How much does speed matter in the outfield??

Guest Orangeboy

i think it's important to have some speed but it's more about your first couple of steps and the route you take to the ball...i'm an outfielder and this past couple of years our senior has given tips and he always told me to work my my jumps...

Are you talking about the centerfielder?

Guest Orangeboy

he has a heck of an arm...clocked throwing 90 in the outfield at a combine we went too...and a pretty good stick on him too...

What was his name again?

Is this a serious post? How would speed in the outfield not be benificial? You need to go sit in a corner and think about what you just asked.

i never said speed wasn't beneficial. of coarse it is. but, you dont necessarily need a ton of it to get to balls in the gap.. i've seen several players who weren't all that fast, get to balls in the gap. and then i've seen players with lighting speed that couldn't get to them, just cuz they can't judge a ball near as good..

i played college baseball in the outfield for 4 years at a nationally ranked NAIA school.  our centerfielder and right fielder were 2 of the slower guys on the team.  but they got great jumps and could catch anything.  speed is definetely a plus but john kruk played the outfield so did pete incavalia.  even some of the best centerfielders today arent that fast, ie jim edmonds, aaron rowand...etc.  so it doesnt matter all that much but is always a plus.  but you can run like the wind and take bad angles and not get good jumps and be terrible out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Homer...

You can teach skills...it's called practice, work ethic, etc. You can't teach speed.

I know he wasn't a outfielder but Joe Morgan WAS taught to be a Second baseman thru hrs and hrs of fielding ground balls. I was told by a MLB scout conerning Chip Ambres "We dont care how he hits, we want to see him run" Now I know I'm old and this quote was made while some here were pooping green, BUT some MLB teams still rate speed over other tools.

i played college baseball in the outfield for 4 years at a nationally ranked NAIA school.  our centerfielder and right fielder were 2 of the slower guys on the team.  but they got great jumps and could catch anything.  speed is definetely a plus but john kruk played the outfield so did pete incavalia.  even some of the best centerfielders today arent that fast, ie jim edmonds, aaron rowand...etc.  so it doesnt matter all that much but is always a plus.  but you can run like the wind and take bad angles and not get good jumps and be terrible out there.

a nationally ranked NAIA school is like being the smartest kid in a special needs class

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder