**SETXsports.com Week 4 Top 10**

Released By MIF04

SETEXsports.com  BASEBALL TOP TEN

WEEK 4

District play was in full swing this week and that means that half of last week’s Top Ten lost at least one game.  Welcome to district play…SETexas style.  The big winner of the week had to be the Indians from PNG, claiming two big wins to start district play (Ozen and LCM).  The big loser of the week?  Drive a few miles to Nederland where the ‘Dogs went 0-2, including a loss to Central.  And guess who plays each other Tuesday?  Nederland at PNG.   Mid-County Madness…and an absolute must win for Nederland.

There is one thing different in this week’s Top Ten…we keep the same #1 as the Bridge City Cardinals retain our top spot.  Other than that, there’s a whole lot of shakin’ going on:

1.   BRIDGE CITY (1)

The Cards escaped with a 13-11 win last Tuesday against OF, thanks to a 6 run 7th inning then smoked Kirbyville 13-2.  They host the Longhorns from  HF on Tuesday (this could be a tough game for ‘em) then travel to WOS on Friday (this shouldn’t be tough game for ‘em).   Jeff Stringer was wild as a ‘March hare’ on Tuesday but Philip Meeks returned to form vs. Kirbyville – maybe the most surprising thing this past week was that Johnny Dishon did NOT hit another HR…but he was the winning pitcher vs. OF. 

2.   BARBERS HILL (3)

The Eagles continue to play musical chairs up and down the rankings and won two ‘yawners’ this past week against Forest Brook and Crosby.  They should get challenged Tuesday when they host New Caney (4-3 winners last week against Huffman).  BH remains solid.  Their pitching depth is better than expected and they are raking the baseball offensively.  This could be a team ‘custom built’ for a surprising playoff run in their first year up in 4A.

3.   WEST BROOK (2)

Welcome to 21-5A.  The Bruins ride David Murphy’s 3-HR game to knock off powerhouse Kingwood to open district play then squander a brilliant pitching performance by Josiah Svoboda in a 1-0 loss to Atascocita.  WB continues the brutal part of their district schedule this week (their first 4 district games are all on the road) when the play at both Baytown schools…including Friday night’s headliner against district favorite Sterling.

4.   VIDOR (6)

The Pirates scored 35 runs in 2 games (although 22 of them were against hapless Lumberton)…of course, 13 were against Nederland as the Pirates opened district play with two huge wins.  Taylor Robiceaux in particular gets high marks from us for his pitching performance against Nederland.  They have two ‘better be careful’ games against Dayton and the surprising Central Jaguars but we are all itching for that next big game…Vidor vs. PNG in a couple of weeks.

5.   PNG (NR)

Speaking of the Indians, their play-up strategy seems to have been a good idea…ya think?  They blast Ozen and their ace (DD Lott) 10-0 then win an extra inning thriller against long-time rival LCM.  All Eric Harrington did along the way was win both games on the hill.  Jay Stone will get his week off with a bang, though…they host the Nederland Bulldogs who are uncharacteristically 0-2 in district play.  Beware the caged dog.

6.   JASPER (5)

Jasper just keeps doing one thing…winning.  Granted, a 6-0 win vs. WOS and 3-1 vs. HF does not evoke memories of the ’27 Yankees but it does keep them at 3-0 in district play.  It will be a pretty telling week this week for the Bulldogs as they host the Hawks from HJ before traveling south to tangle with Silsbee in what promises to be a Friday night thriller.

7.   LCM (4)

The 4-2 extra inning loss to PNG had to sting more than a little for Coach Griff and the Bears and it is doubtful that the 9-6 win vs. Central does much to take that away.  LCM spends the week on the road (Ozen and Dayton) where trouble can loom against two teams who need wins desperately. 

8.   SILSBEE (

A solid week for the Tigers, especially the 8-3 drubbing of the HJ.  Maybe the district opening loss to BC has become a distant memory?  We’ll find out when the we put a cat and a dog in the pit…Silsbee Tigers hosting Jasper Bulldogs on Friday.  Ace Joel Schooling should be getting his talented right arm ready for what promises to be that district’s “Game of the Weekâ€.

9.   HUFFMAN (9)

The Falcons took it on the chin against district foe New Caney although they did have a 14-4 rout against Galena Park.  Anything less than 2-0 this week (they’ve got also-rans Smiley and Forest Brook for opponents) would be a huge disappointment as they  sharpen their talons for the upcoming rumble with BH.

10.   BUNA (NR)

Why the Cougars?  Because 2A doesn’t get enough ‘love’ on the Board.  And because they are off to a spirited 3-0 to take the top spot in their district.  Everything else should go out the window when district play starts and, at 3-0, Buna deserves their props.  They get ‘em here with their first ever appearance in our Top Ten.

IN, OUT  AND HONORABLE MENTIONS:

The Nederland Bulldogs have completed their ‘penthouse to outhouse’ run…the were our Week 1 #1 and have now tumbled  all the way out of our Top Ten.  Hardin  Jefferson slipped in last week and then slipped out courtesy of getting drummed by Silsbee.  Congratulations to the OF Bobcats.  First, they take BC to their last out before losing an absolute heartbreaker and, second, had the heart to bounce back and win an equally thrilling 6-5 match against HF.  By the way, when will the ‘Horns ever get a break?

A great week is ahead.  West Brook @ Baytown Sterling.  Jasper hosts HJ (a must win for the Hawks) then travels to Silsbee.  And, of course, Nederland tries to right their ship the hardest way imaginable…by traveling to PNG.  Rain, rain …stay away!!!!

Until next week, ‘Play Ball’.

Once again the Three Stooges together another biased top 10.........congrats...... ??? ???

Either Bridge City is the host server for SETX or Honey-Dishon writes this ever week.   ;D ;D   Orangefield almost beat them and they get 11 runs against, WOW...seems like a # 1 for me too.  ::)

Can't wait for week-5......just about time for WOS to be in the 1 spot.

bridge city shouldnt be on top...simply because they barely pulled a win out playing orangefield that is rather pathetic. not be harsh. if im not mistaken vidor beat OF by 20

the rankings should be a little different

AMEN.......glad to see someone agrees with me. 

Critter...I am actually very much a BC fan.  They have a great team, but these ranking are more and more off-base each week....no punt intended....

Does not appear strength of schedule, runs for, runs against, pitching depth, defense, or standings have anything to do with them.  One great pitcher or one great hitter does not make a team.  If you don't have depth in pitching and offense, then your not a #1 - #5. 

JMHO   

Bh89-2 it sounds like you have a refrigerator full of sour grapes. BC deserves to be rated # 1. They have won 37 straight district games. Yes they did have a close call at Orangefield. I was there. BC looked a little lethargical but I am not trying to take anything away from OF. They played a great game and probably should have won the game. There was a pitch called a ball that I thought should have been a strike that may have changed the outcome of the game. It was in the last inning when BC was batting. Anyway it was a pitch that was too close to take IMO. The home plate umpire seemed to miss a lot of calls for both sides that night. Just about any team can beat another team on any given night. This one was close but if they played in a series against each other my money would be on BC. Please don't knock Dishon. He is a great ball player. He is one of the best at the plate and he is a pretty good pitcher. He plays center field well also. Is he the best to ever play the game? No! Is there a better high school player playing this year in his district? Some nights maybe and some nights maybe not. Will BC go undefeated in district? Who knows, but at this time they are ranked where they should be. Someone pretty much has to beat the top team before they can be knocked out of first place.

Do they make sweet grapes  ;D  ;D

I am not knocking BC or Dishon.  Both are very good.  In that district you should win 37 straight games. ;D ;D  Yes on any givin night, however in a 3-game series BC would not win 2 of 3 against West Brook or BH.  Both of whom are a lower ranked team according to SETXsports.   

Just an opinion....that's all.... ;)

I also do not think BC is the best team around.  They have played "IMO" one of the weaker schedules around.  They have however not lost.  So until they do we will just have to deal with it. It is very easy for highschool kids to get lethargic when you have won as much as BC has and really haven't played a big game yet this year.  However BH you are not even from Southeast Texas and you don't play in a Southeast Texas district so consider yourself lucky to even be mentioned on this website.  The guys running it are doing a great job.  The only mistake they have made "IMO" is including 2 teams that really aren't SETX teams.

BH is 13-3. Lost to state-ranked 5A Flower Mound by a run after leading 7-3, lost by a run to PNG ( Herrington kid pitched a very impressive game, also see where PNG is off to 2-0 district start in very tough 4A district ), and got blown out 12-0 by FT. Bend Elkins, who is currently ranked 13th among Houston area 5A teams. This morning's Houston Chronicle has BH ranked # 1 among 4A and others in Houston area. Moving BH in front of Brenham and basically giving them " the  kiss of death". :) 

Well, BC is 15-1 Losing to 5A state finalist last year Sulfur and BC also beat them once.  Run ruling or beating All other 4A teams played........Nederland, Lumberton, Ozen, and Central. "Note all other wins were against 3A District teams.  So, it's logical to keep them at the number one spot until they get beat. ;D

P.S. The Hill does have a great Baseball and Softball Fields I remember When we played ya'll last year, knocking BH out of the playoffs (sorry that slipped) ;D ;D

At the risk of doing something that SETXsports.com shouldn’t have to do, I will reply about the Top Ten and some of the criticism levied against it.

1. First, some consideration is given to how a certain school compares within its classification.  That is so that the schools from 5A down can all be ranked in one poll.  We do look at strength of schedule but, admittedly, do not keep a running total of how many runs are scored, allowed, etc.  Vidor scored 22 runs against Lumberton.  That’s great (unless you’re a Raider fan) but doesn’t tell us that much.  At what point did Lumberton ‘throw in the towel’, etc.?

2. Next, there is some consideration given to ‘who beat who’ but that is not a precise science since, here in SE Texas, we are blessed with a wealth of talented teams and a large number of teams who can beat anyone else on a given day.  One of the criticizers noted that BC barely beat OF but Vidor beat OF by 20 runs.  True, but West Brook beat Vidor by 10.  The logic is too circuitous to be used as a perfect science.

3. I am unclear exactly who the “Three Stooges†are but assume it to be a reference to BC, BH and WB.  These schools are all ranked outside of our poll and are ranked higher than any of our other schools.  That may not be an exact science, either, but at least someone agrees with us.

Since it is my lunch hour, I will press on (especially to address the “its not only 1 great pitcher or 1 great player†argument that, personally, I feel insults a lot of other very good players on our ‘ranked’ teams).

BRIDGE CITY is currently our #1 team.  They have lost 1 game all year…to Louisiana 5A Sulphur (last year’s state finalist and this year’s #6 ranked team in LA).  They also beat Sulphur once as well as Nederland and Silsbee.  No one doubts that Dishon is a great player and, most days, Stringer is a great pitcher.  But Meeks is a tested pitcher who is very effective (esp at 3A level) and the freshman Hicks has been outstanding, both as a P and SS.  And who can forget Casey Jackson, last year’s area leader in HR?  Their 2b Bolton was last year’s newcomer of the year.  This is not a 1-man team by any stretch of the imagination.  They have been to the state tourney the last 2 years in a row.  They have won 37 district games in a row.  They have lost only 1 game all year.  They are talented and deep.  Does that mean they’ll go undefeated this year in district?  I don’t think so.  Their district is very talented this year.  They were fortunate to escape OF…but, when you have their tradition and talent, things like scoring 6 runs in the 7th seem to happen.

BARBERS HILL is currently #2 although you could certainly make the argument they could be #1.  They are #1 in the Houston Area for 4A schools.  Their pitching staff has LHP Hales who has been dominant this year but also the Thamm kid has been nails for them.  Hitters like Townley and Campbell are equally exceptional.  They have quality wins against teams like West Brook and Hou Christian and their only losses are to (1) state ranked 5A Flower Mound (2) state ranked 5A Elkins and (3) PNG (2-1, in a game where the Indians threw their ace and the Eagles did not).  They lost one of their best sr. players (Barrera) and kept on ticking.  They have played as competitive a schedule as anyone (considering they are a ‘new’ 4A school) and have won. 

WEST BROOK is next at #3 but may be the most talented of all our teams, certainly in terms of position players.  They are ranked #10 in 5A for the Greater Houston area.  They have probably the biggest # of quality wins of anyone:  LC Barbe (ranked #8 nationally), Vidor, Houston Christian (twice), PNG, Kingwood, West Monroe (state ranked 5A) and DeRidder (state ranked 4A).  Their pitching may be suspect at times but Murphy beat Kingwood and Josiah Svoboda pitched exceptionally well in his first 2 outings after injury rehab.  They have 4 returning 1st team All District guys (Armstrong, Ferguson, Murphy and Serna).  Talent-wise, they are the most dangerous team in the area.  They not only play a competitive preseason schedule, they are also in one of the toughest 5A districts in the state.

VIDOR comes in at #4 and, admittedly, we could have flipped them and PNG.  The Pirates got the edge for now given their better overall record.  They have quality wins over Jasper and Nederland.  If anyone has depth, it may be the Pirates.  Except for Bunner, no one on this squad is recognized around the area as a ‘star’ yet they keep finding kids who contribute both on the mound and at the plate.  Robiceaux was outstanding this week against Nederland.  Guidry has played well for them as has Kilmer and Fontenot.  Kyle Green has ‘sold’ the team concept and, for now, its paying big dividends for them.

PNG follows at #5.  This is also a deep team with Eric Harrington and Shawn Flores as legitimate presences on the mound.  Harrington got the win in their 9 inning game vs. LCM but Flores threw the first 7, holding LCM’s lineup to 2 runs.  Jon Carnahan is a legit hitter at catcher and Drew Barnett is a dynamo at 2b for them.    Of course, Jay Stone is no slouch in the dugout, either.  They have big wins against 5A Lufkin, LCM and BH and suffer from a less that glittering overall record because they played in 3 very tough 5A tournaments.

So, there’s some extra info on this week’s top 5.  It may not be our top 5 next week.  That’s why they play the games.  And one more thing – we do the rankings to spark conversation and garner interest.  Looks like we’re stirring the pot just fine…

Vidor and PNG had better weeks than did Jasper.  That's not to knock the Bulldogs (they did go 2-0) but they beat WOS 6-0 (nothing impressive there) and HF 3-1 (ditto).  Its not so much that Jasper dropped as it was that Vidor and PNG leapfrogged 'em.

Great job MIF04..

Note on BH : Talk that I've heard is that BH made the jump to 4A  ( which I was all for ) by a count of 13 students, which at the time included the Hurricane Katrina victims ( I believe there were 37 at the time ). I've heard BH is the smallest 4A school in the state. Whether that's true or not, couldn't tell you.  

There are too many great programs in this area...There are several teams that could make the argument for the top spot. Personally, I agree...hard to argue against BC @ # 1.

Keep up the good work !

At the risk of doing something that SETXsports.com shouldn’t have to do, I will reply about the Top Ten and some of the criticism levied against it.

1. First, some consideration is given to how a certain school compares within its classification.  That is so that the schools from 5A down can all be ranked in one poll.  We do look at strength of schedule but, admittedly, do not keep a running total of how many runs are scored, allowed, etc.  Vidor scored 22 runs against Lumberton.  That’s great (unless you’re a Raider fan) but doesn’t tell us that much.  At what point did Lumberton ‘throw in the towel’, etc.?

2. Next, there is some consideration given to ‘who beat who’ but that is not a precise science since, here in SE Texas, we are blessed with a wealth of talented teams and a large number of teams who can beat anyone else on a given day.  One of the criticizers noted that BC barely beat OF but Vidor beat OF by 20 runs.  True, but West Brook beat Vidor by 10.  The logic is too circuitous to be used as a perfect science.

3. I am unclear exactly who the “Three Stooges†are but assume it to be a reference to BC, BH and WB.  These schools are all ranked outside of our poll and are ranked higher than any of our other schools.  That may not be an exact science, either, but at least someone agrees with us.

Since it is my lunch hour, I will press on (especially to address the “its not only 1 great pitcher or 1 great player†argument that, personally, I feel insults a lot of other very good players on our ‘ranked’ teams).

BRIDGE CITY is currently our #1 team.  They have lost 1 game all year…to Louisiana 5A Sulphur (last year’s state finalist and this year’s #6 ranked team in LA).  They also beat Sulphur once as well as Nederland and Silsbee.  No one doubts that Dishon is a great player and, most days, Stringer is a great pitcher.  But Meeks is a tested pitcher who is very effective (esp at 3A level) and the freshman Hicks has been outstanding, both as a P and SS.  And who can forget Casey Jackson, last year’s area leader in HR?  Their 2b Bolton was last year’s newcomer of the year.  This is not a 1-man team by any stretch of the imagination.  They have been to the state tourney the last 2 years in a row.  They have won 37 district games in a row.  They have lost only 1 game all year.  They are talented and deep.  Does that mean they’ll go undefeated this year in district?  I don’t think so.  Their district is very talented this year.  They were fortunate to escape OF…but, when you have their tradition and talent, things like scoring 6 runs in the 7th seem to happen.

BARBERS HILL is currently #2 although you could certainly make the argument they could be #1.  They are #1 in the Houston Area for 4A schools.  Their pitching staff has LHP Hales who has been dominant this year but also the Thamm kid has been nails for them.  Hitters like Townley and Campbell are equally exceptional.  They have quality wins against teams like West Brook and Hou Christian and their only losses are to (1) state ranked 5A Flower Mound (2) state ranked 5A Elkins and (3) PNG (2-1, in a game where the Indians threw their ace and the Eagles did not).  They lost one of their best sr. players (Barrera) and kept on ticking.  They have played as competitive a schedule as anyone (considering they are a ‘new’ 4A school) and have won. 

WEST BROOK is next at #3 but may be the most talented of all our teams, certainly in terms of position players.  They are ranked #10 in 5A for the Greater Houston area.  They have probably the biggest # of quality wins of anyone:  LC Barbe (ranked #8 nationally), Vidor, Houston Christian (twice), PNG, Kingwood, West Monroe (state ranked 5A) and DeRidder (state ranked 4A).  Their pitching may be suspect at times but Murphy beat Kingwood and Josiah Svoboda pitched exceptionally well in his first 2 outings after injury rehab.  They have 4 returning 1st team All District guys (Armstrong, Ferguson, Murphy and Serna).  Talent-wise, they are the most dangerous team in the area.  They not only play a competitive preseason schedule, they are also in one of the toughest 5A districts in the state.

VIDOR comes in at #4 and, admittedly, we could have flipped them and PNG.  The Pirates got the edge for now given their better overall record.  They have quality wins over Jasper and Nederland.  If anyone has depth, it may be the Pirates.  Except for Bunner, no one on this squad is recognized around the area as a ‘star’ yet they keep finding kids who contribute both on the mound and at the plate.  Robiceaux was outstanding this week against Nederland.  Guidry has played well for them as has Kilmer and Fontenot.  Kyle Green has ‘sold’ the team concept and, for now, its paying big dividends for them.

PNG follows at #5.  This is also a deep team with Eric Harrington and Shawn Flores as legitimate presences on the mound.  Harrington got the win in their 9 inning game vs. LCM but Flores threw the first 7, holding LCM’s lineup to 2 runs.  Jon Carnahan is a legit hitter at catcher and Drew Barnett is a dynamo at 2b for them.    Of course, Jay Stone is no slouch in the dugout, either.  They have big wins against 5A Lufkin, LCM and BH and suffer from a less that glittering overall record because they played in 3 very tough 5A tournaments.

So, there’s some extra info on this week’s top 5.  It may not be our top 5 next week.  That’s why they play the games.  And one more thing – we do the rankings to spark conversation and garner interest.  Looks like we’re stirring the pot just fine…

See, explaining yourself wasn't so hard after all.  ;D  I think it is very easy to boster a team you know more about, which seems to be the case with BC.  I am not knocking BC by any means and think this explination is better than arbitrarily ranking them #1 without explaining yourself(s). 

Yes, fostering conversation is fun and will certainly occurs when you consider the opinionated comments that have been printed.  Looks like Jasper is the new team to ride you in Week 5...... ;D 

On behalf of Larry, Curley and Moe.....we thank you for taking time out from your lunch. ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124