Ex-Pirate Cole back on courth for 'Hawks

Ex-Pirate Cole back on courth for 'Hawks

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

PORT ARTHUR — Vidor fans remember his shooting touch and his ability to work without the basketball.

Lamar State College-Port Arthur coach Don Bryson remembers the day Noah Cole gave him news he was headed back to the Seahawks.

Cole, a former Vidor Pirate, first committed to the Lamar State College-Port Arthur Seahawks before getting an offer to go play basketball for Arkansas Tech.

Those plans fell through when Cole broke his ankle and tore ligaments in early October during a practice.

So instead of moving, Cole worked himself back into shape and gave Bryson a call.

“When he first decided to leave he had the opportunity to better his career and we were happy for him,†Bryson said. “We are more than pleased to have him back. He has done a great job for us.â€

Cole scored 21 points Saturday in an 84-82 overtime loss to the Northwestern Louisiana State University junior varsity.

On Wednesday, Cole scored 27 in an 89-86 loss to Mountain View College, a team the Seahawks defeated 78-76 in overtime on Jan. 13 in Port Arthur.

Cole is averaging 9.1 points per game this season to go with 1.6 rebounds. He is shooting 48 percent from the field, 36 percent from three-point land and 82 percent from the free throw line.

“There was so much damage done when I broke my ankle,†Cole said. “It is great getting back into shape and being back out on the court. They said it would take six to eight months to heal but I worked hard to cut that time down. It was around Christmas time when they cleared me to get back on the court.â€

Bryson said he has leaned on Cole a lot this season and has asked him to do more than most shooting guards expect.

“He has to do more than most shooters like to do,†Bryson said. “He has to bring the ball up a lot for us and is just now starting to get himself good shots. He knows shooting percentage goes with taking good shots. He has become real smart with what shots he takes.â€

Bryson said he and Cole did not talk much right after the shooter decided to move on to Arkansas State.

“He came to us after the injury,†Bryson said. “I didn’t see him after the injury other than to wish him luck. He had to work hard on his own and he did whatever it took to play again.â€

This is not the first time an injury has struck the former Pirate.

In high school Cole tore his anterior cruciate ligament when playing for Vidor.

“I knew if I could come back from tearing my ACL then I could come back from this injury,†Cole said. “It takes hard work. The coaches here really care about us on the court and also want us to succeed as people. That is why they push us.

“When I told them I was headed to Arkansas they were proud for me. Then they took me right back. Coach Bryson is a great guy.â€

While Cole is starting to heat up in the scoring department, he is still trying to adjust to a few aspects of the college game.

“The speed at this level is very different,†Cole explained. “There are a lot of big guys in each game and everyone is as quick as they come. It is good to know I still had a place to play.â€

The Seahawks are 4-18 overall and 2-5 in Metro Atlantic Conference play. LSC-PA returns home at 2 p.m. Saturday to play Richland College in the Carl Park Center.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    nanoflowcell
    Newest Member
    nanoflowcell