Wonder if more states will raise legal smoking age…

Mr. Buddy Garrity

I believe that if a person is old enough to die for their country, they are old enough to drink and smoke. Hey, but that's just me. Abortion should be illegal at any age except in cases of incest and rape.

I never understood this belief. While everyone that is 18 is "old enough" to serve, the truth is that most will not serve and many will even leave the country if forced to serve as we saw the last time we had  a draft. 

There are exemptions in the laws for people that serve in the military and if this is one of those exemptions then so be it. If a person is actively serving in the military or has done at least two years active and gotten an honorable discharge, let them make the decision. In fact I am all for illegal aliens getting the same exemption. The Dream Act was that if they went to college or joined the military they could become legal. To heck with college as anyone would do that just to get in the country. If you put on the uniform of the US military and do your time, potentially on the front line, you have earned your ticket. 

Again, I have no problem if you go in the service that you can make your own decisions. Why give a person that is immature and you can't even force to go to the military the claim that "because of the military" they the benefit. Make it an earned privilege. 

I don't get the GI Bill because my brother went to Viet Nam and served for 26 years and my father went to Korea and earned a Bronze Star for valor. They earned it, I did not. 

Again, I have no problem if you go in the service that you can make your own decisions. Why give a person that is immature and you can't even force to go to the military the claim that "because of the military" they the benefit. Make it an earned privilege. 

I don't get the GI Bill because my brother went to Viet Nam and served for 26 years and my father went to Korea and earned a Bronze Star for valor. They earned it, I did not. 

amen! 

+1000

I don't see much difference in a drunk 20 year old and a drunk 21 year old. I know some 17-18 year old guys who are more mature than some men I know who are in their 30s. All i am asking is why does it have to be earned? No one else "earned " it, simply born on an earlier date.....to me, does not equate to maturity.

Military service used to be forced when I was growing up. Drinking age was still 21 in Texas. Cigarettes?.......kids as young as 7-8 years old could go to the store and buy them for mom or dad.

tvc, you are too well-informed for me to debate. However, I do think my point is valid.

Someone does his thinking for him? It's what I got out of it.

how did you get that from that. 18 is young  no matter how you slice it. everyone can say if I knew what I knew now at 18 I would of did BLANK differently. at 18 you're not thinking for the long term. but I guess me regretting a decision of mine at 18 means someone does the thinking for me. SMH.

how did you get that from that. 18 is young  no matter how you slice it. everyone can say if I knew what I knew now at 18 I would of did BLANK differently. at 18 you're not thinking for the long term. but I guess me regretting a decision of mine at 18 means someone does the thinking for me. SMH.

Reread your post. What else could anyone get out of that? Maybe you meant you sure wish you "didn't" make that decision.