UIL Pitch Limit

Silsbee92

6 minutes ago, HOTROD309 said:

Ok .. Then I'm pointing the finger at the parents .. Is that better ? 

And one question to all the people on here talking about how bad 

select ball is .. Do you even a kid that plays baseball ? And where at ? 

Good idea.  Maybe list it on a response.  Could be interesting to see.

Was just stating that was an exaggeration of the facts.  As far as the rest, I have heard it all.  Heck even from some of the parents who's kids are playing next to mine.  Couple of points...  first, nothing about select baseball that takes away from that sense of community pride.  Second,  youth sports whether you are talking soccer, cheerleading, gymnastics, baseball, football,... is big business.  Even colleges are in on the gig.  I get two or three emails a week from colleges wanting my son to come to their prospect camp.  Guess what... they all cost money.  Then there is the recruiting services, talk about a racket.  Do these select ball coaches and teams get a player more exposure....  absolutely.  Do they make calls on behalf of your kid...  absolutely.  Would some of these kids get scholarships anyway... absolutely.  So what does that all mean nothing...  absolutely nothing other than it is each parents personal decision to do what they think is best for their kid.  But to just blindly blame select baseball for causing all the repetitive motion injuries and everything else that is wrong with the sport, is just flat out wrong.

1 hour ago, Swagg3364 said:

Can someone please let me know which college or colleges are providing degrees for $30k, 40k, or even 50k, because I want to sign up now before all the spots are taken!!!

Well, since you asked, most public colleges/universities would fall into this price range.  Now if it took you 8-10 years to make it through Lamar then I could understand why you are confused.

5 hours ago, Basketball2019 said:

there is a reason why baseball is only played in high school from Feb-may with state being in june=4 1/2 months, college baseball= 5 1/2 months, mlb= 8 months, if you live and die select ball and playing it non stop you are playing baseball for 8 months......not even MLB players play longer than that....this is why you see all these arm injuries....also select ball you have pitchers that pitch  and then they are still playing out in the field, these kids don't get rest like a normal 14-18 year old should just plain and simple...

I agree 100% with this guy. Select ball was not available to myself or those my age back in my day and you heard of far less arm injuries even with high inning counts but within a 3-4 month window for most. Even then there were a few of us back in HS that threw 100 plus innings/year and came down with shoulder and elbow injuries. If you double that on the ole' arm, I could only imagine the wear and tear the kids are undertaking in todays fast pace, quick turnaround, types of environment. I urge you all to exercise caution with your kids and their ability to pitch. 18 years later and my shoulder still gives me hell all the time.....and please stop trying to live thru your kids.

1 hour ago, callumlikeiseeum said:
4 minutes ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

Well, since you asked, most public colleges/universities would fall into this price range.  Now if it took you 8-10 years to make it through Lamar then I could understand why you are confused.

Do you know me????  LOL.  Actually Lamar - tuition, room and board is $22,000.00 a year for 15 hours fall and spring.  Just going fall and spring; it would take you probably 5 years.  That is $110k, if my pea brain got the math right.  Looked it up before I posted... so I wouldn't look like a DA.  Just cause we may be on different sides of an opinion....  does not really give you the right to start throwing personal insults.  JS

17 minutes ago, Swagg3364 said:

I could interview 100 random students on Lamar's campus and probably could not find one that is paying $22K/yr "out of pocket".  You saying 22K/yr is like telling me I'm going to pay the MSRP on the next vehicle I buy.  Come on kid.

And if I'm figuring the cost of my kid going to college without a scholarship, he/she would be living at home, paying for their meals with a part-time job and only paying for tuition & books (which would be bought online and not in the campus bookstores).  4 years at Lamar would cost me about $40K without any assistance.

18 minutes ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

I could interview 100 random students on Lamar's campus and probably could not find one that is paying $22K/yr "out of pocket".  You saying 22K/yr is like telling me I'm going to pay the MSRP on the next vehicle I buy.  Come on kid.

Dear Jockstrap,

Don't trust me go to www.collegeforalltexans.com.  It has the average costs for every college in the great State of Texas.  Actually it is $22,466 per year, which comes to $112,330 TT&L.  The students don't know because their parents are the ones paying the $$$.  Come on kid!!

1 minute ago, Swagg3364 said:

Dear Jockstrap,

Don't trust me go to www.collegeforalltexans.com.  It has the average costs for every college in the great State of Texas.  Actually it is $22,466 per year, which comes to $112,330 MSRP.  Come on kid!!

We're kind of getting off topic but I can't resist.  Swagg, I'm assuming since you are on this site that you probably live within driving distance of Lamar Univ.  If that is true, PLEASE tell me you would not pay $22K out of your own pocket annually to send one of your children to Lamar.  I don't care what your chart says, if you say you would pay 22K/yr for "5 years" at Lamar, I cannot continue this conversation with you.  I'm sorry.

11 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Okay, first, we need to stop with the name calling on BOTH sides of the issue.

Second, a question, is there a pitch count limit in place for select ball like one the UIL is considering for high school?

There was no name calling.  One of the meanings of my username is "jockstrap", and his username is Swagg.   I'll let the Select experts answer your question but in the days of old, the select leagues preferred to use Innings Count instead of Pitch Count, but I'm sure that has changed since then.

Anyways, I better go start saving up for that  $112,330 degree from Lamar (according to Swagg's handy, dandy chart).

How many of these kids playing select pick up a ball twice a week to throw while at practice, and every other weekend to play? Then don't pick up a ball the rest of the days. That's most likely playing catch 10 times in 30 days, and 2 times a month pitching. That's no way to keep an arm in shape, and on top of that, how many of them actually do arm care to help protect their arms? There's more to blame than throwing too many pitches in an outing in my opinion.....and I definitely don't condone over throwing a kid just to win a game.  

13 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

But there is some sort of limitation in select ball, right.  It may not be pitches but innings are better than nothing.

Another question..

Any rule against using a pitch count in Select instead of Innings?

And if not,   how many managers implement the pitch count to protect young arms?

Also, I believe that you need to throw REGULARLY, not in amount of throws, but as a strength

workout to build a strong arm.