Week 7 #5 The Woodlands (5-0) vs West Brook (6-0)

For WB fans who want to know.....The Lufkin game last week was the most points given up by a Highlander team in two years.  Leading up to the Lufkin game the average score given up by the defense was 10 points, while the offense scored 31.5.  Those totals changed to 38 ppg offense and 16 ppg defense after the Lufkin game.  Katy's running back Glass averaged 230 yards per game in the Westlake and Klein Collins games and ran for 66 on 23 carries against the Highlanders.  No team has been able to run on the Highlanders this year.  If WB is going to beat the Highlanders it will be with their passing game.  

The strength for the Highlanders offense will be the OL at just under 300lb average for the five linemen, the qb who has twice thrown for 6 tds and the 4 starting wide receivers.  #6 is the district 100 meter champion and can fly, the other three are not far behind him.

I'd love to hear more about the WB team, best players, etc.

Awesome to see a great start for a young team this season, didnt expect it and nows the time to make a statement in this district, The Woodlands  have a solid team all the way around and should win. i dont want to count out my bruins at home who have alot of momentum and a young qb that can run this style offense for the bruins.(best in 5 years)..lets hope that it translates to a good game, cause anything can happen on friday night! 

Go Bruins!!

20 hours ago, TXFBfan said:

The Defense is considered the strength of the team, the Offense a work in progress.  One could argue the work in progress did well with 63 against Lufkin, but that has been the exception.  The Defense has carried The Woodlands this season and last season.

Yea, but Lufkin was still scoring like hotcakes.  Looks like they passed the ball, still moved the ball with ease...  West Brook has a kid that's thrown for about 70 completions and completed over 50% of his passes and have only thrown 1 interception.  If The Woodlands has a weakness, then this is it.  I think WB will score points...  And WB has a better defense than Lufkin...   Not saying that it'll be enough to stop TW's offense, but it'll be interesting...

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Yea, but Lufkin was still scoring like hotcakes.  Looks like they passed the ball, still moved the ball with ease...  West Brook has a kid that's thrown for about 70 completions and completed over 50% of his passes and have only thrown 1 interception.  If The Woodlands has a weakness, then this is it.  I think WB will score points...  And WB has a better defense than Lufkin...   Not saying that it'll be enough to stop TW's offense, but it'll be interesting...

That's because we have a talented offense. Y'all don't have the weapons that we have. We have experience at the Qb position and also very talented receivers. Our Qb had 19 TD passes and 4 TD runs before the Woodlands game and we played against tougher competition than  West Brook this season imo. Not sure y'all have a better defense either. If you go by common opponents, y'all gave up more points to College Park than we did. I don't see West Brook scoring that many points in this one. Again, I don't believe they have a offense that can do it. We'll see tomorrow though..

22 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

That's because we have a talented offense. Y'all don't have the weapons that we have. We have experience at the Qb position and also very talented receivers. Our Qb had 19 TD passes and 4 TD runs before the Woodlands game and we played against tougher competition than  West Brook this season imo. Not sure y'all have a better defense either. If you go by common opponents, y'all gave up more points to College Park than we did. I don't see West Brook scoring that many points in this one. Again, I don't believe they have a offense that can do it. We'll see tomorrow though..

My take away from the Lufkin game was wow that qb was good and so were the receivers.  I don't think many teams have that kind of talent and like I said they were the highest scoring team on the Highlanders in the last two years.  I went to the sub varsity tonight.  BWB had some success with the passes similar to Lufkin.  Their receivers seemed very quick compared to the Highlander db's.  But,in the end the Highlanders were too deep.  The Highlanders were able to get great pressure with turnovers in both games.  The B team game was 42-0, the A team game was 28-12 as I recall, but I could be a little off on the A game.  I was really impressed with especially the A team qb for BWB.

33 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

Y'all offense only goes as far as your qb goes.  He dictates that offense.  And it's safe to assume he had a good game.  But West Brook is a little more well rounded.  It'll be hard to run on TW, but WB will have better success than Lufkin did, for whatever that's worth...

And you can't judge teams off of performances against the potential cellar dweller team.  College Park won't win a game this year...

8 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Y'all offense only goes as far as your qb goes.  He dictates that offense.  And it's safe to assume he had a good game.  But West Brook is a little more well rounded.  It'll be hard to run on TW, but WB will have better success than Lufkin did, for whatever that's worth...

And you can't judge teams off of performances against the potential cellar dweller team.  College Park won't win a game this year...

You do know our starting running back got injured in that game and didn't play in the second half right? Not sure why you're saying that about our Qb either. You can say that about most spread offenses that have a very good Qb. You could've said that about Kyler Murray at Allen. Not sure what's your point. I rather have him, then not have him. He can change a game. Maybe Wb will see that when they travel to Abe next week. You say Wb is more well rounded. I've already asked this question on the 6A forum, but how do you know how good Wb really is? They haven't played anyone. Montgomery barely beat Conroe tonight 43-39. That TAPPs school is 2-4. Central is what 2-3? Playing against average or bad teams can make you look better than you really are. Just my opinion though..

3 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

You do know our starting running back got injured in that game and didn't play in the second half right? Not sure why you're saying that about our Qb either. You can say that about most spread offenses that have a very good Qb. You could've said that about Kyler Murray at Allen. Not sure what's your point. I rather have him, then not have him. He can change a game. Maybe Wb will see that when they travel to Abe next week. You say Wb is more well rounded. I've already asked this question on the 6A forum, but how do you know how good Wb really is? They haven't played anyone. Montgomery barely beat Conroe tonight 43-39. That TAPPs school is 2-4. Central is what 2-3? Playing against average or bad teams can make you look better than you really are. Just my opinion though..

No, I didn't know your an got hurt, but I knew the starter was good.  When I said that about your qb, it was a compliment.  He's a gamer, and when he's on, the team is on.  No knock on him...

And you're right.  Who has WB played?  I say they're doing pretty good because overall, this team is young and this was supposed to be a 'down year's for them, and they just keep winning.  Great young talent, good running game, but a young defense.  Only time will tell how they will do once they hit the meat of their schedule... Which starts tomorrow and then with the game against y'all looming.  

29 minutes ago, TXFBfan said:

My take away from the Lufkin game was wow that qb was good and so were the receivers.  I don't think many teams have that kind of talent and like I said they were the highest scoring team on the Highlanders in the last two years.  I went to the sub varsity tonight.  BWB had some success with the passes similar to Lufkin.  Their receivers seemed very quick compared to the Highlander db's.  But,in the end the Highlanders were too deep.  The Highlanders were able to get great pressure with turnovers in both games.  The B team game was 42-0, the A team game was 28-12 as I recall, but I could be a little off on the A game.  I was really impressed with especially the A team qb for BWB.

What about the fish teams? Thanks

13 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

No, I didn't know your an got hurt, but I knew the starter was good.  When I said that about your qb, it was a compliment.  He's a gamer, and when he's on, the team is on.  No knock on him...

And you're right.  Who has WB played?  I say they're doing pretty good because overall, this team is young and this was supposed to be a 'down year's for them, and they just keep winning.  Great young talent, good running game, but a young defense.  Only time will tell how they will do once they hit the meat of their schedule... Which starts tomorrow and then with the game against y'all looming.  

Thanks for the info. Some people have said similar things in the past on other forums to take a shot, so I assumed the wrong thing. My bad. I do agree, if this team is young, then they're doing pretty good so far. Regardless of who they've played, they're 6-0 I think and have a chance to make a lot of noise around the state, if they can get a win tomorrow against a talented Woodlands team. I'm not expecting it, but we'll see. I'll be pulling for them for district title reasons though, but again don't think it's going to happen. 

9 hours ago, ShlyKBMT said:

Coach Stump hated that. He said BISD forced him to play Central and Ozen when he had other big schools lined up to play.

I think the local games are pretty good for the community.  The kids sure look forward to it, which is the most important thing.. 

And humble has so many schools and the school in the lower classifications has so many district games that Atascocita probably can't put all of the Humble schools on the schedule.  They probably would if they could.. 

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:08 PM, 82 5A State Champs said:

Bud, the teams WB has played have a 9-25 record, collectively. Only one of them has a winning record, and that's Montgomery, at 4-2. I guess the quality of wins isn't what I would want it to be, and when we actually play a quality team, like Lufkin, or the Woodlands, I don't expect us to be on the same page. Maybe I'm way off, and we'll beat one of the aforementioned teams left on the schedule. The way I see it, we'll finish 8-2, which is a huge step in the right direction. Especially, for this staff. But, until we can beat teams like that, I don't think we'll get the respect that we've had in the past. Still, starting the season 6-0, is a huge accomplishment, and something I wasn't expecting. So, huge kudos to the kids, and the staff.

Why in you opinion has Flanigan not dropped playing Central and Ozen? To me he could use those 2 slots to play

6A teams and to get ready for district.

2 minutes ago, robanadana said:

I can understand keeping Central on the schedule...they just need a coach. On the other hand, Beaumont Ozen should have dropped to the 4A classification and has no business playing a 6A school. Look at this year, they're getting slaughtered. Bad choice by BISD athletic director to keep them 5A.

BASKETBALL

39 minutes ago, robanadana said:

I can understand keeping Central on the schedule...they just need a coach. On the other hand, Beaumont Ozen should have dropped to the 4A classification and has no business playing a 6A school. Look at this year, they're getting slaughtered. Bad choice by BISD athletic director to keep them 5A.

Rob. They turned in 5a numbers...  Barely...  They're a 5a school.  They turned in 5a numbers to uil...

5 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Expect Ozen to drop next realignment...

If they do drop, that is even more reason why the Beaumont Bowl game between WB and Ozen.  When the Bruins have match ups like the ones that face them tonight, they need that game slot to schedule a team of a size larger than Ozen which will better prepare them.

13 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

If they do drop, that is even more reason why the Beaumont Bowl game between WB and Ozen.  When the Bruins have match ups like the ones that face them tonight, they need that game slot to schedule a team of a size larger than Ozen which will better prepare them.

I think they'll have a legitimate argument if and when Ozen turns in those 4a numbers...

But it don't have to be like that.  Each Beaumont high school has 2 feeder schools.  In Ozen's feeder schools, nose of those kids are allowed to go to West Brook..