NEDERLAND BULLDOG CLASSIC/POST UPDATES HERE!

WOSgrad

Has to be the weakest tournament field in the history of the bulldog classic.  Definitely a recipe for success. 

Not so sure about that! Maybe compared to some of the recent tournaments but in the History?  Alvin is very athletic and has one of the best guards I've seen.. 6'6" and can shoot from deep.  La Christian was also good, They had some height and good athletes. Lets not try to discredit what Nederland did tonight.. they beat a pretty darn good field. Oh and also beat a undefeated Kelly Bulldogs by a large margin.  Congrats dogs on being the first Nederland team to win the classic. 

Not so sure about that! Maybe compared to some of the recent tournaments but in the History?  Alvin is very athletic and has one of the best guards I've seen.. 6'6" and can shoot from deep.  La Christian was also good, They had some height and good athletes. Lets not try to discredit what Nederland did tonight.. they beat a pretty darn good field. Oh and also beat a undefeated Kelly Bulldogs by a large margin.  Congrats dogs on being the first Nederland team to win the classic. 

Don't forget Fallbrook Academy with two kids over 6'7 with a very athletic team. Took 3rd beating Alvin tonight.

Edited by winwin

I like Nederland's starting 5. Garrett Ary to me is the perfect role player. That guy plays defense, distributes the ball and can make a bucket when he needs to. I love watching him play the game. 

^^^^^ This.. I couldn't agree more.  The young man doesn't complain and just plays hard. He plays very smart and takes care of the ball.  Nederland is very lucky to have him.  

Not surprised that Nederland won, but I'm a bit surprised that they did it so comfortably.

Our boys came out with high energy from the big win over Alvin. Not to mention wanting to avenge a loss to Kelly earlier this year on opening night AND the fact that our Freshman AND JV teams both won 1st place yesterday in the BUlldog Classic as well.  And coach E had them extra fired up since Ned has never won our own tourney. 

All of the above led to a high intensity from our boys to start the game. We had a huge 1st Q and caused chaos with Kelly's back court and carried that momentum through the half. Both teams were sluggish to start the 3rd, but Ned never allowed Kelly to get within 18.

Congrats to Miguez, Kevin, and Darrell on all tourney honors. 

Go Dawgs. 

Our boys came out with high energy from the big win over Alvin. Not to mention wanting to avenge a loss to Kelly earlier this year on opening night AND the fact that our Freshman AND JV teams both won 1st place yesterday in the BUlldog Classic as well.  And coach E had them extra fired up since Ned has never won our own tourney. 

All of the above led to a high intensity from our boys to start the game. We had a huge 1st Q and caused chaos with Kelly's back court and carried that momentum through the half. Both teams were sluggish to start the 3rd, but Ned never allowed Kelly to get within 18.

Congrats to Miguez, Kevin, and Darrell on all tourney honors. 

Go Dawgs. 

Spot on! 

I can tell you one thing for sure! Kelly didn't want to see Nederland in the finals. I saw several Kelly fans in attendance during the Alvin game and they didn't look real happy to see Nederland beat Alvin by the point spread they needed to advance to the finals. I think most Kelly fans were very happy and content with the 3 point win over the dogs on the season opener.  

I can tell you one thing for sure! Kelly didn't want to see Nederland in the finals. I saw several Kelly fans in attendance during the Alvin game and they didn't look real happy to see Nederland beat Alvin by the point spread they needed to advance to the finals. I think most Kelly fans were very happy and content with the 3 point win over the dogs on the season opener.  

I hate to speak for the fans, but the team didn't feel that way. We knew either match up would be tough. Looking at earlier match up's, we beat Fallbrook 75-63 but had a 21 point lead before emptying the bench. Fallbrook beat Alvin 78-63. Nederland beat Alvin by 7. So match up's dont always tell the story. Nederland wanted that trophy more. They earned it! I can say that our fans think we can compete with anyone we play. They won't ever be content.

Your correct, match up's don't always tell the story. Alvin is heavily dependent on there big PG. He was on fire against Nederland and played terrible against Fallbrook.  If he didn't have the game he had vs Nederland they would of lost by 30. Alvin will beat some good teams this year and lose to some they shouldn't. 

Your correct, match up's don't always tell the story. Alvin is heavily dependent on there big PG. He was on fire against Nederland and played terrible against Fallbrook.  If he didn't have the game he had vs Nederland they would of lost by 30. Alvin will beat some good teams this year and lose to some they shouldn't. 

I know this...anyone who thinks this was a weak field is sorely mistaken. Sure there were some weaker teams in it, but there are weak teams in every tournament. Take the top 4 from the Bulldog Classic and top 4 from the YMBL and 2 from each tournament would be your semi final games. Maybe 3 from the Bulldog Classic

Edited by winwin

BMTCOUGS..

You were quick to talk about Nederland losing to Kelly first game of season. Now they win the tourney and  you say its weak. Come on man, that blowout lastnight was weak. Give Ned thier props.. 

#karma#asskickinglastnight

I doubt seriously he or she is a Kelly follower. More likely a Nederland hater. 

Where is the rolling eyes emoji when I need it...? LOL!!

When I said it was weak I think I said in a while. Which was basically meaning sense I was a freshman 2010. That year it had Galveston Ball, Silsbee, Etc... The next year I can't recall who was in it but my junior year that had Isiah Taylor and the village, HCYA, and the list goes on. My senior year the only team that didn't really belong was us, Community Christian, and even then we were a fill in. Silsbee was in the worst final day bracket play that year. So compared to recent years yes the tournament was weak. But the top teams are pretty darn good

When I said it was weak I think I said in a while. Which was basically meaning sense I was a freshman 2010. That year it had Galveston Ball, Silsbee, Etc... The next year I can't recall who was in it but my junior year that had Isiah Taylor and the village, HCYA, and the list goes on. My senior year the only team that didn't really belong was us, Community Christian, and even then we were a fill in. Silsbee was in the worst final day bracket play that year. So compared to recent years yes the tournament was weak. But the top teams are pretty darn good

Very good observation ccs :)

But how can one determine that teams like Fallbrook, Alvin and La Christian are weak this early in a new season without seeing them...which I'm assuming no one had? Just going off school names isnt always a good indicator. Ozen and Central would have been in a dog fight against any of those three. 

But how can one determine that teams like Fallbrook, Alvin and La Christian are weak this early in a new season without seeing them...which I'm assuming no one had? Just going off school names isnt always a good indicator. Ozen and Central would have been in a dog fight against any of those three. 

Well Fallbrooks game against PNG told alot. Fallbrooks has the players just not the togetherness. As most prep schools. They just acquire talent and hope it works. Alvin is only as good as how well Savion Flagg plays. Been that way for two years. Will be the same for the next two. LA Christian hasn't impressed me in any game I've seen them play which is a small sample size. Other than Kelly and Nederland these teams do not impress me. Especially not on the same level as 4 years ago. 

Well Fallbrooks game against PNG told alot. Fallbrooks has the players just not the togetherness. As most prep schools. They just acquire talent and hope it works. Alvin is only as good as how well Savion Flagg plays. Been that way for two years. Will be the same for the next two. LA Christian hasn't impressed me in any game I've seen them play which is a small sample size. Other than Kelly and Nederland these teams do not impress me. Especially not on the same level as 4 years ago. 

fair enough. But would you agree that the YMBL also had a weaker field?