Port Neches-Groves Coach Faircloths first 100 games

prepballfan

2 hours ago, Raider24 said:

You have some valid points, but I look at it a little differently. Sometimes you have that special group come through that all get IT! The majority of that class understands what it takes to make winning happen at an earlier age! Hard work! Dedication! Weight room! Field Work! Mental Toughness! They are willing to sacrifice other things for football. They have leaders who make sure everyone is doing their part for the betterment of the team. They prioritize what it takes to be successful in football vs girls, hunting, fishing, baseball, basketball, x-box, etc. There is an expectation within the community! Failure and losing is not an option! They are not acceptable! If they are, then the coach is gone! Players lose their roles. There is a healthy competition to keep your position. When your program wins, numbers are up. There's an abundance of kids to pick from to find 22 athletic starters. When you lose, numbers are down thus it is substantially harder to find 22 athletic starters. The competition to continuously improve and fight to keep your position  goes away. Why do you think BH went out and got one of the best coaches in the state and paid him the $$$$? With him comes a tradition of winning! An expectation! Numbers grow! Families move in! Boosters make more money from concessions! Easier to find your 22 athletes! Kids now believe and put in the offseason work! They now feel they have a better chance to compete! I drove by PNG this summer and I was like damn, looks like they are having an organized practice. But, guess what? There was no coaches around! It was their LEADERS gathering everyone together for team drills. Running pass routes. Lineman doing footwork drills! It looked like around 40 - 50 kids. In comparison, in Lumberton, there might have been 8-10 doing the same thing. A few believe. But not enough putting in the work daily to make the whole team better. It takes a village! Parents doing their part in the homes to inspire and set an expectation in the home for competiveness. The community to have high expectations and to stand behind the kids! To show up to football games for the game itself and not just for the band or cheerleaders! When halftime is over, band parents and drill team parents spill out of the stadium no matter if your team is winning or losing! School board members to search and hire the right guy for their school! You get what you pay for! If its not of importance to them, then you get what you get! Coaches to set the expectations of their program and not fall into the politics of the town! Put in the work! Learn the kids and put them in the proper positions to succeed. These kids feed off of them!

I can't just lay blame on just the kids and lack of talent for this area! Everyone has a part in it! The kids, parents, School Boards, Community, and coaches have to work together! If we as an area say that we can't compete with Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, etc, we are partly to blame too! I will never tell my kid or let him hear from me that he can't compete with someone. Then that changes his work ethic and belief system. I have never and will never gripe about my son's or daughter's coaches in front of them! This changes their belief in him or her! If you want it, go freakin work you tail off for it! If you don't work your tail off, then you never wanted it! Sometimes the most talented teams don't win State Titles! Even though you think they should. Sometimes, its just the team who had the most belief in their selves to put in the work that had the coaches who put them in the proper positions to succeed who had the community support to push them over the top.

Just my opinion!

Great post!! I think it all boils down to the fact that a coach needs longevity at a school district before he can truly be successful, which means the community has to be patient and trust him. That “IT” factor that you mentioned doesn’t start in high school, it’s gotta start in Pee Wee, and should be instilled int their brains by middle school.

Thats what I love about Babin, he is trying to change the culture of the town into a winners mentality.

3 hours ago, Raider24 said:

You have some valid points, but I look at it a little differently. Sometimes you have that special group come through that all get IT! The majority of that class understands what it takes to make winning happen at an earlier age! Hard work! Dedication! Weight room! Field Work! Mental Toughness! They are willing to sacrifice other things for football. They have leaders who make sure everyone is doing their part for the betterment of the team. They prioritize what it takes to be successful in football vs girls, hunting, fishing, baseball, basketball, x-box, etc. There is an expectation within the community! Failure and losing is not an option! They are not acceptable! If they are, then the coach is gone! Players lose their roles. There is a healthy competition to keep your position. When your program wins, numbers are up. There's an abundance of kids to pick from to find 22 athletic starters. When you lose, numbers are down thus it is substantially harder to find 22 athletic starters. The competition to continuously improve and fight to keep your position  goes away. Why do you think BH went out and got one of the best coaches in the state and paid him the $$$$? With him comes a tradition of winning! An expectation! Numbers grow! Families move in! Boosters make more money from concessions! Easier to find your 22 athletes! Kids now believe and put in the offseason work! They now feel they have a better chance to compete! I drove by PNG this summer and I was like damn, looks like they are having an organized practice. But, guess what? There was no coaches around! It was their LEADERS gathering everyone together for team drills. Running pass routes. Lineman doing footwork drills! It looked like around 40 - 50 kids. In comparison, in Lumberton, there might have been 8-10 doing the same thing. A few believe. But not enough putting in the work daily to make the whole team better. It takes a village! Parents doing their part in the homes to inspire and set an expectation in the home for competiveness. The community to have high expectations and to stand behind the kids! To show up to football games for the game itself and not just for the band or cheerleaders! When halftime is over, band parents and drill team parents spill out of the stadium no matter if your team is winning or losing! School board members to search and hire the right guy for their school! You get what you pay for! If its not of importance to them, then you get what you get! Coaches to set the expectations of their program and not fall into the politics of the town! Put in the work! Learn the kids and put them in the proper positions to succeed. These kids feed off of them!

I can't just lay blame on just the kids and lack of talent for this area! Everyone has a part in it! The kids, parents, School Boards, Community, and coaches have to work together! If we as an area say that we can't compete with Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, etc, we are partly to blame too! I will never tell my kid or let him hear from me that he can't compete with someone. Then that changes his work ethic and belief system. I have never and will never gripe about my son's or daughter's coaches in front of them! This changes their belief in him or her! If you want it, go freakin work you tail off for it! If you don't work your tail off, then you never wanted it! Sometimes the most talented teams don't win State Titles! Even though you think they should. Sometimes, its just the team who had the most belief in their selves to put in the work that had the coaches who put them in the proper positions to succeed who had the community support to push them over the top.

Just my opinion!

Best post I have ever seen from a Lumberton fan. My dislike for Lumberton is because of the mentality of the town. Just as you stated. But what one needs to understand that starts from day 1. Meaning STJFL. And that, is where Lumberton starts off on the wrong foot and others don’t. I could go on and on, feel free to PM me and I will give you my thoughts. I have said it before winning at PNG is often mistaken for arrogance. That’s the furthest thing from the truth. It’s how the community has been brought up. If my kid is an athlete, he better rep the three letters with everything he has. If he is a band member, he better strive to be the best dam band player in the land. If she is a twirler, she better not drop that baton... Because in our mind... if you practice enough and want it enough, you can do it... Period. I promise you one thing. I’ll use RJ (Legend Killer) as my example. He might be the best leader on the team and he might have them kids coming out because he is a leader. But he is doing what his leader at home taught him to do. That’s how it works. Momma and daddy are accountable, so RJ is accountable. That goes for all kids, I just use him as my example. Moral victories do not exist. Because as I have said before. We are not all winners.. You either win or lose!!! Nederland is a prime example. Once the laughing stock of the district. Larry Legend came in a changed the mentality. It can be done. Just need to have the right people in place as you stated...

8 minutes ago, Stattrax said:

Best post I have ever seen from a Lumberton fan. My dislike for Lumberton is because of the mentality of the town. Just as you stated. But what one needs to understand that starts from day 1. Meaning STJFL. And that, is where Lumberton starts off on the wrong foot and others don’t. I could go on and on, feel free to PM me and I will give you my thoughts. I have said it before winning at PNG is often mistaken for arrogance. That’s the furthest thing from the truth. It’s how the community has been brought up. If my kid is an athlete, he better rep the three letters with everything he has. If he is a band member, he better strive to be the best dam band player in the land. If she is a twirler, she better not drop that baton... Because in our mind... if you practice enough and want it enough, you can do it... Period. I promise you one thing. I’ll use RJ (Legend Killer) as my example. He might be the best leader on the team and he might have them kids coming out because he is a leader. But he is doing what his leader at home taught him to do. That’s how it works. Momma and daddy are accountable, so RJ is accountable. That goes for all kids, I just use him as my example. Moral victories do not exist. Because as I have said before. We are not all winners.. You either win or lose!!! Nederland is a prime example. Once the laughing stock of the district. Larry Legend came in a changed the mentality. It can be done. Just need to have the right people in place as you stated...

See my post right above yours, we seem to have the same thinking on the culture of Lumberton. Not something I’m proud of, but something I can see changing as long as we hang on to who we got.