***UIL Considering Radical Football Realignment Plan***

I've read posts that if they UIL approves this plan, only two teams from each district would advance to the playoffs.  Why not 4 teams?  Currently there are 32 districts and two teams advance in the small division and 1 in the large division (2 for 5A).  So that is a total of 64 small division teams in the playoffs (32 districts X 2 teams).  Under this new plan there will be 16 districts so why wouldn't 4 teams be in the playoffs (16 X 4 = 64). 

The UIL wants more teams in the playoffs not less, because they get 15% off the top of the gate receipts from playoff games.  I would be very surprised if the UIL reduces the number of playoff games. 

Also in reviewing some of the projections of new district alignments and the travel, it seems many of the schools are already playing schools from ajoining districts in non-district games or scrimmages so I don't know that travel will be a big issue especially in this area.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be voted on soon!!

Shepherd and Coldspring would have to fall somewhere in here.  The bigger district it is an hour drive for any school and up to 3 for some!  Dont see this passing to much money and money is the bottom line.  I could see 4 teams and keep the districts the same. 

Guest ECBucFan

I think it will be fair and I think most of the small schools won mind the extra traveling.

I don't think you understand about small schools. The districts are generally more spread out than the larger classes to begin with. For example, EC has had teams such as Hemphill, Pineland, and, get this: Danbury in the district in the past. I don't want to/can't drive to Schulenburg after work, for example. Though, I know the UIL doesn't give a flip. All they see is $$$$$$$. >:(   

• 1 month later...
Guest 3AFan

Why don't you think it would work? It's alot more fair for the smaller schools.

That is absolutly horrible, and would not work. It would not work because of the 7th grade basketball coaches driving on LONG trips on a Tuesday night. Or the 8th grade Volleyball girls having to Cleveland or Splendora from BC or Jasper on a school night. That is stupid, and obviously thought of by people who have no clue of what all coaches have to do, other than football.

I'm sure the parents in Orangefield would love to drive to Coldspring for a Softball game, when BC is 10 miles down the road......

That is absolutly horrible, and would not work. It would not work because of the 7th grade basketball coaches driving on LONG trips on a Tuesday night. Or the 8th grade Volleyball girls having to Cleveland or Splendora from BC or Jasper on a school night. That is stupid, and obviously thought of by people who have no clue of what all coaches have to do, other than football.

Thats what im thinking bout, the trips, not only for middle schools but the HS as well.

Guest 3AFan

Thats what im thinking bout, the trips, not only for middle schools but the HS as well.

In all honesty, IT IS NOT SAFE!!!!! You wouldn't believe how many trips coaches have to drive in BAD weather. Driving a team from Shepherd to Jasper on a Tuesday or Thursday night in the Rain is HARD on a coach who also teaches all week. There is much more of a chance of the WB horror happening when your making schools drive 2 hours for events.....

This redistricting shouldn't affect JH or Middle Schools. It may call for a diferent system to be put in place but it shouldn't change JH schedules. I know our junior high doesn't play the same teams our high school does. Our JH is in a district with some new caney/conroe teams, BH, Crosby, all pretty local.

I know that life isn't all about sports, but really whats a little travel time to make some great memories. These kids will carry the memory of these events for the rest of their life. If this will give smaller schools a chance to go farther and have more success, I say lets do it.

I know we all like football fridays but every other sport plays during the school week.  As someone stated it become problematic with some travel especially in January on a long basketball trip when it is raining and or possible freezing.  We gripe here but what would this do to those west Texas towns?

Guest Sports Cards

I know that life isn't all about sports, but really whats a little travel time to make some great memories. These kids will carry the memory of these events for the rest of their life. If this will give smaller schools a chance to go farther and have more success, I say lets do it.

Personally, If I'm a parent, I don't want my 12 or 13 year old kid, riding in a bus at 11pm on a cold rainy night with a 24year old driving them back from an 8th grade basketball or volleyball game. I've been on trips from Shepherd to Jasper where coaches have literally had to stand up front with a towl, wipping the window, as the other coach drove. Or last year, when we drove through a monsoon getting to Kirbyville from BC for a JV game. It's not safe, no matter how you chalk it up. Smaller schools would have the exact same chance to make the playoff's if you cut down on super districts like 21-3A. Like the other poster posted, only 3 districts have 8 teams in them. That means a majority of teams in 3A only have to be better than 1 or 2 other teams in their district to make the playoffs. Why make people drive 2 hours.... Football wise it'd be no problem..... every other sport.... it would get dangerous. If I were a parent, I'd be fighting it tooth and nail.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder