Elijah Parquet (West Brook 2018)

On 5/5/2016 at 4:12 PM, BLUEDOVE3 said:

It does not make a difference if you play for your father. It's all about residency. A former Ozen player went to play for his father in Houston and wasn't allowed to play varsity his JUNIOR year.

Thanks for the clarity on this...I just figured that the kid would be allowed to move as well.

18 minutes ago, Barney Fife said:

Thanks for the clarity on this...I just figured that the kid would be allowed to move as well.

That's because you are thinking about it logically.   You would think if a kid's parent took a job coaching at a school, he would be allowed to play there.  After all, schools allow an exception to the residency requirement in such instances for a teacher's children to attend.  But we are talking about the UIL here.  Logic is not always present in these rules. 

10 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

That's because you are thinking about it logically.   You would think if a kid's parent took a job coaching at a school, he would be allowed to play there.  After all, schools allow an exception to the residency requirement in such instances for a teacher's children to attend.  But we are talking about the UIL here.  Logic is not always present in these rules. 

I was a coach's son that attended a school out of zone for all four of my high school years, and my dad and I had to go before the district committee EVERY year, because the same two coaches (one was from my zoned school) complained EVERY year. It became a running joke after my sophomore year, because it became the shortest DEC committee meeting in the history of DEC meetings those last two years! Waste of time. But its perfectly legal for a kid to play where his father (or mother) is employed no matter where that may be in relation to the residence.

19 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

I was a coach's son that attended a school out of zone for all four of my high school years, and my dad and I had to go before the district committee EVERY year, because the same two coaches (one was from my zoned school) complained EVERY year. It became a running joke after my sophomore year, because it became the shortest DEC committee meeting in the history of DEC meetings those last two years! Waste of time. But its perfectly legal for a kid to play where his father (or mother) is employed no matter where that may be in relation to the residence.

Well in the case stated above he didnt get to play dickie. 

16 hours ago, Dick Vitale said:

That's because he was not the custodial parent and the student resided with his mother....Big difference.

And because his father didnt live in the schools zone his residency was in Fort Bend had he been living in the North Shore zone he wouldve been able to play ..hadn't established a year of residency which is why he had to play JV..

43 minutes ago, BlkMamba24 said:

And because his father didnt live in the schools zone his residency was in Fort Bend had he been living in the North Shore zone he wouldve been able to play ..hadn't established a year of residency which is why he had to play JV..

Yep!!

4 minutes ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

Wait a minute!! UIL stared these rules because those little hick country schools were not playing by the rules. Show me an inner city school misusing the rules back in the 30's Nash.

Only if you show me the "hick country schools" doing the same in the 30s

6 minutes ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

Wait a minute!! UIL stared these rules because those little hick country schools were not playing by the rules. Show me an inner city school misusing the rules back in the 30's Nash.

30s??  I knew Dove and Nash were old but I had no idea THAT old!  Off topic - was it a lot harder to shoot the ball through a peach basket than today's rims and nets?

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 10:15 AM, BLUEDOVE3 said:

Not sure if anyone is comparing but me personally, all I am saying is that Ozen provided a well-rounded academic program for my kids.

You could...but not for long lol