN. THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN BROUGHT UP FOR YEARS AND NOTHING IS BEING DONE. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE THE COMPLAINGING, THEN KEEP IT MOVING ON TO THE NEXT TOPIC.