Strong close to losing Job??

D3zii

8 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Meh, I have a couple of good friends who are Buckeyes.  Even they think Herbstreit is a joke. I thought the only people interested in his opinions have lady parts . i guess add men who aren't familiar with lady parts...

Herbie being a Buckeye and he still cannot get over Longhorns last trip to Columbus.

horns up and Hookem

24 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Meh, I have a couple of good friends who are Buckeyes.  Even they think Herbstreit is a joke. I thought the only people interested in his opinions have lady parts . i guess add men who aren't familiar with lady parts...

Everyone has an opinion, but even if they do think he's a joke he still was on a national broadcast going in on the Texas program 

Here's a serious question.  If instead of Vance Bedford, Strong had gone the HS route (like with Traylor) and hired Cornel Thompson (not that he would want to at this stage in his life), would Texas' defense be better?  We have debated this and have a consensus but curious of others' thoughts.  (And we realize it's a total hypothetical and HS coaches don't start out as coordinators, etc.). But Cornel has been an elite defensive mind in the HS ranks for going on 40 years so I don't think the debate is preposterous. 

29 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Here's a serious question.  If instead of Vance Bedford, Strong had gone the HS route (like with Traylor) and hired Cornel Thompson (not that he would want to at this stage in his life), would Texas' defense be better?  We have debated this and have a consensus but curious of others' thoughts.  (And we realize it's a total hypothetical and HS coaches don't start out as coordinators, etc.). But Cornel has been an elite defensive mind in the HS ranks for going on 40 years so I don't think the debate is preposterous. 

I think they key for Strong was to find A DC known for stopping the spread offense uptempo offense since that's what you get in the Big12..

1 hour ago, PhatMack19 said:

One phone call I would make would be to Chip Kelly.  San Fran sucks, add in all of the Kapernick drama and I'm sure he would take that call.  

Herman is the hot name but from a resume standpoint, his is worse than Charlie's before he was hired.  

I sent your number to AD Perrin!

I am sure he will base his decision on Aggy thought process.

horns up and Hookem

7 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

One phone call I would make would be to Chip Kelly.  San Fran sucks, add in all of the Kapernick drama and I'm sure he would take that call.  

Herman is the hot name but from a resume standpoint, his is worse than Charlie's before he was hired.  

Wasn't Kelly on a Show Cause by the NCAA? If so, we won't hire someone with that on their record.

And people keep saying that about Herman, but all I see is he went 12-1 his FIRST year and beat OU when we couldn't.

1 minute ago, Whoopi Goldberg's Lips said:

Wasn't Kelly on a Show Cause by the NCAA? If so, we won't hire someone with that on their record.

And people keep saying that about Herman, but all I see is he went 12-1 his FIRST year and beat OU when we couldn't.

He has to take 4 seasons and almost win a couple of AAC titles before his resume is ready

8 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

This is the type of candidate Aggy pursues. 

Not Texas

Hookem

Interesting comparison between the records of Strong and Herman:

This is the hidden content, please

Coach A
Won 14 of his last 15 games with a powerhouse of a team that he spent four years building up himself.
The one loss came to a team led by an NFL franchise-building block quarterback that finished the year 12-1 with a BCS-level bowl win.
During the stretch, the two-time conference coach of the year's team won a BCS-level bowl game over a tremendous team from Florida that came really, really close to playing for the national title, and it won another big bowl game against another good team from Florida. Both bowl wins were by double digits.
Along the way were three wins over Power 5 conference teams. In his final season, his team was No. 1 in the nation in total defense, No. 1 in rushing defense, No. 3 in passing efficiency, and No. 2 in turnover margin.

Coach B
Won 18 of his first 19 games as a head coach with, mostly, someone else's players.
The one loss came to a mediocre team that finished with a losing record.
During the stretch, Coach B's bowl win came against a team from Florida that was very good, but not quite the killer it was supposed to be. However, this year it came up with a dominant performance over a preseason top five team.
Along the way there were four wins over Power 5 conference teams. In his breakthrough year, his team finished 53rd in the nation in total defense, 115th in pass defense, and 29th in the nation in total offense.

So, really, based on resume, why is Coach B Tom Herman seen as a slam-dunk, superstar genius, next-level head coach, while Coach A Charlie Strong didn't get the same love when he was brought on?

11 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

Interesting comparison between the records of Strong and Herman:

This is the hidden content, please

Coach A
Won 14 of his last 15 games with a powerhouse of a team that he spent four years building up himself.
The one loss came to a team led by an NFL franchise-building block quarterback that finished the year 12-1 with a BCS-level bowl win.
During the stretch, the two-time conference coach of the year's team won a BCS-level bowl game over a tremendous team from Florida that came really, really close to playing for the national title, and it won another big bowl game against another good team from Florida. Both bowl wins were by double digits.
Along the way were three wins over Power 5 conference teams. In his final season, his team was No. 1 in the nation in total defense, No. 1 in rushing defense, No. 3 in passing efficiency, and No. 2 in turnover margin.

Coach B
Won 18 of his first 19 games as a head coach with, mostly, someone else's players.
The one loss came to a mediocre team that finished with a losing record.
During the stretch, Coach B's bowl win came against a team from Florida that was very good, but not quite the killer it was supposed to be. However, this year it came up with a dominant performance over a preseason top five team.
Along the way there were four wins over Power 5 conference teams. In his breakthrough year, his team finished 53rd in the nation in total defense, 115th in pass defense, and 29th in the nation in total offense.

So, really, based on resume, why is Coach B Tom Herman seen as a slam-dunk, superstar genius, next-level head coach, while Coach A Charlie Strong didn't get the same love when he was brought on?

Because he's proven that he can slow down spread offenses and Levine went 8-5 with the same team two years in a row. We're hedging our bets he can do the same here. What else can we do? We're in a tight spot...