• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bears edge past Broncos, 3-2

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS — Baseball can be a funny sport sometimes.

The Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears escaped from Don Gibbens Field with a victory Friday night after walking 11 Dayton batters and being struck out nine times themselves at the plate.

LC-M made just enough plays in the end and got out with a key 3-2 District 22-4A victory.

The win pushed the Bears to 22-4 overall and 9-2 in the district race. Dayton falls to 14-8 and 5-5.

After the game LC-M Coach Steve Griffith had nothing but compliments for Dayton starting pitcher Andy Dewey.

“We have played two great games against those guys,†Griffith said. “Twice now the games have been great. That guy on the mound is one heck of a player. I can picture him in a Big 12 uniform somewhere next year. In the end our kids did what they had to do to get the win.â€

After scoring two runs in the bottom of the first, the Bears got the eventual winning run in the bottom of the third as LC-M catcher Jake Rowell kept up his hot hitting with a leadoff single to center.

Courtesy runner Phillip Richard then quickly stole second and was moved to third by a missile off the bat of Stefan Cloeren that hit the center field fence.

Matt Johnson then brought Richard home with a RBI ground out to second making it 3-1.

The Broncos made it 3-2 in the top of the fifth as Dewey walked with one out and then stole his second base of the night to get into scoring position.

In all Dayton stole five bases in the contest.

LC-M then allowed the Broncos to load the bases on back-to-back walks and it set up Travis Smesny’s RBI fielder’s choice.

With the win the Bears stay locked in a first place tie for the district crown with the Port Neches-Groves Indians who beat Lumberton 4-0 on Friday.

Also around the district Vidor blanked Beaumont Central 10-0 and Nederlad defeated Beaumont Ozen 5-4.

With all the top teams in the district winning on Friday, it sets up a nice showdown in Nederland today at 1 p.m. when the Bears travel to face the Bulldogs.

“When I first looked at the schedule, I thought nine wins would be close to getting a team into the playoffs,†Griffith said. “We are getting close to the number of wins we will need. For this team to get in will be very gratifying considering nobody gave them a shot. If we finish 1-and-3 on the year that might secure us a playoff spot. Those teams at the three, four and five spots still have to play each other.â€

The Bears jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead after the first inning as Kris Hearn belted the first pitch from Dewey to left field for a leadoff single.

Tim Barry then drove another Dewey offering into left for back-to-back singles.

Rowell then drew a walk on four pitches and Chad Richard was then able to score Hearn on a RBI ground out to third.

With two down and the bases loaded again, LC-M starting pitcher Adam Leggett drew a RBI walk scoring Barry.

Dewey hurled all six innings for the Broncos on 99 pitches and allowed three hits and two walks to go with his nine strike outs.

Leggett went two innings for the Bears and allowed one run on two hits with three walks and one strike out.

Dallas Brown then went 2 2/3 innings with one run allowed on no hits with four walks and six strike outs.

Tim Barry hurled 2 1/3 innings and gave up no runs on one hit with four walks and two strike outs.

Just as the article did, and as everyone else has done so far, why don't we choose to focus on the positives of the game, and leave that part alone piratefan?

apparently that was part of the game.positive or not it was a part of the game..losing your coach in the middle of the game can have an impact on your team.this is a forum where we discuss things such as that, and i if i choose to discuss it i will.

if you choose not to discuss then dont.but dont tell me what to tlak about on here..I am not bashing or anything like that.It is what it is!

Guest Cherokee Nation

I have to agree with piratefan. The Dayton coache's antics have become infamous. If the guy would learn some self control, then this wouldn't be an issue being discussed. It seems he does something every game. I guarantee you his antics have a negative effect on his team. Umpires do not want every single call questioned.

I have to agree with piratefan. The Dayton coache's antics have become infamous. If the guy would learn some self control, then this wouldn't be an issue being discussed. It seems he does something every game. I guarantee you his antics have a negative effect on his team. Umpires do not want every single call questioned.

thankyou cherokee!!

In previous games our coach has thrown his hat and argued w/umps--HOWEVER--in last nights game he did nothing to warrant an ejection--the ump blew the call--the ball was clearly on the ground--the home ump was going to reverse the call but first base ump would not even allow an appeal--I understand that he has that right but in a game that means everything to Dayton the appeal should be granted--IMO THE UMPIRE SHOULD HAVE BEEN EJECTED--I believe he had something personnal going on--again Coach Craus handled himself very well

In previous games our coach has thrown his hat and argued w/umps--HOWEVER--in last nights game he did everything to warrant an ejection--the ump made a good call --the ball was clearly in the glove--the home ump was going to reverse the call but first base ump would not even allow an appeal--I understand that he has that right but in a game that means everything to Dayton the appeal should be granted--IMO THE UMPIRE SHOULD HAVE EJECTED THE COACH--I believe he had something personnal going on--against Coach Craus AND COACH'S MOMMY!!

Have seen the umps not ask for help on several occasions, seems as if they're out of position to make the call they should not think twice to ask for help. Have noticed a time or 2 the umps forget they are a 2 man team and set up for a play thinking they are a 3 man team. 

Guest Cherokee Nation

In previous games our coach has thrown his hat and argued w/umps--HOWEVER--in last nights game he did nothing to warrant an ejection--the ump blew the call--the ball was clearly on the ground--the home ump was going to reverse the call but first base ump would not even allow an appeal--I understand that he has that right but in a game that means everything to Dayton the appeal should be granted--IMO THE UMPIRE SHOULD HAVE BEEN EJECTED--I believe he had something personnal going on--again Coach Craus handled himself very well

That is kind of my point. Because of his antics the whole season, umpires will be less likely to ask for an appeal or let him plead his case. I didn't say it was right, but it is human nature to hold grudges. I would bet fellow umpires have discussed Dayton's coach and his antics amongst themselves. Look at the Tim Duncan/Joey Crawford incident. That is why I stated his antics have a negative effect on his team. Coaches like Jay Stone and Steve Griffith, who don't argue every call, might have a better chance to have the umpire listen to their appeal.

That is kind of my point. Because of his antics the whole season, umpires will be less likely to ask for an appeal or let him plead his case. I didn't say it was right, but it is human nature to hold grudges. I would bet fellow umpires have discussed Dayton's coach and his antics amongst themselves. Look at the Tim Duncan/Joey Crawford incident. That is why I stated his antics have a negative effect on his team. Coaches like Jay Stone and Steve Griffith, who don't argue every call, might have a better chance to have the umpire listen to their appeal.

good point..

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed