*4A Ozen vs. 5A Memorial ..Memorial Wins 19-12/Comments*

KFDM COOP

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WBFan09

Good.  I'm actually rooting for Memorial, now that West Brook is wanting PAM to lose lol

who said anyone from West Brook was rooting against Memorial i was just pointing out a stat...and now we can say with proud that the two southeast texas teams were the only teams to win in 21-5A this week!!! catch my drift

Guest WBFan09

Except these aren't even district games.  So, you take these wins and a $1.39 and you can get you a jumbo jack.

your right they dont mean anything but they can reflect on how strong your district is and right now 21-5A aint looking to pretty hope everyone gets it on for district and playoffs

They went mostly with your passing QB except he handed it off a lot to that little running back. It's almost as if they are trying to establish a new offensive identity. I guess their scouts told them of OZEN'S stout defense and outstanding secondary. But you wouldn't think that it would scare PAM away from bombs away. they thought that they could run it on OZEN.

T he field conditions were great. No bad weather or anything. PAM just needs more work to get to where they were last year. I was at the Locker room with both teams and PAM players are hugh, much larger than Ozen. That is one big team.

I see the summer workouts went well. now they need to transfer that on the field.

exactly. the game did not make sense to me. too many penalties... do you know how many recievers returned from last year?

all the wr's were back

ok its early, they did not look like the kids that played against WB last year but i'm sure they will get there. Your passing QB is not close to the guy you had last year pulling the trigger.

This game was interesting from start to finish.  Chess match and adjustments.  Memorial was running the ball a lot.  Starting off with the Alexander kid at qb and Patterson the RB.  Both of these kids are alusive and made several highlight moves out there.  Ozen's D then stiffened up delivering hard hits that had the Memorial ball carriers thinking twice.  Then, the fumble fest began.  Both teams couldnt' take care of the ball.  memorial made it inthe red zone several times but couldnt' convert them all.  Some play calls were questionable.  Why are you in the spread on the 10 yard line?  Anyways, another strange thing happened, and me and Coop was discussing this.  Ozen kicked off to begin the game and after halftime, they kicked off again.   ??? ??? ??? .  Ozen then started using counter plays and missdirection plays and catching Memoral stunting with the D-linemen.  Ozen moved down the field with ease with this.  They then went away from this with simple handoffs.  Memorial gave up one big play on a reverse on the first play in the third quarter.  Ozen tried to punt in their own territory.  The long snapper hiked it over the punter's head rolling into the endzone.  Instead of kicking it inthe back of the end zone or falling on it, he tried to pick the ball up, and got walloped by a memorial defender and another player from PAM fell on it.  TD!  In the 4th qt, Ozen made a nice defensive stand that left Memorial on their own 3 yard line, coming up on 4th down.  It was a bone-jarring hit to the RB from memorial, then the Ozen tackler put his knee in the PAM player's chest and the ref threw the dirty laundry for a personal foul, which gave memorial the first down.  That gave them more time to run the clock out, but Ozen eventually got it back and drove all the way to PAM territory then fumbled again.  Memorial sat on it.  Game over.  If I forgot something or failed to mention something, I appologize.  

Memorial defense, special teams play holds off Ozen

By Cody Pastorella

The Port Arthur News

Ozen snapped the ball 30 yards into its own endzone on a costly fourth down play in Memorial’s 19-12 win on Saturday night at Cardinal Stadium in Beaumont.

Ozen punter Jared Lee tracked down the loose football but was hit from behind only to fumble it away to a hosts of Memorial defenders. The Titans recovered the ball for a touchdown and a 17-12 lead.

On the point-after-touchdown try, Titan’s quarterback Harry Brown converted the 2-point conversion pass to Solomon Jones to extend their lead to 19-12.

Memorial scored 12 of its 19 points on safeties and special teams play alone. Twice in the first half Memorial caused safeties. The first of the two came four seconds into the second quarter when Lee botched a snap from Ozen’s 1-yard line. The ball hit Lee in the hands but with the all the pressure bearing down on him, Lee just flung the ball behind him to give the Titans a 9-0 lead.

Memorial defense caused another safety later in the quarter when Ozen quarterback Marquis Moore fumbled while trying to hand the ball off to running back Chris Raggett. Moore recovered the ball in his own endzone but Titan defender’s pounced all over him to give Memorial an 11-6 lead going into halftime.

At the break, Ozen had one first down and just 73 yards of total offense. Their lone first down came on an 84-yard touchdown pass from Moore to receiver Kevin Newton who made a spectacular grab down the left sideline around the 50-yard line and then toasted the Memorial secondary from there. That score came in the second quarter with 8:00 to play in the half and cut the Titan’s lead to 9-6.

The Panthers opened up the second half with a touchdown on their very first play from scrimmage. Javon Dartez busted through the middle of the Titan defense for a 71-yard touchdown scamper to make the score 12-11 in Ozen’s favor.

Still 12-11 in the third quarter, Dartez busted off a 73-yard run but was caught from behind on the 7-yard line by Memorial defensive back Desmond Gardiner.

Gardiner’s tackle proved to save a touchdown and possibly the game for the Titans because on just two plays later, Ozen’s Chris Raggett fumbled for the second time in the game. Titans’ safety Anthony Cockrell pounced on the ball for the turnover.

Ozen fumbled five times and lost four of them. Raggett fumbled three times.

Memorial coach Ronnie Thompson said he was very pleased with the defense and special teams play. “Omar Zepada (averaged 34 yards a punt and put Ozen inside its own 10 in two pivotal points in the game) punted the ball very well for us and kept them pinned down all night,†Thompson said. “I thought the defense was spectacular tonight. With the exception of a couple plays, they really shut Ozen down and won us the ball game.â€

The Titans did score one offensive touchdown, which came on their opening drive of the game. The drive lasted more than five minutes and took 18 plays. Quarterback Harry Brown completed 5-of-7 passing for 24 yards and rushed for 18 yards, including a 10-yard run for the touchdown and a 7-0 lead.

After that drive, offense was a frustrating issue for the Titans. Memorial got the ball inside Ozen’s 10 five times in the game, scored once, threw a pick, and turned the ball over on downs three times.

“I felt our defense would hold up and I just felt we could punch it in,†Thompson said about going for it on fourth down inside the 10-yard line four times. “We made it the first time and then tried a field goal later but we didn’t get the snap down, so I just liked our chances to go for it.â€

The Titans did pick of 21 first downs on the game. They rushed for 177 yards on 45 carries.

Memorial recovers fumble for touchdown to secure win against Ozen

By CHRIS DABE, The Enterprise

09/09/2007

Updated 09/09/2007 01:08:48 AM CDT

Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly

Tammy McKinley/Enterprise

Memorial’s Patterson Clay runs down the field against Ozen at Cardinal Stadium in Beaumont on Saturday. 

BEAUMONT - So, maybe scoring touchdowns from inside the opponent's 10-yard line is harder than it seems.

The Memorial football team had five such trips yield no points in its 19-12 victory Saturday against Ozen at Cardinal Stadium.

Only a recovered fumble in the end zone after an errant punt snap by Ozen early in the fourth quarter gave Memorial a lead it held for good. Memorial also had two safeties in the first half.

"They did a good job defensively, and offensively, we didn't," said Memorial coach Ronnie Thompson, whose team was the last Southeast Texas squad to play a season-opening game.

The Titans' only offensive touchdown came on its first drive. Quarterback Harry Brown capped a 15-play, 84-yard drive with a 9-yard run on fourth-down to give Memorial a 7-0 lead.

Ozen led 12-11 after Javon Dartez rushed around the left end and sprinted 70 yards for a touchdown on the first play of the second half. He later had a 73-yard carry and finished with 154 yards.

Advertisement

Ozen fumbled away the ball at the Memorial 5 two plays after Dartez's second long run, midway through the third quarter. The Panthers ended their last possession with a fourth lost fumble, with less than 2 minutes left.

Memorial (1-0) got inside the Ozen 10 and failed to score four times in the first half. The first such drive ended with an interception thrown by Jarael Alexander.

After Dartez's long touchdown run, Memorial got inside the Ozen 10, but a botched snap on a field goal attempt ended the drive midway through the third quarter.

Ozen (0-2) committed 10 of its 16 penalties in the first half, during which Memorial could well have held a 30-point lead.

Brown and Alexander shared quarterbacking duties for the Titans. Brown, a varsity backup last season, completed 16 of 26 passes for 119 yards. He also rushed 15 times for 62 yards.

Alexander completed one of three passes for two yards and the interception. He ran for 26 yards.

Memorial running back Patterson Clay rushed 19 times for 99 yards and caught seven passes for 39 yards.

Ozen quarterback Cory Lewis did not play because of shoulder and rib injuries suffered last week against West Brook. Marquis Moore competed three of 11 passes for 90 yards and a touchdown.

Moore's touchdown was an 84-yard pass to Kevin Newton, who snatched the ball from above a Memorial defender's outstretched arms and ran the last 50 yards down the left sideline to the end zone. That cut Ozen's deficit to 9-6 in the second quarter.

Updated 09/09/2007 01:08:48 AM CDT

©The Beaumont Enterprise 2007

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami