HJ vs. Ozen. Who Would Win?

Guest Ozen

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not athletic, because H-J has athletes.  Ozen has overall superior Coaching.  Plus the athletes to boot.  Like I said earlier this year, this state runner up Panther team was the least talented IMO that I've ever saw and you see how good they did. 

Ozen should win simply because they have a deeper talent pool to draw from.I don't buy the superior coaching.I watched both clubs in Austin this year and the better coached team this year wasn't from the pear orchard.

Ozen should win simply because they have a deeper talent pool to draw from.I don't buy the superior coaching.I watched both clubs in Austin this year and the better coached team this year wasn't from the pear orchard.

??? ??? ???Come on dude.  You don't have to like Ozen or Boutte.  But I give respect where it was due.  You read my post about last year's panther team.

Guest DickVitale

"They" will never give credit where it is due..."They" always feel like Ozen just has superior athletes which accounts for their success..WRONG...WHSAlum, did you realize what Ozen did this season with YOUNG players?  If you think that at any point Boutte was outcoached you are, again, wrong.....If I said it once I have said it a thousand times...THERE ARE FEW OTHER COACHES IN TEXAS THAT COULD HAVE MADE IT TO THE STATE FINALS WITH THAT TEAM...VERY FEW.  I would venture to say only ONE other in SE Texas coach could have (Todd Sutherland) and thats due to his playoff experience.  And THAT'S a MAYBE....

Actually I did know what Ozen did this year with a young team.I know several of the kids that are coming back this season ,good kids.I have nothing against Ozen or Boutte just an unbiased observation.I am not from Ozen or HJ.I watched every game at this years state tourney but 1.I saw some very good coaching moves in every division 1a thru 5a.Boutte did a super job getting the panthers to the finals.I just happen to think there were a few coaches there that did a better job in the championship games.Don't put the "they" label on me just because I happen to disagree with you.Boutte is super coach but there are more than a few out there that understand the game as well as he does.You gotta admit having some talent doesn't hurt.Makes for a lively topic for the off season don't it.

Ok...Majority go to Ozen, But you do have to admit, it would be an enjoyable game to watch and it would be within a 8 point range loss for HJ. Anyone saying Ozen winning by more you must be from Ozen yourself...I say Ozen 52--HJ 47. And for those of you saying HJ will never beat Ozen, we all know its possible. But as of right now Ozen would win.

Ok...Majority go to Ozen, But you do have to admit, it would be an enjoyable game to watch and it would be within a 8 point range loss for HJ. Anyone saying Ozen winning by more you must be from Ozen yourself...I say Ozen 52--HJ 47. And for those of you saying HJ will never beat Ozen, we all know its possible. But as of right now Ozen would win.

I'm not from Ozen and I say it would be double digits easy.......

Guest DickVitale

Triple-Digits if they played long enough!! ;D...You guys kill me sometimes, not being realistic..... :o...52-47?  Get outta here!

OK let me put it to you this way... do you think that Wills Point could EVER beat Stephenville in football? Better example, could Dallas Madison EVER beat SL Carroll in football??  Same thing in this case...SL Carroll football program is just that strong..There is no way possible that will ever happen....Bold statement, yet, true. ;)

DickieV, Basketball is not football.  Don't get me wrong I totally think Ozen would win this year, but lets not use the word "Never".  And I agree , last year was Boutte's best coaching job thus far in his career, but early in the season last year Ozen could have been easly exposed by a good playing senior group at Kountze, or a hot shooting HJ team.  Probably wouldn't happened but it definetly wasn't out of the realm of possibility.  On the same lines, nobody and I mean nobody, would have given Silsbee a change 2 years ago to beat a very good Aldine team with Gary Johnson, but it happened.  This year Ozen could not be touched by a lower classification, but early in the season last year Ozen was very suspect. 

Guest DickVitale

The schedule that Ozen played in the early part of the season was pretty tough, especially for a young team..PA Memorial, Humble Christain Life (feat. 7'0" Deandre Jordan) and Aldine were no slouches. They accounted for 4 of their 6 total losses by a total of 10 points..(They were REALLY shafted against Aldine losing by 1) The other two were to West Brook @WB (which they later avenged) and in the state game....SOC was the only 4A and under team to beat them, and that was in the finals...Remember they were very young last year to boot.  HJ, Kountze or whoever 4A and below would not have beaten that team at any point last season..

The football reference was for the sake of example only, but it is ALL relative...Just think about it.

I did think about it and its apple and oranges.  I know its an example, but Football and Basketball are in 2 different categories  Like I said earlier, Silsbee had no business beating Aldine 2 years ago but they did, and it simply because basketball is just that way.  Good 2A and 3A programs can sometimes compete with larger schools.  Kountze played deep into the game with Pflugerville Connally, who gave fits to SOC last year, which is just another example of what Im talking about.  And lets just take last year out of the equation, Ozen will have a down year eventually, everyone does, so NEVER can not be said. 

Guest DickVitale

They had a down year in 2004...I agree with you...Ozen went 27-7, won district and lost to the eventual state champion Houston Jones (featuring Daniel Gibson) in the regional semi-finals.  It just happens to be true that a "down" year for some is not like "down" years in powerful programs...They were supposed to be down at the beginning of last season, remember?  Because they were so young...4A State Finalists....So, yeah...I agree with you on that....Ozen is simply a cut above, which allows me to say they will NEVER be beaten by a smaller program such as HJ, which this thread was originally about.....

By the way, Aldine is a football school that had a couple of really good teams come through due to getting some talented players....They are not a basketball  tradition rich, well coached program....by far.

I will end my part of this conversation by saying this.  I know you have strong ties to Ozen, but to say "never" is a total bias comment and border line crazy.  We all have rights to our opinion, and I'll leave it at that.  About Aldine, I will say this,  they were a Top ranked 5A school with arguably the Top Junior in the state playing in that game against 3a Silsbee.  And whether they are tradition rich, basketball or football school, doesn't matter in this situation.  The point is that Aldine was really good and was beat by a smaller, less talented team, which happens in the great game of basketball.  Another example, George Mason should never ever beat UCONN, EVER!!!!!!!! (Which is really the same situation we are talking about)  But it happened, so don't get carried away on bold predictions, which is shocking to me, being you are in the coaching profession.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124