WB in a local 3a,4a Tourney

What benefits would there be for West Brook to take part in a local 4a, 3a tournament??  List as many as you can......or do you think there are none??

With WB's track record they should never play in a tournament less than 5A. Memorial is another story, they should never play in a 5A tournament till they get some stability in their program, which is possible.   

I think playing in a local event (which supposedly 'playing down') has some other benefits.  I have always thought a preseason tourney with ALL the local teams would be tremendous...including 3A, 4A and 5A.  Can you imagine the action on this board alone????  Plus, I don't buy in that they'd be playing down...there are some really good teams (classification be damned).

Herre is what would happen. WB would run out of pitching by the third game and all of the area teams would save their ace for WB. Every game would be close, but I think the main goal of all the other teams would be to beat WB, not win the tournament. But then again who knows, maby teams would swallow their pride and admit WB is better after this tournament. That is the only good thing that would come out of this.

There used to be (70-80s) a tourn put on by the YMBL (I think) were all teams play somewhat like the basketball tourn they have today but not divided. This tourn was held at the old French HS field and drew large crowds. 

I agree with MIF04...WB would not be playing down every game ( classification be damned ).

I do not agree with WG88pitcher...I do not believe every team's goal would be winning against WB. Barbers Hill's goal would be to win the tournament. Oh, and some teams have more than one ace.  ;)

With whats been said, nobody in less than 5a (just in the area of course) can beat WB and the non believers really dont want to play them because they would have to swallow their pride if they did play and admit to all WB is the best. >>      I think a reality check is in order here. In the spring of 96 a 4a Jv team beat WBs Jv at WB, in fact it was a no hit, spanking, I really wish they would have got back together again as a varsity team. I think your coach Moe was a ast on the 4a team that yr. 

With whats been said, nobody in less than 5a (just in the area of course) can beat WB and the non believers really dont want to play them because they would have to swallow their pride if they did play and admit to all WB is the best. >>       I think a reality check is in order here. In the spring of 96 a 4a Jv team beat WBs Jv at WB, in fact it was a no hit, spanking, I really wish they would have got back together again as a varsity team. I think your coach Moe was a ast on the 4a team that yr. 

WELL BC'S JV BEAT A BUNCH OF 5A'S THIS YEAR AND ALMOST BEAT SULPHUR SO.......

9 posts and some from the most respected on the board yet I have not heard one thing about why this would Benefit West Brook (nothing or no one else) other then the disputable........"they would or would not be 'playing down'"....................

The Benefits for West Brook are A:

B:

C:

1:

2:

3:

What are they??

The Benefits for West Brook are

A:we can see just how good WB really is

B:we can figure out how the entire starting lineup made first team all district

C:we can figure out how the entire lineup made the SETXsuperduper team

1:we can see future all americans

2:we all can get autographs

3:the beaumont enterprise would have to cover the tournament, thus the bruins would be covered....but on page 5... ;)

WB was a team full of very good individual talent in 07, but could not seem to pull together and make a good run in the playoffs. This is one of the best teams WB has seen, or will see in the future for that matter for a long time. Their premature exit from the playoffs could have been blamed on many things this year, but the simple fact of the matter is that WB didn't play as a team, but rather as a group of individuals, and when you do that no matter how good you are you will not win in the end. WB proved that this year, and the NY Yankees do their very best to disprove this theory every year for the past five seasons, and you see where it has gotten them.

The Benefits for West Brook are

A:we can see just how good WB really is

B:we can figure out how the entire starting lineup made first team all district

C:we can figure out how the entire lineup made the SETXsuperduper team

1:we can see future all americans

2:we all can get autographs

3:the beaumont enterprise would have to cover the tournament, thus the bruins would be covered....but on page 5... ;)

A.  All you had to do was come to a game or two to see how good they were (and they were very good in 2007).

B. and C.  Because their lineup had the best individual players.

1.  I don't know about future All Americans but 1 was aleady named a HS All American.

2.  I'll help you get an autograph if you really want one.

3.  Would be nice to get ANY coverage for WB.

The real advantages would be to have a true SE Texas tournament with all of the local talent in 1 event at 1 time.  On any given day, at any given year...our best team might be a 5A, 4A, 3A, etc.  The point of the tournament would not be to establish SE Texas superiority...it would be to give each team 4 or 5 games and the local fans a venue to see all the teams.  It would be a heckuva event.

WB was a team full of very good individual talent in 07, but could not seem to pull together and make a good run in the playoffs. This is one of the best teams WB has seen, or will see in the future for that matter for a long time. Their premature exit from the playoffs could have been blamed on many things this year, but the simple fact of the matter is that WB didn't play as a team, but rather as a group of individuals, and when you do that no matter how good you are you will not win in the end. WB proved that this year, and the NY Yankees do their very best to disprove this theory every year for the past five seasons, and you see where it has gotten them.

Could not disagree more.  True, it was a very good group of individual talent but they played well as a team and was a close group of kids.  They won their district (ahead of Kingwood who made it to reg finals...heck, they won 25 games.  True, we had hoped for a deeper run but they lost a playoff series to Pearland when WB's #1 pitcher couldn't pitch because he was ill and we wound up (in both losses) 1 big hit away.

I am not sure where you come up with the idea they were not " a team "....

To Baseballben:

What you have basically said in all post is that WB is- elite- (irregardless of the performance level) BECAUSE THEY ARE 5A status.

Anyone can benefit from playing someone that may beat you-whether they are schools of less enrollment or not!

of the teams you named........

LC-M is a scrimmage every year (district Champs)

PN-G is a Scrimmage every year and they are in the WB tourney

game went 8 innings last year!! (district runner up)

Played BH early last year, even lost to them(although not one WB (district) starting pitcher saw the mound) (district runner up)

some you didn't name.......

Jasper was a scrimmage last year(duhh)

Nederland is a scrimmage every year(one game playoff lose to vidor)

play Ozen to start the season, even lost last year(no (district) starting WB pitcher saw the mound)  (??)

played central ??

played Vidor('s best team ever) 11-1 (3rd playoff spot in district)

That's 8 area teams WB has worked with, just using last year for example..........take the local 4a district and BH's district and West Brook worked with the top 4 teams in one(lcm,png,vidor,nederland) district and one of the top teams (BH) in the other...........5 of the best in both 4a districts...........

IMO....I would say, West Brook works with the local teams enough........

East TX ( your putting words in my mouth and I take offence)

I separate myself from these others who are saying West Brook would beat every team in this area all the time (that's a ridicules thought...and also the beauty of the game)........I am more for them playing teams early in the season that mirror what they will see come  APRIL MAY and JUNE

eagle07.........list what you think West Brooks benefits would be.....NO ONE HAS DONE IT............... YET!?!?!?! also how many 2a-3a tournaments did BH go to last year??

I don't know...maybe it's me....but I kinda came away with the same feeling as East Texas... I'd say WB's benefits would be getting to play against some quality competition with little or no travel involved. I do agree a tournament like the one proposed would be of greater benefit to fans and supporters of SETex baseball. As far as the upcoming '08 season, I believe there are several different teams that would have a shot at winning the tournament.

Now that you have made me aware that WB scrimmages against several of these teams each year...you're point becomes more clear.

Shall I dare ask....what benefit to you get out of these scrimmages ?  ;)

I don't know what they get out of scrimmages my guess is the same as everyone else + what you have already said......good quality teams and less driving before the season....... (yet they added Clear Creek (5a) and went there...also they went to Lufkin but my understanding is that scrimmige rotates??)

I do know why local teams are on early because I asked, when I saw Central on the schedule...........i was told.......between 5 game weekends and traveling to tournaments they play local teams on the Tuesdays before they have to really travel........ex: Ozen.....Central.....Vidor....were all played before going into tournaments..........BH game was in a 5a tournament BH chose to go to......PNG game was in WB's own 5a tournaments which PNG is welcomed in by WB.....

would you believe little or no travel involved might not be a benefit??  here is how.......6 of 7 away games are on bus rides 60 minutes or longer.........then if you make the playoffs..............once again....you travel.....

West Brook plays as many local teams in non-district as anyone.  They can't do anything about the UIL and where they get classified in 21-5A.

First, the Bruins usually get everyone's 'best shot' when they play a local team.  And that benefits them to have better pitchers thrown against them, etc.  Second, WB can throw their other pitchers back at them.  In a sense, it is a great equalizer.  Moreover, I just think its good for the local teams to play one another.  And I don't buy in to the '5A is better than 4A is better than 3A' as it applies to individual teams.  I do think 21-5A (top to bottom, year in and year out) is a tougher district than the local 4A or 3A districts although those districts have put out a number of good teams.  For example, no body (in any classification) wanted to face BH with Hales or New Caney with Dean (or Huffman with Listi).  Good baseball is good baseball...no matter where it is played.

I am still on the bandwagon for an area wide tournament.  Divide SE Texas into 'sub regions' for pool play.  Then bracket the pool winners in the championship bracket, 2nd place in the silver bracket, etc.  Spread the games out across the area at 4-6 venues with the finals rotating from school to school each year.  Pay the umpires off the top then give the rest of the $ to a local charity/worthwhile cause.  Maybe give some of the $ to TASO (like off season event) and even the umps work free.  Probably whistling in the dark...

West Brook plays as many local teams in non-district as anyone.  They can't do anything about the UIL and where they get classified in 21-5A.

First, the Bruins usually get everyone's 'best shot' when they play a local team.  And that benefits them to have better pitchers thrown against them, etc.  Second, WB can throw their other pitchers back at them.  In a sense, it is a great equalizer.  Moreover, I just think its good for the local teams to play one another.  And I don't buy in to the '5A is better than 4A is better than 3A' as it applies to individual teams.  I do think 21-5A (top to bottom, year in and year out) is a tougher district than the local 4A or 3A districts although those districts have put out a number of good teams.  For example, no body (in any classification) wanted to face BH with Hales or New Caney with Dean (or Huffman with Listi).  Good baseball is good baseball...no matter where it is played.

I am still on the bandwagon for an area wide tournament.  Divide SE Texas into 'sub regions' for pool play.  Then bracket the pool winners in the championship bracket, 2nd place in the silver bracket, etc.  Spread the games out across the area at 4-6 venues with the finals rotating from school to school each year.  Pay the umpires off the top then give the rest of the $ to a local charity/worthwhile cause.   Maybe give some of the $ to TASO (like off season event) and even the umps work free.  Probably whistling in the dark...

THAT SOUNDS GOOD!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder