Eisenhower Football Player Charged with Capital Murder

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 3:40 PM, bigdog said:

Sad.  Another question is why the heck would you steal a beige 2003 Buick Lesabre??  I guess to haul off their ill-gotten gains?? Its not like that's a highly requested chop-shop item.

It's more than likely that the car is the reason they broke in in the first place. I assume the rims on the car the family mentioned are what we call 84's in the Houston area. People in the Houston area have been murdered over these rims in car jacking attempts since the mid-90's. If he had the money to buy the rims he probably also had several thousand dollars of other upgrades on/in the car. Believe it or not they'll take a fixed up Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac or Lincoln before they steal the Mercedes right next to it. They're much easier to strip and flip.  

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 7:00 AM, Englebert said:

He had six scholarship offers to choose from but he chose the "Mean Machine".

That's exactly why athletics are so important in the minority communities, often times even stressed more than academics. I think that's highlighted by the fact that even though blacks are only about 12% of the US population they make up about 70% of NFL players and about 74% of NBA players. Athletics are often times the only realistic way some of these kids don't end up as a statistic on one of those steamers running across Fox later in life.    

48 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

It's more than likely that the car is the reason they broke in in the first place. I assume the rims on the car the family mentioned are what we call 84's in the Houston area. People in the Houston area have been murdered over these rims in car jacking attempts since the mid-90's. If he had the money to buy the rims he probably also had several thousand dollars of other upgrades on/in the car. Believe it or not they'll take a fixed up Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac or Lincoln before they steal the Mercedes right next to it. They're much easier to strip and flip.  

Just to be clear , I wasn't making light of a terrible situation that this young man has got himself into.  But what you said about the car makes sense i guess from some people's standpoint as far as what they value.  Personally I don't see how rims are going to make this kid's life so much better that they are worth killing someone for.

31 minutes ago, bigdog said:

Just to be clear , I wasn't making light of a terrible situation that this young man has got himself into.  But what you said about the car makes sense i guess from some people's standpoint as far as what they value.  Personally I don't see how rims are going to make this kid's life so much better that they are worth killing someone for.

The kid could care less about the actual rims, it's the $500 he could sell them for to the guy up the street that they're after. It says this kid was the lookout while the others went it, meaning a statement as simple as "Hey, watch out while we hit this lick" is probably what's going to get him a life sentence. At Ike, where he went to school, probably 70% of kids qualify for free lunch. It's not a stretch to think he was in the same boat. In those types of households in can be hard to teach the value of hard work sometime, especially when the child has seen the parent/parents work hard and still be on section 8.   

37 minutes ago, NDNation said:

"The other men have yet to be apprehended". If I were him I would be spilling the beans for a lighter sentence.  Football career probably over with anyway but it beats spending life in prison. 

It's probably life in prison or death in the street if he talks. Pretty tough decision when all you were probably looking for is some money to buy shoes or clothes.

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The kid could care less about the actual rims, it's the $500 he could sell them for to the guy up the street that they're after. It says this kid was the lookout while the others went it, meaning a statement as simple as "Hey, watch out while we hit this lick" is probably what's going to get him a life sentence. At Ike, where he went to school, probably 70% of kids qualify for free lunch. It's not a stretch to think he was in the same boat. In those types of households in can be hard to teach the value of hard work sometime, especially when the child has seen the parent/parents work hard and still be on section 8.   

Either way, its not worth killing someone and ruining a potential career that could get you out of that situation.  A kid doesn't have to have the newest clothes or shoes to survive.  "Keeping up with the Jones" is going to get him state issued clothes and shoes for the rest of his life!

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

It's probably life in prison or death in the street if he talks. Pretty tough decision when all you were probably looking for is some money to buy shoes or clothes.

Sad part is, he would have gotten away from that life and those people with one of those scholarships.

27 minutes ago, bigdog said:

Either way, its not worth killing someone and ruining a potential career that could get you out of that situation.  A kid doesn't have to have the newest clothes or shoes to survive.  "Keeping up with the Jones" is going to get him state issued clothes and shoes for the rest of his life!

It's not worth it to you and I. Neither is walking into a crowded area with a suicide vest on to do harm to innocent people. It happens though. I doubt if you told him someone would be harmed he would even go. The way you look at survival is completely different than the way a minority youth in a poverty stricken urban area does. It doesn't make it right, it's just the way it is. I'm just trying to give you some substance behind the numbers you'll constantly rolled out on shows like O'Rielly and Hannity. The "Jones'" don't live in his neighborhood or go to school with him, I highly doubt he's ever seen them.  

4 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

It's not worth it to you and I. Neither is walking into a crowded area with a suicide vest on to do harm to innocent people. It happens though. I doubt if you told him someone would be harmed he would even go. The way you look at survival is completely different than the way a minority youth in a poverty stricken urban area does. It doesn't make it right, it's just the way it is. I'm just trying to give you some substance behind the numbers you'll constantly rolled out on shows like O'Rielly and Hannity. The "Jones'" don't live in his neighborhood or go to school with him, I highly doubt he's ever seen them.  

I just don't buy it.  Sorry.  We can do as much as we want as a society, but at some point it comes down to accountability on the part of a kid and his/her parents.  I don't want to single schools out, but there are too many kids that go to Memorial, graduate, and move on to earn college degrees and become successful individuals to say that it can't be done.   "The way you look at survival is completely different than the way a minority youth in a poverty stricken area does."  Really?  If a kid is being looked at by 6 colleges for his athletic abilities, then he has had more "privileges" than this unathletic white boy ever had.  Stop making excuses.  This kid's actions aren't any different than the actions of the kid from Dallas who tried to beg off of murder charges due to "affluenza."  It's just kids making boneheaded decisions that cost someone else their life.  It's ridiculous to blame somebody's wealth or poverty when it ultimately came down to a teenager making a bad decision.  

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The "Jones" I was referring to are the other kids with the high dollar rims or stereos or shoes in the neighborhood.  Even in poverty stricken neighborhoods you see kids with the expensive rims, the high dollar shoes from whatever basketball player is popular at the time, (Yes I remember people getting killed for Air Jordans).  And no, that doesn't have anything to do with survival in any area. "Thats just the way it is " is a status quo answer instead of maybe trying to change the status quo for the better.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I just don't buy it.  Sorry.  We can do as much as we want as a society, but at some point it comes down to accountability on the part of a kid and his/her parents.  I don't want to single schools out, but there are too many kids that go to Memorial, graduate, and move on to earn college degrees and become successful individuals to say that it can't be done.   "The way you look at survival is completely different than the way a minority youth in a poverty stricken area does."  Really?  If a kid is being looked at by 6 colleges for his athletic abilities, then he has had more "privileges" than this unathletic white boy ever had.  Stop making excuses.  This kid's actions aren't any different than the actions of the kid from Dallas who tried to beg off of murder charges due to "affluenza."  It's just kids making boneheaded decisions that cost someone else their life.  It's ridiculous to blame somebody's wealth or poverty when it ultimately came down to a teenager making a bad decision.  

Agreed.

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

You don't have to buy it, I'm not trying to sell you on it. Nor am I making excuses or did I say it couldn't be done. As I stated before, only about 12% of the total US population is black yet 60% of the males incarcerated are black. That's what I mean by viewing survival differently in different places. That's not a coincidence the numbers look like that, it's a direct reflection of choices and opportunities. It's kind of like saying Native Americans have problems with alcoholism, then getting to actually go to indian reservations and finding out what the basis of the problem is. Before I saw it myself I was actually believing what Tom Daschle stood in front of my political science class saying, my opinions changed and I even vote democrat. If you've never had to live in the environment some of these kids come from then you'll never fully grasp it.  

It's kind of relative when you say "privilege" too. Obviously you were un-athletic but in every other instance of life I would be willing to bet you were more "privileged" than this kid was. Even in a case like Tony Brown being arrested at Alabama the decision he made for that to happen is probably one a kid from Bridge City doesn't make. Growing up in Beaumont you've probably seen the police pick with you for what you deem minor infractions. He probably saw the police being there as picking with him, similar to what may have happened to him or his buddies at home, and reacted accordingly. The BC kid has probably never had a run-in with the police other than a traffic violation and therefore would be more compliant.

Yes kids make bonehead decisions, I'm just highlighting why in some places some of those dumb decisions get you stuck in the mud and others get you a prison sentence.        

Man I get sick of hearing about the excuses for any ethnic background. Good lord white trash makes the ghetto look like Beverly Hills. Go to some areas around Dayton and you will see what I mean. Life isn't fair just a fact but it doesn't give you the right to kill somebody regardless of your circumstances. 

18 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

You don't have to buy it, I'm not trying to sell you on it. Nor am I making excuses or did I say it couldn't be done. As I stated before, only about 12% of the total US population is black yet 60% of the males incarcerated are black. That's what I mean by viewing survival differently in different places. That's not a coincidence the numbers look like that, it's a direct reflection of choices and opportunities. It's kind of like saying Native Americans have problems with alcoholism, then getting to actually go to indian reservations and finding out what the basis of the problem is. Before I saw it myself I was actually believing what Tom Daschle stood in front of my political science class saying, my opinions changed and I even vote democrat. If you've never had to live in the environment some of these kids come from then you'll never fully grasp it.  

It's kind of relative when you say "privilege" too. Obviously you were un-athletic but in every other instance of life I would be willing to bet you were more "privileged" than this kid was. Even in a case like Tony Brown being arrested at Alabama the decision he made for that to happen is probably one a kid from Bridge City doesn't make. Growing up in Beaumont you've probably seen the police pick with you for what you deem minor infractions. He probably saw the police being there as picking with him, similar to what may have happened to him or his buddies at home, and reacted accordingly. The BC kid has probably never had a run-in with the police other than a traffic violation and therefore would be more compliant.

Yes kids make bonehead decisions, I'm just highlighting why in some places some of those dumb decisions get you stuck in the mud and others get you a prison sentence.        

You lost me at Tony Brown. I know both of his parents and had the opportunity to play on a team his dad coached. That kid knows right from wrong and is probably more versed than the "kid from Bridge City". He is just a piss poor decision maker.

3 minutes ago, Scatright said:

You lost me at Tony Brown. I know both of his parents and had the opportunity to play on a team his dad coached. That kid knows right from wrong and is probably more versed than the "kid from Bridge City". He is just a piss poor decision maker.

Agreed on that part. I know the browns from their Dayton days. He was raised properly.

18 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Here's the deal, my friend.  I appreciate what you're saying.  I understand that your life experiences helped to forge your opinions, and it sounds like you also got a healthy dose of "higher education" as it's commonly presented to impressionable youths these days.  Understand this.  Calling another person "privileged" is synonymous with calling yourself a victim.  That's a fact.

4 minutes ago, Scatright said:

15 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

Cougar don't waste your time you're preaching to the choir most of these folks on here will never understand....

Never understand what?

About being a "minority"? No. I will not. 

About being poor? Yes, I know what its like to be poor. I was poor most of my childhood. My parents divorced when I was 1. Moved more times than I like to remember. Mom remarried 4 times. However, I did not allow my destiny to be determined by circumstances.

As for Tony Brown, I do not know this young man, but I know young men like him. All young people have a lot of growing up to do. He's no different. He will either fish or cut bait.

I am willing to bet that all of us on this forum have over come our circumstances. It's time for us to STOP blaming someone or something for our bad decisions. 

2 minutes ago, GCMPats said:

Never understand what?

About being a "minority"? No. I will not. 

About being poor? Yes, I know what its like to be poor. I was poor most of my childhood. My parents divorced when I was 1. Moved more times than I like to remember. Mom remarried 4 times. However, I did not allow my destiny to be determined by circumstances.

I am willing to bet that all of us on this forum have over come our circumstances. It's time for us to STOP blaming someone or something for our bad decisions. 

No-one is blaming the situation on anything...Cougar simply said he "UNDERSTOOD" something you fools on here can't seem to figure out.

5 minutes ago, dayton said:

Preaching to the choir is preaching to people that DO understand.... but i get what you're saying. You gotta admit though, TB had advantages that lots of Ozen kids never do/will. I do believe he's one of the exceptions and not the rule in his community though.

Tony is fine you guys are acting like he's committed a crime why are yall making such a big deal of his situation I don't understand it at all.