Cop killed in Houston

PhatMack19

Just heard the murderous thugs attorney say he thinks he can get his clients charges dropped from capital murder to murder.  Because, according to the lawyer, Deputy Gorforth may have been at the gas station to meet this woman he was supposedly having a relationship with.  Can anyone explain this?  Maybe tvc has an answer.  As far as I'm concerned, go ahead and give the POS the needle.  

Just heard the murderous thugs attorney say he thinks he can get his clients charges dropped from capital murder to murder.  Because, according to the lawyer, Deputy Gorforth may have been at the gas station to meet this woman he was supposedly having a relationship with.  Can anyone explain this?  Maybe tvc has an answer.  As far as I'm concerned, go ahead and give the POS the needle.  

i dont know how the two instances are connected, the shooter didn't know either of them. Media probably thinks she lured him there. Then again hell if I know :)

The law says that it is capital murder to kill a police officer who is " acting in the lawful discharge of an official duty". 

It depends on what is decided as an official duty.  I think that it means you're on duty or acting as a police officer at that moment and were killed because you were a police officer.  I think his attorney is trying to make the point that the officer had to be taking some kind of official action. 

I do not believe that is the law and certainly not how it was intended. Being on duty "is" acting as a peace officer.  As an example in San Antonio about 4 years ago a deputy was killed while sitting at a red light. He was taking no action other than driving but the suspect was charged and went to trial for Capital Murder. What "official act" was he taking other than patrolling, which to me is an "official duty". 

That is what lawyers do, try to figure out some angle. I don't think it will work however. 

The law says that it is capital murder to kill a police officer who is " acting in the lawful discharge of an official duty". 

It depends on what is decided as an official duty.  I think that it means you're on duty or acting as a police officer at that moment and were killed because you were a police officer.  I think his attorney is trying to make the point that the officer had to be taking some kind of official action. 

I do not believe that is the law and certainly not how it was intended. Being on duty "is" acting as a peace officer.  As an example in San Antonio about 4 years ago a deputy was killed while sitting at a red light. He was taking no action other than driving but the suspect was charged and went to trial for Capital Murder. What "official act" was he taking other than patrolling, which to me is an "official duty". 

That is what lawyers do, try to figure out some angle. I don't think it will work however. 

thanks