Houston Texans Options at QB for 2016-17

Bob McNair has stated on multiple occasions since the Texans blowout loss at home to the Kansas City Chiefs that their number one priority this off-season will be to find a franchise quarterback. There aren't many options in free agency and they pick too far back in the draft to pick a high-quality QB without a trade up. What do you think they do? Do they take a risk in free agency with Sam Bradford? Do they trade up in the draft to get Jared Goff or Paxton Lynch? 

29 minutes ago, eagleswoodville#1 said:

I can't say I blame you. But it's hard to fire a GM without extreme reason after your team won the division the previous year. 

That was the worst possible thing that could have happened. It covered up so many deficiencies and poor personnel decisions.

If Luck is healthy, the Texans would have missed the playoffs and the change would have been easy. Curse you Andrew Luck!

4 hours ago, eagleswoodville#1 said:

Bob McNair has stated on multiple occasions since the Texans blowout loss at home to the Kansas City Chiefs that their number one priority this off-season will be to find a franchise quarterback. There aren't many options in free agency and they pick too far back in the draft to pick a high-quality QB without a trade up. What do you think they do? Do they take a risk in free agency with Sam Bradford? Do they trade up in the draft to get Jared Goff or Paxton Lynch? 

Sam Bradford awful,  but don't put it past the incompetent GM.

Just now, eagleswoodville#1 said:

I like Paxton Lynch out of Memphis and Carson Wentz out of NDSU. Both are big, strong armed quarterbacks with good athleticism and the potential to be a franchise QB. I take either one of them over Hackenberg.

The problem is neither will be available where the Texans draft pick is. (22)

1 hour ago, bigdog said:

The problem is neither will be available where the Texans draft pick is. (22)

I don't see Lynch being available, unless he has a terrible combine and set of pro days. But Wentz is viewed as a second round prospect by every mock draft put out in the last week. He's a very real option for Houston. I would love to see them throw Clowney into a package and trade up for Lynch. I think Goff is out of the question. He will go #2 to Cleveland. 

No bill will eventually say he believes in Savage. We Will not draft a qb in the first round. Just about all of them have first round grades. after combine and pro days Todd macshay and crew will find reasons to drop them down to later rounds. Hack will be around late second. If we don't trade up he'll be the guy. Texans take S Wr or ol with the 22 pick. open competition for savage and hack.

On 1/14/2016 at 10:24 AM, eagleswoodville#1 said:

If they get Sam Bradford I will never aloow a Texans game to be watched in my house again.  I think he will stick with Savage and probably get Hackenberg if he is available. 

As long as Rick Smith is the GM, there is no telling what they will do.  Lynch won't be available most likely, Wentz may be, but how many "franchise" QB's are there?  When the owner comes out and says we gotta find one though, that should be priory #1.  The team still has a lot of holes that comes from constantly missing in the draft.  After Cleveland the Texans have probably drafted worse than anyone else the past 5 years.

On 1/15/2016 at 11:09 AM, PAMFAM10 said:

No bill will eventually say he believes in Savage. We Will not draft a qb in the first round. Just about all of them have first round grades. after combine and pro days Todd macshay and crew will find reasons to drop them down to later rounds. Hack will be around late second. If we don't trade up he'll be the guy. Texans take S Wr or ol with the 22 pick. open competition for savage and hack.

Hoyer is his guy,  he has shown that this year.  I won't be surprised if he is starting next year.

21 hours ago, CougarCal said:

As long as Rick Smith is the GM, there is no telling what they will do.  Lynch won't be available most likely, Wentz may be, but how many "franchise" QB's are there?  When the owner comes out and says we gotta find one though, that should be priory #1.  The team still has a lot of holes that comes from constantly missing in the draft.  After Cleveland the Texans have probably drafted worse than anyone else the past 5 years.

Bingo

4 hours ago, PAMFAM10 said:

hoyer was his guy because of his NE ties and knowledge of his offense. Hoyer got bench first game for mallett eventually losing the starting position for awhile. O'Brien is not tied to Hoyer Hoyer was just the only option. 

And O'Brien basically admitted that he screwed up benching Hoyer so fast in the first game.  He also missed 3 games with injuries. Even if Savage is 100% at the start of the season I wouldn't be surprised if Hoyer starts.

26 minutes ago, bigdog said:

And O'Brien basically admitted that he screwed up benching Hoyer so fast in the first game.  He also missed 3 games with injuries. Even if Savage is 100% at the start of the season I wouldn't be surprised if Hoyer starts.

Hoyer is just below average on his best days. I would expect savage and rookie selected to battle for Qb1. O'Brien is a qb coach our owner mcnair already showed how he felt on issue. I'll rather go 0-16 and find out if the rookie or savage can play than 9-7 with a guy who's proven hes a back up.

Just now, PAMFAM10 said:

Hoyer is just below average on his best days. I would expect savage and rookie selected to battle for Qb1. O'Brien is a qb coach our owner mcnair already showed how he felt on issue. I'll rather go 0-16 and find out if the rookie or savage can play than 9-7 with a guy who's proven hes a back up.

Agree completely.

On 1/19/2016 at 1:40 PM, PAMFAM10 said:

How is O'Brien considered a qb coach?  I know that is what ppl say, but I don't see it.

On 1/24/2016 at 7:22 PM, PAMFAM10 said:

Hes a qb coach turned head coach. Brady can make anyone look good but Zack was big ten freshman of the year and all freshman team honors under bill Fitzpatrick also had his best statistical year under bill. he's 18-14 with hoyer and Fitz playing mostly under center. I personally think we got a hell of a ball coach 

Who is Zack?