Eisenhower Football Player Charged with Capital Murder

Just now, ozensfinest said:

Tony is fine you guys are acting like he's committed a crime why are yall making such a big deal of his situation I don't understand it at all.

Never said he committed a crime. I just wouldn't lump him in with the group/culture that you're saying we don't understand. 

1 minute ago, ozensfinest said:

Tony is fine you guys are acting like he's committed a crime why are yall making such a big deal of his situation I don't understand it at all.

I am not sure about making it a "big deal".

I would bet that most of us on here would work (or have worked) our whole lives to try and provide our children with an opportunity to play D1 football at Alabama. Free school and all the benefits that go along with being a D1 athlete. It's frustrating to see (or what at least appears to be) someone "piss" that away.

Maybe we are wrong. Time will tell.

Just now, GCMPats said:

I am not sure about making it a "big deal".

I would bet that most of us on here would work (or have worked) our whole lives to try and provide our children with an opportunity to play D1 football at Alabama. Free school and all the benefits that go along with being a D1 athlete. It's frustrating to see (or what at least appears to be) someone "piss" that away.

Maybe we are wrong. Time will tell.

Lol so Tony didn't work all his life to get a free ride to bama? He's pissing it away by getting into a fight with a team okkkkkk

4 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

Why wouldn't you? Ozen is no different from ike Tony did go there you do understand right?

Because he had 2 parents with ample athletic/life experience, resources, education, etc to teach him things that MANY kids from poverty stricken, under-educated homes never get taught. 

1 minute ago, dayton said:

Because he had 2 parents with ample athletic/life experience, resources, education, etc to teach him things that MANY kids from poverty stricken, under-educated homes never get taught. 

Lol and he took advantage of it by graduating high school early earning a scholarship in not only football but track as well and is on pace to finish his degree in 3 years...where did he go wrong again? Cause I'm confused

1 minute ago, ozensfinest said:

Lol so Tony didn't work all his life to get a free ride to bama? He's pissing it away by getting into a fight with a team okkkkkk

No. He did work. Worked harder than most. No one is questioning his effort or ability on the football field or in the classroom for that matter. 

The coaches were asked BY THE TEAM to send him home. He has obviously done something to lose the trust of his peers. 

Just now, GCMPats said:

No. He did work. Worked harder than most. No one is questioning his effort or ability on the football field or in the classroom for that matter. 

The coaches were asked BY THE TEAM to send him home. He has obviously done something to lose the trust of his peers. 

Lol that where you're wrong, Saban left his punishment up to the players council and it was there decision to send him home again I'm still not seeing how any of this is a as big of a deal as most of you are tying to make it out to be.

5 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

Lol and he took advantage of it by graduating high school early earning a scholarship in not only football but track as well and is on pace to finish his degree in 3 years...where did he go wrong again? Cause I'm confused

He didn't go wrong. He did something dumb..., but who doesn't?  However, he does not belong in the same group that grows up feeling like they've got to steal or sell something to have decent clothes or enough to eat. Or the group that has been taught nothing at home but how to just scrape by.... does that make sense?

3 minutes ago, dayton said:

He didn't go wrong. He did something dumb..., but who doesn't?  However, he does not belong in the same group that grows up feeling like they've got to steal or sell something to have decent clothes or enough to eat. Or the group that has been taught nothing at home but how to just scrape by.... does that make sense?

Ok I got ya makes sense...

On 1/11/2016 at 9:13 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

That's exactly why athletics are so important in the minority communities, often times even stressed more than academics. I think that's highlighted by the fact that even though blacks are only about 12% of the US population they make up about 70% of NFL players and about 74% of NBA players. Athletics are often times the only realistic way some of these kids don't end up as a statistic on one of those steamers running across Fox later in life.    

Don't want to start anything, just dispel a common and very frustrating myth about poor minorities and sports. Athletics is most certainly not the only realistic way these kids don't end up a statistic. It is far easier, particularly for kids living in poverty, to get an academic scholarship than one in athletics, and even without a scholarship, college is still attainable to people at any level of income if it is something they really want. Not even mentioning the number of trade and career schools that exists as options for people who are truly motivated. There are a thousand ways to skin a cat. 

I don't mean to seem like I am lecturing, but it gets very tiresome when I hear kids act like if they don't get a scholarship to play sports then they have no chance in this world. And the sad part is that they get this idea from uninformed parents and relatives who think it is true. 

Fact is, if the parents of kids in bad situations cared 10% as much about their academics as they do about what they do on the court/field, then the kids would probably be alright. I see kids time and time again who's parents will show up to every sporting event but don't have time to make the meeting to decide the kids graduation plan or anything else to do with school. 

Man, you can tell there's no football to talk about. Y'all are lucky Crosby lost in the second round . . . Again.

I was just saying that stuff highlight motives for the actions of the young man. No way trying to justify any of it. I was thinking some background data would show why everybody doesn't view decision making through the same prism.

My family is probably the perfect example. My mom and some of her brothers went to school on athletic scholarships and got degrees, they started a trend. Only two of the nine first cousins I have that went to school on some sort of athletic scholarship didn't graduate. Out of 22 of us 16 have at least have a bachelors degree, I assume the number will grow generationally.

So not everyone needs sports to shake an environment but I'm telling you from being close to different situations it's the most efficient and realistic way to change course in some cases. I've seen the flip side too. I have a cousin and brother-in-law that were murdered and I have another cousin doing life. My wife is from the Dallas area, she has four maternal uncles. Two were murdered, the other two have life sentences. Other than her the only other person with a degree in her family is her cousin who played ball before blowing out his knee, he's a teacher now. They all come from the same type of areas, it's just that in those type places the opposite ends of the spectrum can literally be across the street from each other. It's a common reality, yet hard to wrap your mind around even in theory. 

As far as the education thing, let's be honest. Half the guys inside these refineries earning these six figure incomes can barely read, spell and punctuate at a high school level. A GED and some experience is all you need to make it these days. Half the time the foreman is making more than the engineer anyway. Education really isn't the issue, it's the proximity to bad choices that lead so many kids astray. 

People have to be realistic when they start talking about academic scholarships and college being attainable to all. One of those cousins I spoke of graduated Pre-Med in biology and is now a pharmacist in Liberty County, not even she qualified for a real academic scholarship. I guess you can attain it through financial aide and the accrual of massive sums of student loan debt though. Trade schools give you skills the majority of the time that are market dependent, I do agree they teach important skills though. 

I'm not saying the kids need athletics, I'm saying the truly motivated are going to thrive anyway. That's more than evident. My argument for the importance of athletics is geared towards kids like the article is about, not the "it's the only way out" argument some are trying to turn it into. 

Everyone on this thread all makes good points but at the end of the day the kid messed up I am a blk male who didn't have a 2 parent home and had to work for everything I had my mom and grandmother did their best to keep me away from bad individuals who lived in our neighborhood when I got to high school my mom finally moved me and my siblings out of a bad neighborhood I grew up with a lot talent in the Galveston county area guys that had multiple scholarship to big time schools but made some terrible mistake moral of the story is kids makes mistakes but they also know right from wrong and it also comes down to parenting as well