21-5A Outlook

Cougar14.2

18 minutes ago, CoogGuy said:

At the risk of alienating my peeps in Coog Town, i don't think this is Rio's best team. Skill position wise maybe, but line play not so much, will be our weakness all year.  There are still to many athletes walking the halls of CHS not playing football don't get me wrong it's getting better but we're not there yet.  Prime example #30 played his first game ever against Manvel, he will definitely be a defensive strength this year. 

Agree about O-Line. But this defense might be special. 

11 minutes ago, CoogGuy said:

At the risk of alienating my peeps in Coog Town, i don't think this is Rio's best team. Skill position wise maybe, but line play not so much, will be our weakness all year.  There are still to many athletes walking the halls of CHS not playing football don't get me wrong it's getting better but we're not there yet.  Prime example #30 played his first game ever against Manvel, he will definitely be a defensive strength this year. 

Yeah, you have to include defense though. Look how dominant our line was in 2013 with the Twins running behind it. Issue is that after giving up 63 to Summer Creek in district play you could forecast we were going to struggle defensively against the more elite opponents. We subsequently gave up 56 to Elgin the year after giving up 49 to the district mate Manor, both in the second round. 

I don't think that's going to happen with this team. I think it's a consensus about the offensive and defensive skill players but I also think they overcome whatever deficiencies we may have at the offensive line of scrimmage. Manvel is probably the best front seven in Texas at the 5A level. 

23 minutes ago, CoogGuy said:

Also, ask yourself this. Manvel looked bigger, faster and better than the Ridge Point team we played last year. How long did it take you to think this team is a lot better than us last year versus last Friday? 

29 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Also, ask yourself this. Manvel looked bigger, faster and better than the Ridge Point team we played last year. How long did it take you to think this team is a lot better than us last year versus last Friday? 

I felt the same way about the Manvel game as i did about the Cedar Park game with the exception of the "fight" i think this group has much more in them. i know my opinion is in the minority but the offense seems to limited with Netherly at QB i think he needs to be back at WR so we can stretch the field and open up some running lanes. Hope i'm wrong.

I know the young kid was able to scramble once out of done pressure, but that Manvel D line was legit, their second wave of D linemen was better that anything they will face in district.  He got out of some situations just because he is a freak.  If you look at it, he was never able to set his feet and actually throw the ball.  For the record, the one he over threw Craig wouldn't have counted anyway because of the holding penalty.  Speaking of penalties, 50 yards away from the play and all of the blocking below the waist put them in horrible situations all night.  

5 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

That game would be an epic beat-down if Crosby stays healthy. IDK how the record is going to end up but this is probably Riordan's best team at Crosby. Make of that what you will. 

That's a gigantic prediction w/the defense/o/line Crosby went to the semi's with 2014.Everybody knows Crosby has serious speed/skill players,has for yrs.This yr will be a wait/see how the line play mature's.I'm a huge fan of the trench fellas,along the way you need a little luck,some breaks,and good draws.Getting tuffer by the yrs to sniff the region finals

1 hour ago, liltex said:

That's a gigantic prediction w/the defense/o/line Crosby went to the semi's with 2014.Everybody knows Crosby has serious speed/skill players,has for yrs.This yr will be a wait/see how the line play mature's.I'm a huge fan of the trench fellas,along the way you need a little luck,some breaks,and good draws.Getting tuffer by the yrs to sniff the region finals

Crosby beats Manvel in a giant beat  down  IF they are healthy-drink that koolaid,lol!  Manvel just like Crosby isn't even in mid - season form . I'm all for supporting your own team but no way Crosby threatens Manvel. Manvel's o and d lines set the tone- and in typical Manvel fashion, they let off the gas. We respect Crosby, just not in the same ballpark for 4 qrtrs. This is a young Manvel team compared to years past. Some want to say something about enrollment numbers. How much bigger was Northshore and Pearland compared to Manvel? Manvel was 2-2 against NS and 3-1 against Pland. 

2 minutes ago, cpujt8 said:

Crosby beats Manvel in a giant beat  down  IF they are healthy-drink that koolaid,lol!  Manvel just like Crosby isn't even in mid - season form . I'm all for supporting your own team but no way Crosby threatens Manvel. Manvel's o and d lines set the tone- and in typical Manvel fashion, they let off the gas. We respect Crosby, just not in the same ballpark for 4 qrtrs. This is a young Manvel team compared to years past. Some want to say something about enrollment numbers. How much bigger was Northshore and Pearland compared to Manvel? Manvel was 2-2 against NS and 3-1 against Pland. 

:)

3 minutes ago, cpujt8 said:

Ummmmm, you must understood Liltex on what he was saying.  He was comparing Crosby teams from this year to a couple of years ago.  Plus Tex is a Dayton guy, but supports 21-5a I'll say.  If you look at the post, most Crosby folks gave Manvel the utmost respect.  Probably the best front seven Crosby will see all year no matter how deep they go in the playoffs (if div 2).  That #3 in the secondary was physical.  You can't tell me though if that fumble is recovered at Manvels 10 yard line early in the second half, it could have changed a lot in that game?

9 minutes ago, CougarCal said:

Ummmmm, you must understood Liltex on what he was saying.  He was comparing Crosby teams from this year to a couple of years ago.  Plus Tex is a Dayton guy, but supports 21-5a I'll say.  If you look at the post, most Crosby folks gave Manvel the utmost respect.  Probably the best front seven Crosby will see all year no matter how deep they go in the playoffs (if div 2).  That #3 in the secondary was physical.  You can't tell me though if that fumble is recovered at Manvels 10 yard line early in the second half, it could have changed a lot in that game?

Never an issue about respect- it is a given. All  I'm saying is both teams will improve. Mr BG will agree that the run defense for the past 4 yrs at Manvel was lacking- I think the tide is turning in that regard and will only improve. Would love to see last years offense with what I believe is the best defense that Manvel has had. Having put 2 kids through Manvel, this year may be special.
mhode 29 875 Today 7:55:27 PM EDT 
by USA beatjunglist  Last PostA 

10 minutes ago, cpujt8 said:

Never an issue about respect- it is a given. All  I'm saying is both teams will improve. Mr BG will agree that the run defense for the past 4 yrs at Manvel was lacking- I think the tide is turning in that regard and will only improve. Would love to see last years offense with what I believe is the best defense that Manvel has had. Having put 2 kids through Manvel, this year may be special.

I really hate that Katy was in the way all those years, I believe Manvel would have at least 1 state title during that timeframe. I expect Manvel to get to state this year though. 

18 minutes ago, cpujt8 said:

After watching the first half, my first post was, "too many studs" that's how I started it off.  I know how good the Manvel coaching staff is also because after the first play from scrimmage and Manny went house call, they adjusted to that play.  Manvel is going to make some noise no doubt, I also truly believe that if they are D2, so could Crosby.

57 minutes ago, cpujt8 said:

I believe their talking about Crosby v png not Manvel.

Hey I get the Setx deal regarding coaching and facilities and community  support. Graduated from Anahuac back in 84, and we ruled the roost back then. The athletes, coaching , facilities and what t he kids buy into these days is head and shoulders above what we had back then. No reason why PAM , PNG ,etc can't get back to that pinnacle. Crosby is on the rise, Dayton has been there  along with the Hill.  I support ALL Txhsfb and especially those east of the Trinity. 

1 hour ago, cpujt8 said:

I was talking about Crosby beating PNG. We still need about 400 more kids to really compete at the 5A-D1 level in this region. I think North Shore will rough Manvel up this go around but I think it'll be a close game with Pearland. Once district play starts I don't think Manvel even gets tested until they meet Cedar Park in the third round. 

1 hour ago, cpujt8 said:

Who? Crosby posters?

3 minutes ago, indianforever said:

I think Crosby will end up going div 1 this year

If that happens goodbye Ned in the first round. Honestly I think Crosby would have an easier road in D2, but i bet a big contigent of their fans wouldn't mind that 1st round matchup one bit.