Silsbee 95 Woodlands College Park 100/FINAL

1 hour ago, Kountzer said:

Silsbee is a talented team.  They have a rare opportunity to do something very special this season.  Still, this team has a lot of negatives, like poor free throw shooting, streaky outside shooting, allowing circumstances & the refs to take you out of the game, etc.  They should be able to handle district.  Still they have to play the games.  In the playoffs though, if one or more of those negatives show up in the game, and their opponent is motivated & gets on a roll, they can get sent home.   Hopefully this doesn't happen.

There is one particular player in general that needs to get better at shooting the long ball to stretch the defense and play better on the ball defense to make them a complete player.  Yes already very good on offense.  There's also a player on the bench that needs more playing time, especially in the playoffs when you'll need better defense than better offense.  

Bruce Newton is a excellent defender. The only issue is he gets a lot of technical fouls which hurts his team. I'd like to see Devon McCain score more as well. He is a very special player as well as Adams and Harris. Jones is a monster down low and Barnes and Mike McCain can work those boards. Let's go Tigers. 16-0 the rest of the way wins state!!! 

Silsbee has one of the best  teams in the state regardless of classification. I've watched these kids play together since they were 6-7 year old boy's (with the exception of the two sr transfers) and they've always been special and will play up to what ever level of competition they face. They have got to play disciplined basketball on the court and trust each other like they always have. Learn to leave the arguing with officials to the coaches and they will be just fine. I do look for coach Sig to tighten the reins on them from here on out just to reassure them that he's in control.

49 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Bruce Newton is a excellent defender. The only issue is he gets a lot of technical fouls which hurts his team. I'd like to see Devon McCain score more as well. He is a very special player as well as Adams and Harris. Jones is a monster down low and Barnes and Mike McCain can work those boards. Let's go Tigers. 16-0 the rest of the way wins state!!! 

Actually it's 18-0 will win state.

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

There is one particular player in general that needs to get better at shooting the long ball to stretch the defense and play better on the ball defense to make them a complete player.  Yes already very good on offense.  There's also a player on the bench that needs more playing time, especially in the playoffs when you'll need better defense than better offense.  

Hmmmmmm...... does this classify as a rant thrown down from the stands by "one of those fans"?

3 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Hmmmmmm...... does this classify as a rant thrown down from the stands by "one of those fans"?

No, not at all.  That was an observation.  Silsbee will breeze through district and breeze through a majority of their games in the playoffs.  No need to rant with this time.  

Nice try though.  *Wink*

2 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

No, not at all.  That was an observation.  Silsbee will breeze through district and breeze through a majority of their games in the playoffs.  No need to rant with this time.  

Nice try though.  *Wink*

Couldn't some of those "rants" you spoke of be considered "observations"?

8 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Couldn't some of those "rants" you spoke of be considered "observations"?

Nope...  When some fire the coach rants and he's in over his head and other ridiculous stuff like we're going to miss the playoffs, and the best one is 'they need to pass the ball because the wrong one is running the ball'.  Sounds like rants from numbskulls to me...

11 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Nope...  When some fire the coach rants and he's in over his head and other ridiculous stuff like we're going to miss the playoffs, and the best one is 'they need to pass the ball because the wrong one is running the ball'.  Sounds like rants from numbskulls to me...

I agree

23 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

And I'm willing to bet that losing a close game that they should have won to a team that would go on to win state still has not shut them up.

I hope, for his sake, that he can make good things happen this year.... but that's for another forum

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

I am sure I know who you are thinking of and he is working on that shot was 1 for 2 or 3 yesterday.  If he gets that down it will be scary.  As far as defense, he spent a pretty good bit of the second half on grimes and had some fans upset when he wasn't on him. Grimes did most of his wrk in that sevond quarter and I don't think it would have mattered who was on him.  The way he shot the ball that quarter i don't know if any high schooler would have slowed him down much.  Several of those shots were with hands right in his face.  

As far as defensive players, we also saw some hints of that in the second half as we saw some log stretches with Bush, Lil C and Newton, along with 2 of the 3 from Harris, Devon and Adams. And that group was a major if not the reason we got back in it.

33 minutes ago, ST413 said:

I am sure I know who you are thinking of and he is working on that shot was 1 for 2 or 3 yesterday.  If he gets that down it will be scary.  As far as defense, he spent a pretty good bit of the second half on grimes and had some fans upset when he wasn't on him. Grimes did most of his wrk in that sevond quarter and I don't think it would have mattered who was on him.  The way he shot the ball that quarter i don't know if any high schooler would have slowed him down much.  Several of those shots were with hands right in his face.  

As far as defensive players, we also saw some hints of that in the second half as we saw some log stretches with Bush, Lil C and Newton, along with 2 of the 3 from Harris, Devon and Adams. And that group was a major if not the reason we got back in it.

Good...  And I agree..  scarey is the word.  

And I'm glad that you understood my post without having to name individuals.  

There is plenty time to the playoffs.  Plenty of time to get that 3ball down and plenty of times for incorporate that playing in some with that first team for defensive purposes..

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Good...  And I agree..  scarey is the word.  

And I'm glad that you understood my post without having to name individuals.  

There is plenty time to the playoffs.  Plenty of time to get that 3ball down and plenty of times for incorporate that playing in some with that first team for defensive purposes..

Wonder what game some people if you think everyone on second unit is just for defense smdh 

53 minutes ago, kingjames said:

Wonder what game some people if you think everyone on second unit is just for defense smdh 

Not just for defense but you have 2 or 3 of the better pressure and on ball defenders in that unit.  One of which is a good offensive threat as well. But much of that groups offense comes from their speed and defense,  where that starting group has more of your big scoring threats.  Now don't think I am knocking either group in either way,  we have seen several players this year with 15 or more points and that first group does a pretty good job creating scores from defense as well.

1 hour ago, ST413 said:

Not just for defense but you have 2 or 3 of the better pressure and on ball defenders in that unit.  One of which is a good offensive threat as well. But much of that groups offense comes from their speed and defense,  where that starting group has more of your big scoring threats.  Now don't think I am knocking either group in either way,  we have seen several players this year with 15 or more points and that first group does a pretty good job creating scores from defense as well.

My thoughts exactly...

14 hours ago, BADSANTA said:

Silsbee needs to be thankful for the transfers because we would not have been good as I first thought. You have Bush that plays bigger then his size can score and defend and handles the ball and is very smart with it. Tyler brings an edge on defense and senior leadership and is getting into basketball shape. Jones is playing well didn't realize he is as good of a player as he is. Tyler and Bush would start just about anywhere else with what they bring and IMO Bush is putting pressure on coaching staff now. I told people when his parents made it known that he would be coming back to silsbee that he was the real deal and he is playing like it.

On 1/8/2017 at 10:14 PM, ST413 said:

Definitely!  Was hitting shots with guys doing all they could. I made the comment a couple times that there was just nothing else we could do to defend him.  That second quarter was amazing. He definitely has skills and jumping ability.  And he knew how to hit the open guy.

Pretty much how we felt when they beat us by 10. No matter what we tried (against him) he still produced.