What is the strangest thing you have eaten?

UTfanatic

On August 2, 2016 at 1:47 AM, tvc184 said:

If squirrels, various birds, gator , wild pig and deer are strange.... I guess I have eaten something strange. Those seem like everyday fare in southeast TX but obviously not everyone has eaten it. Seems far from "strange" however.  

"Maybe" in that category that I have eaten is pig ear salad and jellyfish salad..... and maybe strange for most people (including me), haggis.  

Your post reminded me of a happening.   When my son came home from Desert Storm, we had a big coming home party with friends and family.  Guy had given me a deer roast that I had BBQ at Deans in Bmt.  My daughter was 19 and said, I ain't eating no Bambi.   Got it heated up and sliced.  She finally took a little bite, and Bambi had turned into an eatable hunk of delicious meat.  One of those "priceless" moments.

5 hours ago, baddog said:

.....then you really don't want to know what is in bologna, Vienna sausage, or weiners.

Oh H-ll no. :) 

Did here an interesting story about Spam.  Always heard it was trash meat, but Hormel was doing pork but couldn't use the pork butts.  Mr Hormel had his R&D folks figure out how to use it.  So Spam is (was?) pork butt, not lips & ears lol. 

10 hours ago, REBgp said:

Did here an interesting story about Spam.  Always heard it was trash meat, but Hormel was doing pork but couldn't use the pork butts.  Mr Hormel had his R&D folks figure out how to use it.  So Spam is (was?) pork butt, not lips & ears lol. 

And Spam is the national food of Hawaii!

10 hours ago, REBgp said:

Haven't had Spam in years. Does it still come in that can with the key that never completely opened it and you ended up getting a hack saw or pliers to finish the job.....or cut yourself badly on the sharp edges you created?

On my chocolate covered ants....etc., my 8th grade history teacher went to South America and brought those back for her students. I tried them, they were small black ants. The grasshopper, I bit into and stopped.

1 hour ago, baddog said:

Haven't had Spam in years. Does it still come in that can with the key that never completely opened it and you ended up getting a hack saw or pliers to finish the job.....or cut yourself badly on the sharp edges you created?

On my chocolate covered ants....etc., my 8th grade history teacher went to South America and brought those back for her students. I tried them, they were small black ants. The grasshopper, I bit into and stopped.

Spam does not come with a key any more. 

Just a normal pop top like Bushes Beans.

12 hours ago, REBgp said:

Fried Spam sandwich, bon appetit

5 hours ago, baddog said:

Ate a lot of spam as a kid. Also had Carnation's instant non-fat dry milk. We certainly were not rich. Oatmeal was a staple. 

Back on topic......anyone remember Top Kick dog food in a can? I took a taste. Knew a guy who ate dog biscuits.....said they were good for your teeth.

As BSW said, fried spam sandwiches were always a treat.  My wife will still get some from time to time for a blast from the past.  We had oatmeal too but my mom preferred the malt-O-meal.   Do they still make that?

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

As BSW said, fried spam sandwiches were always a treat.  My wife will still get some from time to time for a blast from the past.  We had oatmeal too but my mom preferred the malt-O-meal.   Do they still make that?

My wife says they still make Malt-O-Meal. I might try some Spam again, fry it with some eggs. Used to eat it on a sandwich straight out of the can, after washing off the gelatin.

My kids have been looking for the game "Bean Boozled", and finally found it at Candy Craze in Central mall.

It's Jelly Bellies and their evil tasting twins. Peach and barf, coconut and dirty socks, lime and lawn clippings, chocolate and canned dog food, buttered popcorn and spoiled mild etc...

I seemed to get all the bad ones. Kids laughing their butts off and mama trying not to throw up.

Fascinating thread! I've eaten some of the stuff y'all listed, but am now at a place in my life where I'm not as curious and don't have to prove manhood by eating disgusting things. Reminds me of when I was a kid and we would eat at a Mexican food restaurant. The had the chocolate covered ants and grasshoppers. I'd ask Dad for some, and he'd always saw "Wait until you get home. We have candy without bugs in it" That makes really good sense to me now!

23 hours ago, NDNation said:

My kids have been looking for the game "Bean Boozled", and finally found it at Candy Craze in Central mall.

It's Jelly Bellies and their evil tasting twins. Peach and barf, coconut and dirty socks, lime and lawn clippings, chocolate and canned dog food, buttered popcorn and spoiled mild etc...

I seemed to get all the bad ones. Kids laughing their butts off and mama trying not to throw up.

We played it a few weeks ago......horrible game