There were many very good catchers throughout SE Texas including:

Campbell (BH)

Carnahan (PNG)

Jackson (BC)

Massey (Dayton)

Rowell (LCM)

Steinhagen (Kelly)

Wallace (WB)

There are others, this is just a starting list.  By the way, it is in alphabetical order.

Jake Rowell-LCM.  Broke school record for highest batting average in district play, I heard he only had one strike out in the regular season as well.  Not to mention he was a great leader to this very young team.

1 strik out in district is correct....talk about a very hard out!

Jake is a great offensive player - look at his batting record to see that.

I thought catcher's are also rated on their defense, such as passed balls, throwing errors, stolen base attempts, blocked balls, put outs etc.

Taking that into consideration, who would it be then?

I think you need to look at your catchers from all angles (offensively, defensively, and as the leader of  your team). 

Offensively, there are a myriad of stats to help with that factor.  Defensively, there really isn't a stat for a blocked ball in the dirt with a man on 3rd.  Same is true with leadership.  It is subjective.  When you pick the 'best' catcher, it is everyone's opinion on what you want and how you select them.  I will say this...you probably have to be Bench-esque defensively if you don't hit.  Today's game is a hitter's game...

I look at catchers a little different . Do they know how to frame a pitch. Where to set up correctly. Little things that actually help their pitchers. I have 5 that I really liked this past year.

Rowell - LCM

Carnahan - PNG

Jackson - BC

Williams - Vidor

and the one I think did the best job.

Alex Mosier - Nederland

Rowell's one of the best I've seen at rapping his glove in to make it look like the pitch caught the corner.....he got a lot of strikes called for his pitchers this year with this ability.

The two games that I saw Massey behind the plate in this year, I was really impressed.  He has really good foot work and a pretty strong arm, good combination for throwing baserunners out.

Mosier needs to work on his all around game.  I don't know the numbers but from what I saw he was pretty weak at the plate.  As a defensive catcher he's pretty legit.....and he has a HOSE!!!!!  One of the strongest arms I've seen in a while.......

You know.....it gets a little old when people use this forum to only promote their kid or best friend's kid.....both of you know who I am referring to.   There are other kids out there that just might be as talented as yours, hard as that is to imagine.   Weak at the plate for one might transfer to weak arm or slow of foot for another.  I am going to leave my post at that.  BTW, I am Moshier's Dad and not hiding behind a screen name like others. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder