Best catchers in the area?

Colby Hargrave - Silsbee -  Great Catcher, Team Leader, Top of the class, and just a down right good young adult.

I also agree.  Hargrave is a well rounded great person.  It has been a privilege to get to watch him and get to know him.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok fballplayer and to all you other "baseball gurus". Bases are stolen off the pitcher and not the catcher. It all depends on what pitch they are running on, how hard the pitcher throws and how quick the pitcher is to the plate etc. Massey has the luxury of having guys who throw hard and are quick to the plate whereas we all know is commanding a team full of youngsters. Am i saying that Rowell is better than Massey? no, but am I saying Massey is better than Rowell? no again. Both are legitimate defenders behind the dish and probably the best in 22-4A. Again congrats to both on their accomplishments.

ok fballplayer and to all you other "baseball gurus". Bases are stolen off the pitcher and not the catcher. It all depends on what pitch they are running on, how hard the pitcher throws and how quick the pitcher is to the plate etc. Massey has the luxury of having guys who throw hard and are quick to the plate whereas we all know is commanding a team full of youngsters. Am i saying that Rowell is better than Massey? no, but am I saying Massey is better than Rowell? no again. Both are legitimate defenders behind the dish and probably the best in 22-4A. Again congrats to both on their accomplishments.

I know that if the pitcher lets the runner get a great jump, it is very hard to throw someone out. But that isn't always the case every single time someone tries to steal a base, especially at the High School level. With this in mind, baserunners in se texas will often steal a base based on nothing more than the catcher's throw down to second in between innings. No matter if the pitcher is quick to the plate, throws 92 mph, or is consistent with a 55 mph knuckle. Just my opinion, nothing more.

once again there are many great players who play different positions in college than they do in high school.  no one in 224A saves more runs than jake rowell. is there a stat for that?  no i dont think so.  you catching gurus who keep dogging this great young man need to come watch him play.  oh yeah you do when your team plays and he may have an off night that one time.  so all of a sudden he is not a good catcher.  no one has talked bad about massey except for me i believe and i regret that but everytime jakes name comes up everyone dogs him.  what is that all about?  anyone have a problem with him can nut up and bring it because no one does a better job of leading and catching this young staff.  that is what determines a good catcher.  the average major leaguerer only throws out 20 - 30% maybe lower .now that should explain something to you experts on who is the best catcher.

You know, why do we have to dog one, to promote another...?  Going through this thread, I see a lot of "well so and so doesn't even come close to so and so"...if you want to promote your guy, fine...let us know his stats, and then we can see how many agree by posting their agreement and such.

There is no need to bring down another guy to make yours look better...

As for my vote, which of course is biased since I know him, and probably don't know the others...It goes to Jake Rowell.  Consistent behind the plate, he has to adjust to at least 4, if not more,  different pitchers styles and mannerisms.  At the plate...well...numbers speak for themselves.  Jake can break open a game with a hit at any given time.

Off the field?  Jake is a polite young man, who doesn't have a big head.  Sometimes players who are good feel that they no longer have to be polite.  Jake is one of the ones who feels that being polite and courteous is a part of his nature, and that bodes well for his future at the next level. 

alright i know this is a best catchers thread and hes not the best in the area, but does anybody think babino from warren has a chance to play at the next level? he hits about 400 in 2A, doesnt throw many people out but anyone that goes to a game can see his pitchers dont even try to give him a chance...the only one who even uses a slide step with a runner on first throws all of 55 mph with the wind at his back...hes got a great arm and is incredibly solid behind the plate, with only two passed balls or so all year...any thoughts?

You dont have to apologize for bringing up the Warren catcher. He is one of the best in the area. I havent seen any better in our district, or for that matter even the 4A/5A teams we played early. Put him on a team that has experienced pitching and he'd shine like a diamond.......Its hard to throw runners out with a 5 step jump. This year he has just been a backstop.

once again there are many great players who play different positions in college than they do in high school.  no one in 224A saves more runs than jake rowell. is there a stat for that?  no i dont think so.  you catching gurus who keep dogging this great young man need to come watch him play.  oh yeah you do when your team plays and he may have an off night that one time.  so all of a sudden he is not a good catcher.  no one has talked bad about massey except for me i believe and i regret that but everytime jakes name comes up everyone dogs him.  what is that all about?  anyone have a problem with him can nut up and bring it because no one does a better job of leading and catching this young staff.  that is what determines a good catcher.  the average major leaguerer only throws out 20 - 30% maybe lower .now that should explain something to you experts on who is the best catcher.

What the???? 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn