Vidor's All Time Rusher Haylon Leckelt

robanadana

I've been watching this kid since junior high and just wanted to do a little shout out to the greatest rusher in Pirate history, Haylon Leckelt. Haylon's been a four year starter with the Pirates, playing both running back and an occasional spot on the defense. Quoting the Vidor Vidorian:

"On the following play Haylon Leckelt got the call and gained 16 yards and a spot in the record book as he became the Pirates' all time rusher with 4494 career rushing yards, 14 over the previous record of 4478 yards held by Tim Hagler since 1982. Calling a timeout, players and coaches rushed the field to congratulate Leckelt on his record breaking accomplishment."

Enough said. Thank you Haylon for all the memorable plays over your career with the Pirates!! Good luck in the future and we all hope to see you get four more years running with the football for someone on Saturdays.

That's such an outstanding accomplishment.  I expect him to extend that record over the remainder of the season.  And Tim Hagler was one of the best running backs I actually saw play in my many years of watching HS football.

Congratulations Haylon.

19 hours ago, robanadana said:

I've been watching this kid since junior high and just wanted to do a little shout out to the greatest rusher in Pirate history, Haylon Leckelt. Haylon's been a four year starter with the Pirates, playing both running back and an occasional spot on the defense. Quoting the Vidor Vidorian:

"On the following play Haylon Leckelt got the call and gained 16 yards and a spot in the record book as he became the Pirates' all time rusher with 4494 career rushing yards, 14 over the previous record of 4478 yards held by Tim Hagler since 1982. Calling a timeout, players and coaches rushed the field to congratulate Leckelt on his record breaking accomplishment."

Enough said. Thank you Haylon for all the memorable plays over your career with the Pirates!! Good luck in the future and we all hope to see you get four more years running with the football for someone on Saturdays.

am i reading this wrong?  he already had the record before the 14 yard run.  

19 hours ago, robanadana said:

As stated above, I'm a big Tim Hagler admirer, but as I remember, Tim ran out of the "I" formation and got most of the carries.  In the Slot T, the ball is spread around more.  Even adds to how impressive the record breaking performance is.

Rob, wish you could get his average per carry.  Think that would be an eye opener.

Did find it for the year, 9.74.  Wouldn't doubt his career avg would be a hair better.

1 hour ago, robanadana said:

4494 career yards is what he finished the game with. Jeff pulled the starters at half. The 16 yd. gain put him over the mark. He ran the ball once more if you read the rest of the article.

I was there, he did not have another carry. He came out after that carry, the others at the half. 

5 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I think the "14" and "16" in the original post were reversed (based upon a subsequent post).

Yeah, regardless whether the Vidorian got the numbers right, the intent was there to honor a good kid. I left at the end of the 1st quarter (21 -  0) to go see New Caney / Barbers Hill having forgotten Haylon was going to break the record that night. Still kicking myself for that....

On 10/27/2016 at 8:59 PM, robanadana said:

Great job . Kudos earned !