How much does speed matter in the outfield??

Guest Orangeboy

i think it's important to have some speed but it's more about your first couple of steps and the route you take to the ball...i'm an outfielder and this past couple of years our senior has given tips and he always told me to work my my jumps...

Are you talking about the centerfielder?

Guest Orangeboy

he has a heck of an arm...clocked throwing 90 in the outfield at a combine we went too...and a pretty good stick on him too...

What was his name again?

Is this a serious post? How would speed in the outfield not be benificial? You need to go sit in a corner and think about what you just asked.

i never said speed wasn't beneficial. of coarse it is. but, you dont necessarily need a ton of it to get to balls in the gap.. i've seen several players who weren't all that fast, get to balls in the gap. and then i've seen players with lighting speed that couldn't get to them, just cuz they can't judge a ball near as good..

i played college baseball in the outfield for 4 years at a nationally ranked NAIA school.  our centerfielder and right fielder were 2 of the slower guys on the team.  but they got great jumps and could catch anything.  speed is definetely a plus but john kruk played the outfield so did pete incavalia.  even some of the best centerfielders today arent that fast, ie jim edmonds, aaron rowand...etc.  so it doesnt matter all that much but is always a plus.  but you can run like the wind and take bad angles and not get good jumps and be terrible out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Homer...

You can teach skills...it's called practice, work ethic, etc. You can't teach speed.

I know he wasn't a outfielder but Joe Morgan WAS taught to be a Second baseman thru hrs and hrs of fielding ground balls. I was told by a MLB scout conerning Chip Ambres "We dont care how he hits, we want to see him run" Now I know I'm old and this quote was made while some here were pooping green, BUT some MLB teams still rate speed over other tools.

i played college baseball in the outfield for 4 years at a nationally ranked NAIA school.  our centerfielder and right fielder were 2 of the slower guys on the team.  but they got great jumps and could catch anything.  speed is definetely a plus but john kruk played the outfield so did pete incavalia.  even some of the best centerfielders today arent that fast, ie jim edmonds, aaron rowand...etc.  so it doesnt matter all that much but is always a plus.  but you can run like the wind and take bad angles and not get good jumps and be terrible out there.

a nationally ranked NAIA school is like being the smartest kid in a special needs class

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124

• Okay.  That is a good argument.  There is no law prohibiting the stocks and the Supreme Court was correct by the letter of the law and Constitution but citizens should refuse to buy them. If every person voluntarily turned theirs in and refused to buy any, I am okay with it. It won’t stop the willing from anything however. 
    • From the article:   "In some ways, the dispute over the 2000 presidential election will never end. Witness Vice President Biden's comments Wednesday about predecessor Al Gore. "This man was elected president of the United States of America," Biden said at a fundraiser that Gore also attended. "No, no, no. He was elected president of the United States of America." WOW!!  And no one was indicted for questioning the results an this election.  Amazing how times have changed.   This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up @Big girl  @UT alum  @CardinalBacker  @Boyz N Da Hood         What say you?!
    • What you are failing to realize is this….. you act as if the only reason this person committed this heinous crime is because of bump stocks. My realization is that he would have done it anyway. Bump stocks did not create this crime, he did. You need to learn where that line really is. 
    • If you want bump stocks banned, you are going to need Congress.
    • This is my point, made initially.   We, as gun owners, should demand accountability from those who manufacture and sell these things.  But instead we argue "but it's our RIGHT to own them," thereby insuring that another mass killing happens in the future.  At which point in time we'll wring our hands, offer thoughts and prayers, say how it's not a gun that kills, but rather a hard heart that kills.     Gun manufacturers and sellers don't mind threats from people who were never going to buy from them anyways.  If actual gun owners were to threaten a boycott of businesses that produce/sell bump stocks, they'd disappear from the market.  But instead we take the losing side of an argument on philosophical grounds.   We don't need the feds with more regulations or congress to pass new legislation... we, as consumers control the market.  What's available, etc.   WE, as the actual customers of weapons should be using our voices to determine what is produced/sold by the gun industry.  
  • Topics