Coach Neumann And The Nederland Spread

It woulda worked years ago. Bout time it has happened.

Scooter...I think Nederland should have implemented the spread after the '01 season when they went to semi's. Same time period alot of other upper tier football programs started the spread. IMO...I think Ned is a few yrs behind on catching up with rest of spread teams. For Nederland to be successful with spread this season, it will come down to the 0-line. I would like to see it work!

Scooter...I think Nederland should have implemented the spread after the '01 season when they went to semi's. Same time period alot of other upper tier football programs started the spread. IMO...I think Ned is a few yrs behind on catching up with rest of spread teams. For Nederland to be successful with spread this season, it will come down to the 0-line. I would like to see it work!

I would have liked to see them in the spread when Sullivan was QB.

I completely agree, Scooter. Sullivan would have been the prototypical Spread QB in my opinion. We also could have done it years later with Dean who was also a good scrambler but did not have to scramble all that much because his O-Line was so good. I am excited to see if Sampere has even a fraction of the scrambling and play-making abilities that Sullivan had because if he does it will make the offense extremely exciting to watch.

We also could have done it years later with Dean who was also a good scrambler but did not have to scramble all that much because his O-Line was so good. I am excited to see if Sampere has even a fraction of the scrambling and play-making abilities that Sullivan had because if he does it will make the offense extremely exciting to watch.

Jake94...I pretty sure Neumann explored the spread with Dean. For certain reasons Neumann scrapped the spread before the season started. Sampere will be fun to watch this season.

The reason I brought up Dean as well is that he was good when he tucked the ball and ran as well.  Remember the long TD run at PN-G? Also, we had NO running game at all that year and I think it would have worked with him. I am sure Neumann had good reasons for not doing it. I still think it would have been best suited to Sullivan's abilities. I hope Sampere is similar.

jake, you talking about the long TD run that was called back for taunting? Yeah, I remember that one. Dean played some WR when they brought Hood in, so yeah, he could motor.

I haven't seen Sampere with much playing time yet, so y'all keep me up to date.

The reason I brought up Dean as well is that he was good when he tucked the ball and ran as well.  Remember the long TD run at PN-G? Also, we had NO running game at all that year and I think it would have worked with him. I am sure Neumann had good reasons for not doing it. I still think it would have been best suited to Sullivan's abilities. I hope Sampere is similar.

Sullivan had speed outta no where, i remember going to WO-S for the NED game when he broke for like a 70 yarder---no one was within about 10 yards of him.

Dustin Hood would have be the prototypical spread qb at Nederland. You don't have to be a good runner to fit the spread offense. Look at Manning, any of the Texas Tech quarterbacks, or the University of Hawaii quarterbacks.

There are two kinds of spreads...one that implements the option read ala Texas and VY or the air-it-out 60 times a game ala Mike Leech at TT.

Anyway, back to the point, Hood was the smartest and probably most efficient quarterback to ever play at Nederland. The staff probably gave him the choice of calling most the plays at the LOS.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83

• To clarify, Dems love wars. They rage daily in the bluest of blue inner citicis. Chicago had 39 shootings over the weekend, 9 dead. Warzone. Baltimore, Memphis, Detroit, etc. I am sure was just as bloody. The blue body count rises daily. I am sure the blue defunding of police and releasing murders without any bail have nothing to do with it. Right?   
    • Will probably be released by the Democrats come September.  Sound familiar?
    • Sure.  You reassign an employee and they leave voluntarily instead of being fired and being open to litigation.  The outcome is the same, but you are making my point.  The superintendent and AD and principal are all empowered to make personnel decisions.  Instead of accepting the decision made, you talk about lawyering up, no one else was reprimanded, railroad job.  I am old enough to remember when high school sports taught life lessons...accountability being chief among them.
    • I know absolutely nothing about the situation, but I do know head coaches of sports other than the AD have actual teaching assignments, and I know from my wife having worked in the sped department of multiple schools that it’s not uncommon at all for coaches to shirk those duties.  It could very well be that this was the case at BC.  Or not, I don’t know.  Just bringing this up to point out the fact that, although many coaches only want to worry about coaching, they generally have several other responsibilities at the school.  some of them neglect or ignore these duties entirely.  If he’s been written up for other issues before, it’s a dumb argument to say “he was punished for this and others were not”.  If he had a pile of write ups in his file and they did not then it makes sense that the punishments were different.  
    • He wasn’t fired, he was reassigned and people get reassigned all the time. If he was actually fired, then you would have a point, but he wasn’t fired. Based on the information presented here no way this would stand if they fired him and he lawyered up. 
  • Topics