How is PNG...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok ok, so weve got to give Ned a hard time. Just the way it has to be.

How can you say most freshman football players at PNG have never played basketball before? I promise you 70% of them have. And I never said that these kids as freshmen would be able to compete with the jrs and srs who have been in the program for a couple of years already, some may be able to and some may not. BUT the whole point of the post was that IF he recruited these kids as freshman, by the time they were jrs and srs they would be alot further along and be better as a team because they are the superior athletes to the ones Abel is putting on the floor year in and year out.

As far as Little Dribblers goes, Brian English does a pretty dang good job of running the Nederland Little Dribblers program, or at least helping out with it. By getting gym space and running all-star teams and such. Abel has done absolutely nothing in that way to help his program and it shows dramatically. English is going to make Abel look like a fool as long as they are coaching across the tracks from each other. English seems to have it between the ears, where as Abel doesnt. Abel once told one of his better young basketball players that he COULD NOT continue to play basketball for him if he chose to be in baseball athletics over basketball athletics, so he quit! I mean how ignorant is that?

Wheres Phil Vergera when you need him?

Guest catfever

Doesn't English have kids in Little Dribblers.  So it would be said that parents are running it.  Does Abel have kids in Little Dribblers.  That might be your response.  There are always reasons as to why people don't have camps or run little dribblers.  When does Little Dribblers start?  December.  That would be right in the middle of basketball season.  Then he would be criticized for spending time on Little Dribblers and not the Varsity Basketball Team. 

I got another question.  Why is a 4A Head Basketball Coach even coaching football.  He should be focusing all of his attention on basketball.  Make him coach another second sport.  Why does it have to be football.  Their seasons overlap.  That would be like the Head Baseball coach , coaching basketball.  I bet that doesn't happen at PNG.

Brian English is envolved with his kids that happen to be in a little dribblers program, as a parent, not a head coach.

Do we see any head baseball, football coach involved in any little leagues anywhere. No.

English, Robertson, Rice, Boutte, not to mention Larence Wiliams all have parent problems every year. But if I do have a question or a problem with something he or she, says (any coach) or does, I would go to him in person to discuss the issue.

70% may have played but it would have been impossible to get that many on any Jr. High basketball program. Coach Abel would love to see more kids come out, I do not know why they don't, I guess they think they are not any good and see no future in it for them.

By the way Catfever I do agree with you 100%. No head coach should be expected to coach a sport that would take time away from his main responsiblity. Much like Brian English over at Nederland not haveing a basketball class but 3 days a week. This puts English and Abel at a disadvantage.

Pat Abel has a kid that plays in the PNG Little Dribblers, but is NEVER around.

And maybe these other coaches have parent problems every year because they do what it takes to win basketball games and dont let certain parents get involved, which causes friction. NOT because they are bad guys or coaches.

Ever think of this!? The upper echelon kids coming into PNG dont play basketball because all theyve ever seen is how bad PNG gets its face kicked in ever year? Who wants to be a part of that? Its not about the number of kids that go out for bball at PNG its about the quality of kids. And the quality isnt there and will never be there unless someone puts a little more effort in getting them out there and turning the program around.

Guest OFballer

If you start recruiting kids away from football and into basketball, you won't be coaching for long. Football AD's have a nice way of controlling that. And by the way Lance Robertson at Vidor coaches 9th grade football(fact). Coach Abel is a great coach that cares about his program. The idea is to have your core players play straight basketball. And then you use football players as roll players (athletic defenders, toughness, rebounding). It's hard to build a solid basketball program if you're depending on multi-sport players to carry the load.

Guest OFballer

But the problem is that the football coaches do not see it that way. Most football coaches want their players in the off-season after football in order to get bigger and stronger. They feel threatened when football players leave to play basketball. It puts the kids in a bad spot when coaches start playing mind games. I've actually heard football coaches telling their kids "playing basketball is making you weaker". It's laughable.

OFballer, I do agree with you, but I will still have to talk to Lance about coaching football. You may be better aware of his situation at Vidor a little more than I am. If he is envolved he is not the head coach as Abel is at PNG.

I thought Lance told me he took over English's old schedule and English did not coach any 9th grade football.

One last word about getting rid of a good coach for change. Go talk to Lumberton.

Guest KirbyKat

Well, boys and girls, seem like I have missed another spirited debate PNG hoops. It has made for outstanding and entertaining reading. I have nothing more to add on the subject, I'm to biased. But in response to Trad on Nederland basketball, Coach English is doing a great job and the program seems to be coming back. However that is all can say, due to my confidentiality clause in my contract. Ha! Great to talk some hoops. Get the fat guy's name off the page. He's out of the loop. He was a horrible coach, just ask the parents, oops, I mean the experts. Thanks for the correction Trad, I knew if I was wrong someone would catch it. BTW, those were outstanding Vidor teams.

Guest whatdoIknow

Boy it is a sad day in high school basketball...when all that is being talked about is PNG hoops.  I think that Coach Able should do a mini-clinic on fly fishing and maybe he will get the respect he deserves.  Coach don't worry about these yo yo's on this board and go have you a cold one!

Guest OFballer

Kirby,

If your referring to L.Williams with the fatguy comment, you are way out of line. Lawrence was not a horrible coach. He may have had a few parental problems, but what coach doesn't. I would LOVE to see Coach Williams back in the 1st chair somewhere. He got a raw deal and should be coaching somewhere. As a former player of coach Williams, I 'll stand by this today that he was one of the best motivators I've ever been around. He could still get me to run through a brick wall. Love the Guy!

OFballer once again we are in agreement about Larence Williams. If Coach English does not turn the program around at Nederland like most hope he does the parents will turn cancerous on him as they did Williams. And I will check into this football thing. I believe little of what I read on here and only half of what I actually see.

Whoa whoa whoa. Lets stop right there. Coach Williams was brutal. Especially his last 2 seasons at Ned. Where he INSISTED on not only starting his son, but playing him almost the entire game every game. If I was a parent of ANY of the other players on those teams I would have said stuff too. He wasted a pretty talented team his sons jr year. Then all his real talent transferred. Cant say I blame them. He may, and i use that word very very lightly, may have been a decent motivator. BUT he was a horrible x's and o's coach and had no relationship with his players. I once witnessed him sit in a coushioned, reclining chair to coach a basketball game. The guy was a slob. Thanks goodness I dont have to watch him twice a year any longer.

English is the real deal for Ned. They will be MUCH better off.

Guest KirbyKat

My man Yahtzee, I hate to start it all over again, but, his son did not hardly play as a junior, I know this because my son was a senior that season. The team that year was dominated by a group of selfish seniors that would not have listened to John Wooden. as far as players transferring, wrong again. Wise and Mayfield transfered In that summer and went back to Memorial when he got out. You can question everything else, but make sure you have the facts right. I can only tell you, he had a great relationship with my son and the group of kids the following year. But I agree with another poster, why are we debating THIS TOPIC, he's out, English is in, Abels a quality coach and anything more is absurd...it's PNG/Nederland basketball...wow.

Guest whatdoIknow

What do you know BC card?  What does BC know about basketball?

Back to the subject of the previous nhs coach...never really cared for him much....too loud!  But....he was an excellant x/o's coach.  He really knew the game of basketball.  And no one could ever doubt the amount of time he put into the game.  That comes from many of his coaching piers that I have spoken to in the past. 

Guest whatdoIknow

I heard he loves great fishing....we got a couple of good fishing cuts north of smith lake.  Him and coach Robertson should ignore these jerks on this board, grab their rod and reels and try their luck.  They are truly two great coaches!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder