Beaumont Harmony Science appealing

5 minutes ago, ShlyKBMT said:

Beaumont Harmony AD Danny McClintock, Jr. confirms with me they have started the appeals process to the UIL. HSA was placed in 22-4A for basketball.

Apparantly they turned in enrollment numbers for the entire school, not just high school grades.

Still doesn't make sense. From what I am told, charter schools have to play in lowest classification that the nearby public schools are zoned in. Ozen has 4A numbers but opted up. Therefore 4A is the lowest classification the Harmony can play in, per UIL policy for charter schools. Doesn't matter what numbers they turned in.

1 minute ago, Lazeek said:

doesn't matter what numbers they turned in

UIL rules state that charter schools must compete in the smallest classification within the boundaries of the public schools they draw from

Ozen turned in class 4A numbers but opted up to 5A

therefore, Harmony plays in class 4A

Correct

Just now, Lazeek said:

Hope's boundaries include Sabine Pass which is why prior to this year they were in 2A.  They can play up they just cannot play lower than the smallest classification they draw from.

Appeals granted don't guarantee anything, very few are ever approved or changed.

Again, correct.

This may be one of the rare instances that an appeal is approved, but my money is that Harmony plays 4A.

23 minutes ago, ShlyKBMT said:

At 120 students I would expect an appeal to be approved. The school was actually under the impression they would be in 2A when applying to the UIL. If they're not approved I wouldn't expect them to play in the UIL. No reason to put their kids through that.

Unfortunately, Harmony suffers from a rule that was intended to protect public schools from the likes of Prime Prep and Triple A.  Mercy would dictate that Harmony not be compelled to play in 22-4A.  However, it appears from the rules that the UIL might not be allowed to extend such mercy.

3 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Surely there are some Science students at Ozen, Central and West Brook that can hoop it up and transfer to Harmony. After watching what happened with Triple A a few years back the rule has merit regardless of which way it is used.

Nope, I'm pretty sure Central is mostly "Medical" students.  

3 minutes ago, whsalum said:

Surely there are some Science students at Ozen, Central and West Brook that can hoop it up and transfer to Harmony. After watching what happened with Triple A a few years back the rule has merit regardless of which way it is used.

That's it...they need to stop competing against each other and make a super team at Harmony!!

2 hours ago, ShlyKBMT said:

At 120 students I would expect an appeal to be approved. The school was actually under the impression they would be in 2A when applying to the UIL. If they're not approved I wouldn't expect them to play in the UIL. No reason to put their kids through that.

That belief is a bit interesting because they are already assigned to District 24-4A this year for track and field. However, I do hope the appeal is approved. It would be the best decision for the kids involved in the current situation. I also understand that if you move them down to 2A it only takes a few transfers and they are immediately a powerhouse.