Former Yates star shot and killed

@JoshuaParrott: Sad news: @RCSSports reports ex-Trinity Valley CC F Melvin Swift shot & killed today.

Former 4-star recruit/Xavier pledge from Yates (TX).

@RcsSports: I have confirmed with Greg Wise that former Yates HS & Trinity Valley JC star Melvin Swift was shot & killed today. This is horrific news! 

RIP. 

Similar tragedy happened years ago to a guard named Kenny...I forgot his last name. He played hi sch ball at Houston Sterling, went to Sam Houston on a b ball scolly.  He was shot burglarizing someone's home.  That was that.  RIP

Edited by Kountzer
error

Similar tragedy happened years ago to a guard named Kenny...I forgot his last name. He played hi sch ball at Houston Sterling, went to Sam Houston on a b ball scolly.  He was shot burglarizing someone's home.  That was that.  RIP

Kountzer, you are showing your age.  I knew Kenny. Don Gage, a former Sam Houston guard and I were discussing Kenny about a year ago.  

You're right BLUEDOVE3.  I thought about that when I posted. That's interesting.

I think his full name was Kenny Steward, or Kenny Stewart.  Tbh I only saw him play one time, one game. It was his high school, Houston Ross Sterling, vs Houston Wheatley in the playoffs in 1973, I think that was the year.   Wheatley was a state and national juggernaut in high school basketball.  You had to live in that era to really understand the Wheatley basketball mystique.   Kenny almost led Sterling to an upset.  He had help from Lee Canaleto (sic?) a big Italian post player for Sterling.  Lee was about 6'5" 260, all state lineman, all state shot putter.   He went on to gain some fame of his on. Canaleto had about 20 rebounds in that game.  But Kenny Steward, man he put on a show going up against Wheatley.   The Wheatley Wildcats were a bit too over-confident.  They didn't take it seriously.  While Kenny and Sterling were out to bring them down.  It didn't happen, but Sterling got close, about as close as a team could get to the Wildcats that year.   Wheatley went on to win another state championship.  I read somewhere that Coach Jackie Carr called that team his best ever.

I followed Kenny Steward from then on.  I hated that the only game I saw him was his last high school game.  Keeping up with him was not easy back then.  The information age hadn't started yet. They didn't have PCs, Facebook, message boards, the internet, cells phones, twitter and all that back in the day.  i was shocked when I heard what happened to Kenny. i still don't understand it.  The same with Melvin Swift.  Only God knows for sure what is going on in peoples minds, in their hearts and in their lives.

RIP to both of them.

From what I've been seeing it looks like he was possibly involved in a home burglary when he was shot.

Dont pass judgement on the young man until the FACTS come out in the wash.

The news sensationalizes to get a story and your attention.

Their is a difference between an "intruder" and a "burglar" 

Alternative Thought from my Conspiracy Theorist Mind 

Was he visiting a young tendercut , whose folks came back sooner than expected ?

Daddys sweet little Angel doesnt know who that strange man is hiding in her room officer.

This may have not been a "Burglary" persay , and may turn out to be another Johran McCormick story.

RIP to Mr Swift ........

Was he visiting a young tendercut , whose folks came back sooner than expected ?

Daddys sweet little Angel doesnt know who that strange man is hiding in her room officer.

This may have not been a "Burglary" persay , and may turn out to be another Johran McCormick story.

RIP to Mr Swift ........

A.)  not passing judgement but what business does he have with a knife in someone else's home when they aren't there?

B.) I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that it was to be a burglary if he was armed with that said knife...could have had worse intentions.

A.)  not passing judgement but what business does he have with a knife in someone else's home when they aren't there?

B.) I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that it was to be a burglary if he was armed with that said knife...could have had worse intentions.

Knife is planted to make it Justifiable Homocide sir , Police Training 101.

Hopefully phone records between the decedent and female resident will prove this was no Buglary.

Johran McCormick Case: Family of teen killed in girlfriend's bedroom want girl charged - CBS News

This is the hidden content, please

It is a possibility that a girl was involved.  I haven't heard that one was.  I don't think charges have been filed against the home owner.  The family of the deceased would have to hire an expensive criminal lawyer to get anything going on this case.  I'm thinking they don't have the resources or the will to do so.  I am not passing judgement.  We all make choices, good ones and bad.  It is what it is.

As the old saying goes: "open and shut case Watson."

Edited by Kountzer

RIP to Mr Swift ........

news reporting that when the family returned, one of their "young children found him in their room armed with a knife".  Doesn't really fit your narrative, but I guess we'll see.  Also, a burglar IS an intruder.

Edited by bullets13

So a female was involved.  That changes things slightly but not enough to matter.  The guy is still dead.  I am not a lawyer though.  As someone mentioned there was a similar case in Houston, I think it was in the North.  The girl's age is a factor. If she is a minor and Swift is an adult it doesn't look good to the law.  I doubt it will go to court.  

Edited by Kountzer