Silsbee 24 Lumberton 12/FINAL

WOSgrad

5 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Misinformed? About what? Everything I said was true except about how I would feel if I was the Boykin kid. I’ll save my next long answer once you’ve told me what I’m misinformed about. 

Misinformed about the way things transpired with the Boykin situation (and it’s not my place or anybody else's to come on here and give the details so i won’t). Misinformed about why Boykin was put at running back. It was for a reason, and by the way if you talk to Babin you would know that Boykin was in agreement with playing running back and even excited about it. Why? Because they had a plan for it. There was a “method to the madness” if you wanna put it that way. Wanna know the reason why they did it? Go ask Babin yourself. Misinformed about the extra point kicker being hurt... he’s not. Again, there’s a reason why we go for two. I believe I was told we are 7/10 when going for two this year... I’ll take those odds. That’s means we’ve scored 14 points vs a possible 10 points on all those tries assuming we make every extra point, which usually doesn’t happen in HS football. Again, I’ll take that. Misinformed about trying to recruit a soccer player to kick. He did do that, the player lasted one practice for whatever reason. I know from when I was in school that soccer players usually aren’t interested in suiting up on Friday nights. 

Now, I did what I said I wouldn’t do. I answered SOME of your questions. The rest can be discussed one on one with Coach Babin if you would like.

14 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

I don't know if my opinions are necessarily popular opinion, and I like a lot of the things Coach Babin does. He's especially done a lot to get community involvement and to get a lot of kids playing football.

BUT when you stated "A good coach puts his players in the best position to win. That’s what I believe Coach Babin is doing...", I had to stop and say something.

So why in the world would Coach put Barthol (an excellent running back...) at the QB position after our starting QB, Boykin, was back from injury. Boykin is the same kid that came in as a snotty-nosed sophomore last year and helped the Raiders win a bi-district championship! And he's only gotten better and more experienced since last year! Ok, I got one better for you. Not only did he keep Barthol at QB, but he put Boykin at RB!!!

Barthol can't throw (but Boykin can)...Barthol burns up 1500 to 2000 yards a game just going to the sidelines to get the plays from the coach cuz Barthol doesn't know the signals (like Boykin does)... Barthol let's the defense put 10 in the box with a free safety about 7 yards out for "just-in-case"... That's not fair to anyone on that offense - not even the line.

The Boykin kid, a QB, can get some yards scrambling as a QB or with a keeper when he takes a direct snap, but he ain't real fast. Barthol is... Boykin is coming off an injury where running the ball and blocking is more apt to cause more injury. Simply put, Boykin is not a running back...

Let's talk about morale and chemistry for a second. Let's say you're the QB (Boykin), and you get knocked out due to injury. Your replacement (Barthol) does a great job as QB (running, mind you, not throwing) against some teams that are not anywhere near in the same class of competition you'll be facing in district... Now you're better and able to return to play, but your head coach (Babin) tells you (through his actions) "Naw, I'm done with you for now - I got me a shiny new QB (RB) to fill your shoes." Even worse, to appease you, he decides he'll let you take a few snaps as a RB along with the other committee of 5 or 6 or 7 guys Lumberton has running the ball... If you're Boykin, how are you gonna feel? Thankful the coach was able to fit you in a little? No. Your gonna feel like he gave up on you. Then comes the irony. Your shiny new QB (RB) gets hurt and now you NEED Boykin to come out and save the day. Of course, he hasn't been getting many QB reps in practice and none in the game, and now when you're down in the count against a talented Silsbee team, you expect him to put his QB face on and win one for the Gipper. I don't know about him, but if I was that kid, I would have wanted to tell Coach to go to the sidelines and find someone else to clean up his filthy mess! There was no chemistry or synchronicity after that. The wheels came off the cart offensively. It was kind of disgusting...

Maybe his intentions are pure, and he's trying to do the best thing for his Raiders that he can. None of us from the outside know the exact situation, especially if we don't have kids that play anymore. But if you're telling me that what I witnessed Friday night was an example of "A good coach puts his players in the best position to win..." then Houston, we have a problem.

Question: Why don't we kick field goals and extra points? Answer: Cuz the kicker is hurt. Question: Is there a JV kid (pick one off any of the 3 JV squads we have) that can kick a ball through the goal posts? Answer: (crickets) Question: Have you ever thought about recruiting a kid on the boy's OR  girl's soccer team to come and kick? Answer: (even more crickets) Question: Is the coach really putting his players in the best position to win? Answer: (Crickets so loud it reminds me of the locusts from Exodus - "They covered the surface of the soil till the ground was black with them...")

Last year it was Lumberton finally has a QB to work with for 3 years and now Barthol is suddenly the go to question is how does Barthol get overlooked last year to get the Reps to prep for the next couple years? But it will probably work out in the Slot all you need are RB types. 

56 minutes ago, STL.22 said:

Last year it was Lumberton finally has a QB to work with for 3 years and now Barthol is suddenly the go to question is how does Barthol get overlooked last year to get the Reps to prep for the next couple years? But it will probably work out in the Slot all you need are RB types. 

Barthol didn't play last year. No conspiracy there...

1 hour ago, L-Train11 said:

I don’t post any info like that  that has to do with team details unless it’s verified... by a VERY trusted source I might add

Get a better source... Much of your info is wrong or misleading. But before I break down your response and continue with further detail on why I refuted your statement that "A good coach puts his players in the best position to win. That’s what I believe Coach Babin is doing...", I want to say this: I believe Coach Babin is doing what he thinks is best for his team. I believe he wants to win. I think he's an awesome guy! Like I said before, I like how he has rallied the community and gotten record player numbers in football!  I just don't think his methods are working, nor do I think all of his decisions (though well intended) are having a positive affect on the team. Finally, if he or you or anyone else thinks this offense is going to get any further than last year, then you've got another thing coming!!! I'll repeat - I'm a fan of the Coach. I'm just not the type of person that lets everyone do my thinking for me. We are all human (yes, even me). We all make mistakes (yes, even me). That means Coach Babin can make mistakes, right? I'm simply stating my well documented opinion as to what I believe are some huge and harmful mistakes going on in L-Town.

With that being said, I will answer your earlier response point by point:

Point I

You - a. "Misinformed about the way things transpired with the Boykin situation (and it’s not my place or anybody else's to come on here and give the details so i won’t). b. Misinformed about why Boykin was put at running back. It was for a reason, and by the way if you talk to Babin you would know that c. Boykin was in agreement with playing running back and even excited about it. Why? Because they had a plan for it. There was a “method to the madness” if you wanna put it that way. Wanna know the reason why they did it? d. Go ask Babin yourself."

a. Boykin was hurt in the combination scrimmage against Newton & Nederland and could not play - several other QB's were tried out and finally Barthol was settled on (an excellent choice given the circumstances). When Boykin was released and ready to play against Furr, a decision was made to keep Barthol at QB because of his success in the games he filled in (against a much lesser team). Boykin played some later in the 2nd half. Probably a good decision to make sure he was ok to "go". The next week was against Evadale after the Concordia Lutheran game had to be cancelled. Funny though - still Barthol under center... Now wouldn't you think if your intention was to eventually bring back Boykin as your starter, this would be a good game to do it? Boykin got some limited playing time and that's it. On to the next game... Silsbee - a real team with a real rivalry and a real defense with some real coaches... A team where you might want to have the ability to run AND throw... QB/RB Barthol gets the first snaps. Boykin comes in first as a RB (which means he was definitely healthy enough to play QB). Once Barthol was hurt, Boykin came in as a QB. Now I'm sure the "method to the madness" was to let Boykin come in and take a handoff from Barthol then drop back and throw to Koch or maybe even back to Barthol for some cool razzle dazzle...but that's conjecture on my part. Nothing above that I stated is misinformed. I did throw in my opinion a little based on very good firsthand information - even closer than you taking the coach's word for it.

b. & c. Part of b. got answered above which leads to the c. part... I won't go into great detail, but I can definitely tell you that YOU are the one misinformed here, my friend. Nothing could be further from reality.

d. This is a forum where a bunch of half wits (me included) get together and discuss among many different things, the most awesome game of High School Football. Some guys on here are very well informed and very smart on the subject. Some are quite lacking. I'd like to think I land in the middle somewhere. So as a poster on a forum or even a concerned fan, I'm not about to walk into a professional's office and start to tell him how to do his job (like a bunch of half wits sometimes do for some reason when it comes to high school coaches). Would it surprise you to let you know that I visit with him somewhat regularly? That we text occasionally? It's true. Criticizing what I truly believe to be imperfect decisions on a public forum and walking into a man's office to tell him you don't like what he's doing are two separately different things... If I was the coach, I would have that person removed from the building and banned from re-entry... I enjoy my talks with him and would like to continue having them...

Point II

You: a."Misinformed about the extra point kicker being hurt... he’s not." b. Again, there’s a reason why we go for two. I believe I was told we are 7/10 when going for two this year... I’ll take those odds. That’s means we’ve scored 14 points vs a possible 10 points on all those tries assuming we make every extra point, which usually doesn’t happen in HS football. Again, I’ll take that. c. Misinformed about trying to recruit a soccer player to kick. He did do that, the player lasted one practice for whatever reason. I know from when I was in school that soccer players usually aren’t interested in suiting up on Friday nights."

a. Well, he's not now... He was early on before the season even started... I suppose (I don't know for sure) that's how this whole thing got started. Btw, what's the success percentage of going for a touchdown vs kicking a field goal to get some points on the board... cuz we don't kick field goals either.

b. 7/10 this year...MAN OH MAN what great stats!!! Against Kirbyville...Evadale...Furr... What were the stats against a higher caliber Silsbee team? 0-2! Do you like THOSE odds? Will you take that? Do you just take everything because that's what a coach says? Most importantly, do you think we will reconsider this strategy or will we keep doing it again and again and again (like only running and almost NEVER passing)?

c. Only one player? Did he go ask another or another or another? Did he check with the Girl's soccer team? I don't know the answer to those questions. You may not either. But until you tap ALL your resources then you are either giving up or not crafty enough to come up with ALL the resources you have at your disposal. Heck, have a school wide competition for the job! Make it something that everyone can be a part of! A 12th man kinda thing... A Waterboy kinda thing... Just do SOMETHING! Hearing a limp excuse that "Well he tried some kid from the soccer team once but we all know soccer kids would rather do something else on Fridays and the dog ate his homework and my alarm clock didn't go off and blah, blah, excuse, excuse, blah...........". That type of sputum makes me sick.

Look L-Train11, I know you love your team. There's no question about that. I honestly think Coach Babin wants his team to win. That's how he gets paid. That's how he gets offers from other schools to get paid more. I'm not questioning if anyone's heart is in the right place. I'm just saying that MAYBE all the stuff going on in Lumberton, despite good intentions, may not be so good. If you are happy taking Coach's word for it and embracing all decisions as the best possible, then I guess our discussion is over. But if you want to do better then don't be afraid to ask for more - to demand for more! I hope we all adopt this idea. That's what winners do. Demand more. Find a way. Never give up. RUN OVER THE WEAK!!! And to me, the weak are the ones who are complacent. The weak ones fool themselves into thinking that they are more than they really are. I refuse to be complacent.

Geez, I almost stood up and started singing, "God Bless America!". I think I need counseling...

I don’t need a better source, because I’ve got the best source for Lumberton High School football information that there currently is. So I don’t need you to tell me that I’m right to know that I’m right, so by you telling me I’m misinformed doesn’t bother me either. We’ll just agree to disagree. Btw, good job coming on here and giving a teenage kid a reason to resent his coach’s decision making, that’s what a true fan should do I suppose. Also, Barthol was hurt in the first half Friday night. A deep bone bruise to his ribs, he may be back next week. So that’s why Boykin came in at qb. That obviously wasn’t the plan all along. Maybe you should get a better source and you would know that. I’ll stick with mine. Keep on SmashMouthingtheRaiders 

1 minute ago, L-Train11 said:

I don’t need a better source, because I’ve got the best source for Lumberton High School football information that there currently is. So I don’t need you to tell me that I’m right to know that I’m right, so by you telling me I’m misinformed doesn’t bother me either. We’ll just agree to disagree. Btw, good job coming on here and giving a teenage kid a reason to resent his coach’s decision making, that’s what a true fan should do I suppose. Also, Barthol was hurt in the first half Friday night. A deep bone bruise to his ribs, he may be back next week. So that’s why Boykin came in at qb. That obviously wasn’t the plan all along. Maybe you should get a better source and you would know that. I’ll stick with mine. Keep on SmashMouthingtheRaiders 

I'm not smashing them. Your blind allegiance won't let you see that I want better for them...

You would've made a good foot soldier...

2 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I'm not smashing them. Your blind allegiance won't let you see that I want better for them...

You would've made a good foot soldier...

Babin has taken an irreverent football team to a team that cant be overlooked by a top 5 4A  division 2 team. That’s called progress, which I’ll accept. Not complacency. We can build upon that, but I think your expectations may be a little unreachable at this point. Maybe in a few years, but not yet. Give the man some time and quit publicly questioning his decision making.

17 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

Babin has taken an irreverent football team to a team that cant be overlooked by a top 5 4A  division 2 team. That’s called progress, which I’ll accept. Not complacency. We can build upon that, but I think your expectations may be a little unreachable at this point. Maybe in a few years, but not yet. Give the man some time and quit publicly questioning his decision making.

Laughable. We can continue this in PM's if you like. We are boring the masses with your blind allegiance and my quest for perfection...Lol...