Should Home School Kids be Able to Participate in School Sports

Hagar

16 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I'm paying plenty of attention.  Do you really think that the state could ever legislate who plays and how much they play?  What if there are 6 home shool kids in the basketball program.  You trying to tell me that it's possible for the state to make it to where the varsity coach has to put all 6 on his/her varsity roster and let all 6 of them be a starter?..

Bottom line.  High school coaches can squash this.  I guarantee it.

The Legislature can do whatever they want...guess what....if it passes them and gets signed by the governor....it is LAW, and nothing you, me, or anyone else thinks about it matters.......

29 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

They most certainly are NOT paying for it.  School taxes pay for the education.  Being a member of the athletic program is a privilege.  There are even students enrolled in public schools that can be kicked out of athletics and denied getting back in.

Yes, they are paying for it.

58 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

33 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Yes, they are paying for it.

Um.  NO.  Nobody is paying for the guarantee of being in athletics.  Paying local taxes to the school guarantees your child and education provided by the school.  The Athletic Director at the school does NOT have to let your child be involved in the athletic program.  In fact, athletic directors kick kids out of athletics every year and all over this state for various reasons.  Extracurricular activities are privileges available to the students that are enrolled in the school.  They can also be taken away from certain students at any time.  Behavior, failing, whatever..  Just because you pay taxes to a school doesn't mean that your student is "paying" to be in athletics, band, academic UIL, or anything else. 

37 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

The Legislature can do whatever they want...guess what....if it passes them and gets signed by the governor....it is LAW, and nothing you, me, or anyone else thinks about it matters.......

And you are obviously not following what I'm saying.  The Legislature can pass a bill into law saying that homeschooled students are allowed to play sports for a public school.  Yes.  I know that.  But THE COACH decides who actually is a varsity player and how much playing time a kid gets.  The Legislature CAN NOT tell a coach who comes off of the bench.  And like I said...if a homeschooled student missed any single thing that the rest of the team did (including athletics class), then they would NEVER come off of the bench.  If I were coaching, I mean.

Oldschool, you are not following my hypothetical....the legislature could, if they get enough crybaby libtards, pass a LAW saying that everyone has to play x minutes in every game........The COACH has no more say so in it at all should that ever happen....with the way society is going, I'm not going to say that it will never happen..........

5 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Oldschool, you are not following my hypothetical....the legislature could, if they get enough crybaby libtards, pass a LAW saying that everyone has to play x minutes in every game........The COACH has no more say so in it at all should that ever happen....with the way society is going, I'm not going to say that it will never happen..........

So if that were to happen then the coach could very easily put the homeschooled kid on the sub-varsity team.  And then play the kid the exact minimum required.  Hypothetically. 

I see what you're saying and I agree that society is heading toward the crapper...but I'm pretty confident in saying that playing time is a power that will never be taken away from public school coaches.  That would be the true end to sports competition.  Not gonna happen.

18 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Um.  NO.  Nobody is paying for the guarantee of being in athletics.  Paying local taxes to the school guarantees your child and education provided by the school.  The Athletic Director at the school does NOT have to let your child be involved in the athletic program.  In fact, athletic directors kick kids out of athletics every year and all over this state for various reasons.  Extracurricular activities are privileges available to the students that are enrolled in the school.  They can also be taken away from certain students at any time.  Behavior, failing, whatever..  Just because you pay taxes to a school doesn't mean that your student is "paying" to be in athletics, band, academic UIL, or anything else. 

And you are obviously not following what I'm saying.  The Legislature can pass a bill into law saying that homeschooled students are allowed to play sports for a public school.  Yes.  I know that.  But THE COACH decides who actually is a varsity player and how much playing time a kid gets.  The Legislature CAN NOT tell a coach who comes off of the bench.  And like I said...if a homeschooled student missed any single thing that the rest of the team did (including athletics class), then they would NEVER come off of the bench.  If I were coaching, I mean.

Yep, they can kick them out if they do something wrong...they can't simply decide to not allow them into athletics because they don't want to extend them the privilege.

It's the kid's privilege to lose.

4 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Yep, they can kick them out if they do something wrong...they can't simply decide to not allow them into athletics because they don't want to extend them the privilege.

It's the kid's privilege to lose.

That just proves my point that it isn't something that's paid for.  If a kid can be removed from it, despite paying school taxes, then it isn't a right.

Math class, on the other hand, HAS to be provided to your child if you are paying school taxes and your child is enrolled in the school.  Doing something wrong won't permanently get you removed from math class.  May get you removed from the campus if you get in enough trouble...but mathematics still has to be provided as long as you are a student of the school district.

15 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I see what you're saying and I agree that society is heading toward the crapper...but I'm pretty confident in saying that playing time is a power that will never be taken away from public school coaches.  That would be the true end to sports competition.  Not gonna happen.

You have more faith in the politicians than I do, then......lol......

4 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

That just proves my point that it isn't something that's paid for.  If a kid can be removed from it, despite paying school taxes, then it isn't a right.

Math class, on the other hand, HAS to be provided to your child if you are paying school taxes and your child is enrolled in the school.  Doing something wrong won't permanently get you removed from math class.  May get you removed from the campus if you get in enough trouble...but mathematics still has to be provided as long as you are a student of the school district.

So can you get expelled?

3 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

You have more faith in the politicians than I do, then......lol......

It has nothing to do with faith in the politicians.  I have 100% faith in the people that this would effect.  First...imagine the pushback from coaches if the state started telling them who to play and how much to play them

Then...imagine the reaction of parents.  If my kid has to miss out on playing team or if the team suffers because someone else's kid has to play.  Even though they aren't good enough to play.

Yeah.  That's where my faith lies.

16 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Yes, of course.  But an education still has to be provided.  It's already a law to not deny a child the right to an education.  Even prisoners can get educated. 

Earlier you said, "If a kid can be removed from it, despite paying school taxes, then it isn't a right."

12 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

It has nothing to do with faith in the politicians.  I have 100% faith in the people that this would effect.  First...imagine the pushback from coaches if the state started telling them who to play and how much to play them

Then...imagine the reaction of parents.  If my kid has to miss out on playing team or if the team suffers because someone else's kid has to play.  Even though they aren't good enough to play.

Yeah.  That's where my faith lies.

You are more naive than I thought, then........

On April 7, 2017 at 2:16 PM, LumRaiderFan said:

And if the coach has a home schooled stud, he'll play...and you know it.

I'd bet if a home school kid of Tim Tebows talent came to play and attended all practices, meetings, and athletic period, he'd play for virtually any coach.  And regardless of a coaches personal feelings, if the kid is judged to be a Senior, he can't play JV ball, can he?  

Actually, I don't think you'd ever see many doing it anyway.  But let a kid that's 6'3" tall weighing 220 lbs that can run a 4.5, and bench 400# walk in, and who's not going to want to give him a shot?

On 4/8/2017 at 10:32 PM, LumRaiderFan said:

No answer, oldschool?

Answer to what?.. Yes, I said that.  It's not a right if it can be taken away.  And when athletics, band, or UIL is taken away from a kid their parents have to still pay the school taxes.  So again...paying taxes does not mean you're paying for the right to be an athlete.

On 4/9/2017 at 0:18 AM, REBgp said:

I'd bet if a home school kid of Tim Tebows talent came to play and attended all practices, meetings, and athletic period, he'd play for virtually any coach.  And regardless of a coaches personal feelings, if the kid is judged to be a Senior, he can't play JV ball, can he?  

Actually, I don't think you'd ever see many doing it anyway.  But let a kid that's 6'3" tall weighing 220 lbs that can run a 4.5, and bench 400# walk in, and who's not going to want to give him a shot?

Yes, seniors can play JV ball.  

31 minutes ago, Ty Cobb said:

Yes, seniors can play JV ball.  

Well slap me upside the head with a slab of bacon.  I've been fed some false information.  Wish I could say it was the first time lol.  Thanks for the info TC.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, LumRaiderFan said:

Devil's advocate...if I home school my kids and can't participate in any public school activities, should I be able to be exempted from paying school taxes?

No and example why:

A 60 year old couple retires and moves to a community.  They have no kids in the district, but they must pay school taxes.  These taxes are a responsibility of the entire community, not just those who have kids attending the school.

and I would like to add this.....

No. Home school kids should not be allowed to play due to fact they are not there to go through to tough athletic period where the teams success is built.