2016 Hoopsgiving Classic/TODAY, updates

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Ok, was just told the last comment was made by my FB friend when discussing GLV.  Wasn't about either of the two teams playing at the time. 

Ok that makes sense. And yes tonight that second group did give up ground.  We were much better in the second half with the "normal" type substitutions.  I think we can still have fresh legs either style.  One big difference in those first two groups tonight(not getting into individual talent) was length.  That first 5 was I believe as tall no lengthy as we can get.  Add having Devon out there playing like he did tonight and it makes a big difference.  Now the thing that will happen if he keeps those groups like that is once that second group gets out there, there is more speed overall and maybe the two best on ball defenders in Newton and C. Tyler on the court.  So the pressure should pick up even more.  I am not going to argue with either way Coach rotates players.  And I am not sure which I personally would prefer.  I did kind of like how he used the 5 for 5 approach in the first half and the switched in the second.  That second group tonight also had a couple of players playing their first varsity game.  

2 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Disclaimer.  I did not see any games before the Silsbee game but I've seen Bellaire and they beat LaMarque today.  Silsbee would be a double digit favorite over Bellaire.  

I saw Silsbee lite beat Bellaire this time last year.  Bellaire looked very similar.  They had #1, their star guard, doing damage.  They also had the big guy, # 55 clogging up the middle.  If Silsbee handled them last year, they could do it again.

Lamarque looked good.  They should make a lot of noise in the 3A playoffs.

8 hours ago, ST413 said:

Tigers played 2 groups that qtr second group was Martin, Bush, M. McCain, Newton, and C. Tyler.  Ones I know on the bench were A. Thomas, C. Thomas, Bass, L. Tyler, J. Jones  We also have a number 44 not sure who he is,

Was told that last player was Jaquan Gilliam.

4 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Ok that makes sense. And yes tonight that second group did give up ground.  We were much better in the second half with the "normal" type substitutions.  I think we can still have fresh legs either style.  One big difference in those first two groups tonight(not getting into individual talent) was length.  That first 5 was I believe as tall no lengthy as we can get.  Add having Devon out there playing like he did tonight and it makes a big difference.  Now the thing that will happen if he keeps those groups like that is once that second group gets out there, there is more speed overall and maybe the two best on ball defenders in Newton and C. Tyler on the court.  So the pressure should pick up even more. I am not going to argue with either way Coach rotates players.  And I am not sure which I personally would prefer.  I did kind of like how he used the 5 for 5 approach in the first half and the switched in the second.  That second group tonight also had a couple of players playing their first varsity game.  

Me either.  I've said several times it no easy task managing that kind of depth and Sigler does as well doing it as I have seen.  He does mix it up while doing it (like tonight) and doesn't necessarily play even minutes (which i also like).  

By the way, to clarify, the discussion I missed about GLV wasn't that they had too many good players.  Apparently someone was saying they have too many kids who need the ball in their hands to be effective.  Having watched their second game against VP I can see what they were talking about.  And that's not an uncommon problem at all levels.  Which brings me back to Silsbee and maybe their most impressive trait as a team - everyone seems to know and accept their role.  And again, to me, that's no small credit to their coaching...

7 minutes ago, Kountzer said:

I saw Silsbee lite beat Bellaire this time last year.  Bellaire looked very similar.  They had #1, their star guard, doing damage.  They also had the big guy, # 55 clogging up the middle.  If Silsbee handled them last year, they could do it again.

Lamarque looked good.  They should make a lot of noise in the 3A playoffs.

Yes, Max Evans (#1) is a Vanderbilt signee and has gotten off to a monster start.  He was probably the 2nd best player in the gym today behind Jarred Vanderbilt (who won't sign with Vanderbilt ironically).  But I agree, they don't have near enough depth to compete with Silsbee.  I don't know that they would beat Houston Christian for that matter. 

I've met the coach at Houston BT Washington. but his name escapes me.  He comes to the office from time to time.  Anyway, he told me to watch out for # 2, Vanderbilt.  He says Jared Vanderbilt is the # 1 player in the nation.  I don't know if that was hype or not, but JV did make some impressive plays.

I should of stayed & got my $10.00 dollars worth, and watched the Atascocita game, and later Yates.  I plan to see Silsbee  play Westbury Christian at St Thomas Saturday.  That should be a good game.

Edited by Kountzer

1 hour ago, Kountzer said:

I've met the coach at Houston BT Washington. but his name escapes me.  He comes to the office from time to time.  Anyway, he told me to watch out for # 2, Vanderbilt.  He says Jared Vanderbilt is the # 1 player in the nation.  I don't know if that was hype or not, but JV did make some impressive plays.

I should of stayed & got my $10.00 dollars worth, and watched the Atascocita game, and later Yates.  I plan to see Silsbee  play Westbury Christian at St Thomas Saturday.  That should be a good game.

Vanderbilt previously was his sophomore year. He is closer to 15-20 in most rankings. He is a fantastic player though. He does it all on the court. 

7 hours ago, ccsbasketballplayer said:

Vanderbilt previously was his sophomore year. He is closer to 15-20 in most rankings. He is a fantastic player though. He does it all on the court. 

Yeah he was top 10ish in most before missing all the time with injuries.  I didn't know he was ever #1.  The kid that is, DeAndre Ayton, is a legit 7 footer (with a grown man build) who does it all.  Read somewhere before last season that he would be the #1 pick in the draft that year if he could come out.