what three 22-4A teams will go to play-offs and why?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually look for Nederland to be much stronger on the defensive side of the ball next year.  Alot of talent is coming back plus offensive starter Chris Guiterrez is rumored to be moving to LB.  The offense will be the bigger challenge as a great deal of talent is graduating, including Mosley and most of that great OL.

OK football fans, the Coach is back. So far everyone has picked the likely teams, but I'm going to stick with my feelings and say the Hardin County guys will make a strong challenge this year for a playoff berth. Yes, last year was tough, we knew it would be, but we basically fielded a junior team against senior squads with some excellent talent. For instance, i noticed in the program book, Nederland fielded some 33 seniors against Lumberton, not to mention one of the best running backs in the state, Good Luck Micah Mosely at the next level. Dont count the Raiders out just yet!

OK football fans, the Coach is back. So far everyone has picked the likely teams, but I'm going to stick with my feelings and say the Hardin County guys will make a strong challenge this year for a playoff berth. Yes, last year was tough, we knew it would be, but we basically fielded a junior team against senior squads with some excellent talent. For instance, i noticed in the program book, Nederland fielded some 33 seniors against Lumberton, not to mention one of the best running backs in the state, Good Luck Micah Mosely at the next level. Dont count the Raiders out just yet!

Having more Seniors will definitely help or it should. I know in Daytons case we had a lot of Juniors on the field and several sophmores. Our starting QB and leading receiver were sophmores and some of the starting defense were sophmores. We were pretty young last year as well.

• 1 month later...

Dayton

District Record  7-0

49  Points allowed /  Avg. 7

269 Points scored  /  Avg. 38.42

With those stats and basically all their "weapons" back plus some more new talent, and most are not picking Dayton #1????

Dayton will EASILY be the predistrict favorite #1 in the magazines and football literature.  Only one team played them close (Central)  and that game this year will be at Bronco stadium were a sloppy wet field with 4" high sod won't be a factor.

Top three...

1.  Dayton - should win the district championship, but going undefeated two years in a row will be a very impressive accomplishment

2.  Central - On paper they should be #2.  Great athletes with great coaching.  The way they came back after being down by 2 TD's against Dayton last year was impressive.

Third is too close to call...

3A - Nederland - Should have the advantage for the third spot.

3B - PNG - If PNG gets through LCM at the Reservation then pulls out a victory the next week at Bulldog stadium...  They will be the front runners for the third spot.  Having to play Dayton in the last game will not be easy if they need a win.

3C - LCM - Can they pull off another big win against PNG?  This early district game will make or break LCM's season.  Unfortunately it is at the Reservation.

Ozen may have talent, but that won't get you anywhere if they aren't led in the right direction.

Lumberton - Not enough speed to compete with Dayton and Central, could be a sleeper given a couple of upsets.

Vidor - Not enough speed to compete with Dayton and Central, could be a sleeper given a couple of upsets.

nederland has no D1 talent? how about mosley to UNT and has everyone forgot Johnson to UT?

and my picks will be

Dayton-Talent,Speed,and flat out Good

Central-Speed..Derrick Hall is a beast

Nederland/Ozen/LC-M-Nederland will have young guys step up and yes Gutierrez is a LB now, the offense will be more of the test for them(they've even moven over to spread)Ozen has talent and with a new coach they have to be counted in...LC-M fought like heck and barely came up short, they're in the runnings

Guest Raider911

nederland has no D1 talent? how about mosley to UNT and has everyone forgot Johnson to UT?

and my picks will be

Dayton-Talent,Speed,and flat out Good

Central-Speed..Derrick Hall is a beast

Nederland/Ozen/LC-M-Nederland will have young guys step up and yes Gutierrez is a LB now, the offense will be more of the test for them(they've even moven over to spread)Ozen has talent and with a new coach they have to be counted in...LC-M fought like heck and barely came up short, they're in the runnings

How fast is Gutierrez??

Im a homer but:

1. Dayton

2. PNG

3. Nederland/Central/LCM

PNG is going to be better than expected next season. Lots of skill position players returning. If they get any O-Line help they'll be strong.

If Nederlands streak ever ends, it would have to be this season because they have a ton coming up 2 years from now. I still expect them to be good.

Havent read enough on Central/Ozen/LCM/Lumberton/Vidor to make an accurate judgement yet....

Guest 87CRU79

The reason Nederland has moved to the Spread Attack No Huddle Offense is because it fits the personel much better than the previous offensive scheme. They have a QB that can run and throw (Sampere), and also have a running back that will thrive in this system (Bass). Nederland will have a handful of decent receivers, but not one specific standout, such as a Butler, Atterberry, Askew....etc. The defensive line will be solid, and the LB's will be rock hard. As like last year, the secondary will be the only real question mark.

1. Central

2. Nederland/Dayton (It's really a battle between these two for second)

3. Dayton/Nederland/Ozen

Well last year most of the people in the triangle had us picked to finish 4th or worse, so it does not surprise me that some people this year are not picking us to repeat as district champions.  My picks for the top 3 are:

Dayton

Central

PNG

3rd place could be PNG, Nederland, LCM or Ozen

Nederland will have a handful of decent receivers, but not one specific standout, such as a Butler, Atterberry, Askew....etc.

This will be the first time in many years that Nederland doesnt have an offensive standout stud (Mosely, Butler, Yoder, Cammack, Askew, etc) player going into the season. They've always had that one superstar guy going into each season for it seems like forever. It will be interesting to see who steps up this season.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83